Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services girlss6 tgirlss6 girlss6  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on March 4, 2014
Got this magnificent book in a great copy from a seller called RentU. RentU certainly came up with the best copy as it is literally as good as new. So well done to RentU books for their quality products and care in packaging and efficient postage system.

The book is in itself a great work of scholarship and it is a must have in any serious library, simply as an example of the paradeigma of scholarship of a literary subject.

For a lover of the Greeks and an admirer of the profundity of their systems to hold this book equates to a religious reverence of a bible believer and beholder.

A truly awesome and reverend possession - not to mention pretty handy for use.
on October 3, 2013
For anyone interested in Greek prose composition, an English to attic Greek dictionary is a must. Yonge's dictionary is a great resource and provides scholars with plenty of options for composing attic greek prose. The only problem with this edition is the print quality is rather low. The English is very easy to read, but the Greek can be difficult to decipher. This is not an edition for those who struggle with small or blurry print. If you're looking for a hard copy with which to work, this is not bad for the cost; however, I recommend cross-referencing a pdf edition online or the online Woodhouse through the University of Chicago.
on October 8, 2009
By all means avoid the 2009 U. of Michigan edition of this indispensable book. It is a Google digital facsimile. Most pages are merely ugly, but perhaps fifty are so smudged, as if someone had dragged an inked rag across them, as to be completely illegible. I had to return my copy. Make sure to get the book produced by Oxford University Press.
on May 17, 2013
This was just what I needed
It covers these works which I just purchased
Dorothei Sidonii carmen astrologicum
Vettius Valens Antiochenus Anthologiarum Libri Novem
Hephaestio Thebanus Apotelesmaticorum, vol. I: Libri Tres
I also have the 7th edition Intermediate Lexicon but it didn't cut the mustard.
I Highly Recommend the Greek-English Lexicon, Ninth Edition with a Revised Supplement I am very happy
that I bought this Greek-English Lexicon
on July 10, 2016
An old and poorly printed lexicon, but the only one available. Thank goodness it was published.
on November 8, 2016
It was a gift.
on January 9, 2005
As an ageing student of Greek, an aged pensioner only half way through the second year of a university course in the subject, I decided to ask my wife to give me the big lexicon for Christmas. Some say it is best to wait until more advanced study is required, but waiting several years at my age is perhaps overly optimistic. Generally I find the Intermediate version very useful, and I have it sitting on top of the Big One. I am sure the large version will be of considerable use, but it won't be travelling with me. I also have the small version which fits well into my luggage.

The use of Victorian English does not worry me (we can all change "hither" and "thither" into more likely expressions), but the smallness of the print and its lack of clarity is a bit of a problem. I have decided that when I use the unabridged edition it will be in the daytime, and on sunny days at that! I am very thankful for a little magnifying set-up that I made when using Reading Greek as a textbook- very clear but very small print. My spectacles help too of course!

A CD-ROM version may be useful to some people, but I much prefer books for frequent use. The computer is in a different room from where I do my real work. I couldn't stand having one of these monstrosities looking at me as I study Greek.

So far I am very positive about the large version of the lexicon. It can hardly have five stars because it has some inadequacies, but it is better to have it than not. I might write another review in a year's time and give a revised view.

................................................................

Now, almost one year later I can say that I have found it very useful, especially with post-classical words, and more especially with some vocabulary found on inscriptions and papyri.
on May 28, 2007
This review specifically refers to the "Big Liddle", ninth edition with revised supplement and inclusive of Linear B references.

This book is indispensable for the professional or Graduate Student. It even includes Linear B Mycenaean Greek entries. This gargantuan work is the definitive Greek-English dictionary. I was not able to read Pindar or the Lyric poets easily without the Big Liddle. My major gripe is that it is rather poorly made. The edges of the very thin pages stuck together and each page had to be separated by hand or flicking the pages. The paper is sliver thin, and some of it was creased in the binding - upsetting in a $160 book. On reviewing the front, I noted that it was printed and bound in China and can't help feeling that if it were printed in Europe or the US it might have been better quality. Eventually, the pages separated and I am now able to use it without problems (although the few creased pages still irritate me).

Regard this review as five stars for content but three for the quality of binding/manufacture.
on March 19, 2014
The copy of the Liddell lexicon (Great Scott, largest edition, 9th ed. with 1996 Supplement) which I received, was printed and bound in China by "Sheck Wah Tong." Regarding the lightness of print, I found this to be true. Some letters (English or Greek) are very light, sometimes with parts of letters missing, BUT not to the point of unreadability so far. Every lookup I've done, I was able to read the article. I've detected no creased pages, no ink smears, and no missing text that I can see. Previously I had bought the "Intermediate" Liddell, and the copy I received of that was printed in India by Gopsons Papers Ltd, and I would say the printing job there was better than in the copy of the "Great Scott" I purchased. Still, I'm happy with both book purchases.
on August 9, 2016
The definitive Greek lexicon for serious Greek studies particularly outside the NT. This edition is the one to have- don't be fooled by cheaper reprints. Includes a supplement with additional material on many terms.