Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Greedy Publishers vs Used Books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2010, 4:55:05 AM PST
ictamots says:
I have read all of the back titles from Lee Child, purchased on my Kindle, but refuse to support the Greedy Publisher pricing and pay $13.95 for the latest Kindle preorder.

The Greedy Publishers are forgetting a key fact: Kindle purchases are basically read-once purchases, and that they can not be resold to the used marketplace. While I'm all for supporting the author, and have purchased more books in the last year (via kindle) than I have the previous five, that game is over.

A recent used book purchase ($0.15 for a slightly-used recent Michael Crichton) made me realize how Greedy and short-sighted the publishers are behaving. Well, good luck with that approach.

Meanwhile, I'll be supporting reasonably-priced Kindle titles and supporting recycled dead-tree books (where the publishers see no revenues).

Posted on Feb 26, 2010, 6:46:41 AM PST
Stiksister says:
I too am a big fan of the Reacher series. I would buy the new one at release if the ebook was priced more reasonably ($9.99 or less). @ $13.95 I will wait for the price to be lower or get it at the library or wait for used paperback. There is no reason for ebooks to be priced so high.

Posted on Mar 12, 2010, 1:41:08 PM PST
D. Barge says:
I have to agree that publishers are shortsighted and greedy. I bought the Kindle since I have no more room to store books! I found out that I won't be able to keep Kindle books forever, there is a limit to how many I can keep (although it may take awhile to reach my limit). But the potential for re-purchasing a book is there, and Amazon Kindle means I will be purchasing again from the publisher, instead of the used book market. I had purchased all of Lee Child in paperback, new, and again in Kindle (so they have already got my money twice for each book!). Although I like Lee Child's books very much, not enough to pay more than 9.99 for one, even a new release. There are very few authors I would buy a hardback for. I don't have space for hardbacks, and one thing I have learned, there is very little market for a used hardback, even a popular author, I have tried selling for $1 + shipping and no one wanted them.

Posted on Mar 17, 2010, 7:56:26 AM PDT
Stiksister says:
Why can't you keep your Kindle books forever? I have not found any reference to any limit or expiration of Kindle books anywhere. There is a limit as to how many books you can have actually on the Kindle at one time, but all your purchased books are archived online in your Amazon account and of course you can keep backup copies on your computer also. You can remove and reload your books onto the Kindle whenever you want by either re downloading them from Amazon or transferring from your computer back on to the Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2010, 9:06:42 PM PDT
Right on ictamots on all your points. I like having over 900 books in my Kindle and my Tablet/Netbook but I like low pricing and being able to loan my books too. I will not buy the new Kindle books until they come down in price. Lee Childs is terrific but there are many others that I enjoy as much at way less than $9.99 even. I got a Don Brown for zero a month or so ago. Terrific!
The new book folks better find out what the Supply Demand Curve is if they want success!

Posted on Mar 22, 2010, 9:13:55 PM PDT
Anyone else notice that people write English here in these Kindle discussions? Few spelling misteaks (!) - less poor grammar... YIPEE!!!

Posted on Mar 29, 2010, 1:56:53 AM PDT
Publishers are greedy? Nah, but they are poor. They should take Economics 101 and find out what the supply/demand curve means.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2010, 5:54:33 PM PDT
ScottBooks says:
If you are cheap you can wait for the paperback to come out in a year. Then the kindle price will drop.

I'll let you know how the book is...It'll be on my Kindle around 3am Eastern the day it's released.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2010, 12:40:52 AM PDT
W. Damour says:
And are you still buying vinyl records and 8 track tapes for full price, ScottBooks?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2010, 8:11:16 AM PDT
ScottBooks says:
I still buy CDs. Don't think you have a point though.

I still buy DTBs for full price when they aren't available for the Kindle. I'd prefer to buy Kindle editions but since Amazon wouldn't subsidize prices forever and I would like for the publishers to keep developing authors and giving them big advances--I'm fine with $15 eBooks. I'm still saving over what I would pay for the hardcover and I get to read it on my Kindle (which is a huge advantage!).

Posted on Apr 20, 2010, 2:29:39 PM PDT
Tom M says:
These discussions drive me crazy.
Everyone has options
The publisher can charge more or less for a book depending on popularity,what the author is getting in royalties and how new the title is
The consumer can choose to spend an extra couple of bucks to get it during hardcover release or wait for it to be off the bestseller list
I'll wait or purchase at a higher price depending on how important it is for me to read.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2010, 9:06:08 AM PDT
Analisse says:
Thanks for stating my thoughts so clearly! Ditto!!!

Posted on May 3, 2010, 2:18:36 PM PDT
Whatever I choose to buy (and it's usually nothing over 9.99) I still think the price is better than a $25.00 hardback that takes up all that space in my house. My husband and I share books, and my daughter is getting her Kindle soon as she has the $$, and she'll get added to share as well. The Kindle, for all it's drawbacks, limitations, and so on, is the best new tech tool I've bought in a long time. The cost of the Kindle itself is a good value for a tool with access and convenience not possible before; and if you've ever gone on a two week business trip to Europe, it's wonderful to not lug 50 pounds of books around!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010, 3:01:38 PM PDT
Jack. N. says:
paperbackswap.com--they take hardcovers too--great website--FREE--check it out

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010, 12:22:40 PM PDT
nrv says:
All true, but it is frustrating when the kindle model is more expensive than the hardback or new release and I have seen it happen. Plus, you can almost always get a coupon for barnes & noble or borders for a new hardback and many of the bookstores have the new ones on sale at 40% off or you can go to costco.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010, 1:08:54 PM PDT
Buy 'em used. I buy "good" and better grades and have received some top-notch volumes for a penny or two each.

Posted on Oct 14, 2010, 2:44:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2010, 2:46:42 PM PDT
Pricing: I wonder how many authors are insisting on high prices. I note that certain authors' books are consistently priced high.

I have little doubt that a popular author can push his books' prices up.

A smart strategy would be to emulate what happens in most product lines: price high when new then drop the price on aging product. That works!

Posted on Aug 4, 2011, 4:30:13 AM PDT
I also find it annoying that kindle books that are 30 years old or more are still priced at hard cover prices. I would love to recreate my paperback library on the kindle, but some of the books I bought in 1970 for 2.95 have the kindle edition 13.00 or more. Some of these authors have passed away too, so I don't think they are demanding compensation for their work at this point.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, Book 14)
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, Book 14) by Lee Child (Hardcover - May 18, 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars (2,232)