Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on November 6, 2003
I'm not sure some of the other reviewers have really understood the point of this book. If you come across a verbal form you can't recognise, you can look it up in this book and it will tell you what form of the verb it is (i.e. 3 person singular, future tense), as well as the present form of the verb. In other words, it takes out all the difficulty in identifying verbs because you don't have to re-form the present tense in your head - you just look the verb up straight! If you still don't know the verb, then you look it up in a lexicon which will take less than 5 seconds because you already have the present form. Easy!
I don't know what on Earth kept Mr. Marinone going, but you must pay tribute to him for publishing an essential book that takes much of the heartache out of translation. A must if you are embarking on Thucydides / Xenophon etc.
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 15, 2007
In spite of Professor Johnson's advice below, as an ageing student of pre-WWII vintage, I will never reach the stage when I won't need the crutch of Mr Marinone. I have found it very useful over the past few years. Principal parts are gradually learned as they are used, but for me memorisation of many of them (perhaps most?) will never happen. As one who has to keep re-learning even the basic verbs in omega and mi, books like this one will be often picked up as long as I am able to keep going with Greek.

On rare occasions I have not been able to find what I was looking for in the book, but lack of perfection does not spoil its usefulness.
on November 15, 2013
I am in Europe at the moment, and I am reading Plato's Gorgias. I do not have my usual tools, the LSJ, Smyth's grammar, Goodwin's GMT, and Tutti Verbi Greci. So, I have had to find my tools here in Bruxelles. Since virtually everything can be purchased online, I purchased Tutti Verbi Greci, and I use it almost everyday to identify verbs that I do not immediately recognize or to confirm my educated conjectures.
on June 21, 2013
Many reviewers seem to have missed the point of this book:

- It isn't to study a list of verbs with their conjugation, so it makes no sense to rate it poorly for not being one. There are books specifically for this.

- It isn't a dictionary either, and it would be really cumbersome to try to fit a good one into it unless you don't mind multiplying its size by three or more. If you don't recognize the principal form, why don't you get a dictionary? Is it really necessary that, apart from telling you that "épausa" is the 1st sing aorist indicative active of "paúo", it tells you that its meaning is "I stopped", etc.? And if you know the verb but need more help than this then get a grammar too! Anyway, English tenses don't correspond exactly, so if you don't know what an aorist is, you're missing part of the meaning.

- Not all the forms of all verbs appear. There are many forms missing, probably less frequent ones, so its usefulness is drastically reduced unless you are a beginner, because for advanced learners the forms you don't recognize will be probably the ones missing. That is the reason I rate it with only two stars.

Anyway, books like this were made obsolete by tools like the one in the Perseus repository of texts. You find the text, click on the word (any word, not only verbs) and you get an analysis of the form (there may be more than one possible), a quick translation of the basic form, and links to several dictionaries if the simple translation given is not enough (with verbs, it often isn't).
on January 9, 2007
This book is a listing of those forms of the Classical Greek verb which students are likely to meet in reading the texts of the Greek canon. When I was an undergraduate (in the 1960's) I was rather severely scolded by my Latin professor for possessing a copy, and for years I was ashamed of myself. His reasoning was this: the student should have memorized the principal parts of the verb by the time s/he was at university. Alas, I was not so learned at the time. Now, as a professor of Classics, I can be smug about not needing Marinone's listing anymore. However, I encourage my undergrads to use it. It saves a huge amount of time; the student otherwise is scrambling through assorted verb-lists and lexica. Marinone is a crutch, however, and let's be frank about it. Know, o undergrads, that eventually you will have to swallow and incarnate all of his verbs if you intend to read Greek with ease and comprehension!
on July 26, 2014
After using this for a month, it is helpful, but it does not include all the verb form that I have encountered. The printing quality of the font could be improved as well
on October 30, 2011
I love this book and use it constantly while translating Euripides into Russian. It has helped me again and again to identify a verb that puzzled me. However, the title of this book is misleading. Don't expect to find "all" the Greek verbs in it. This is far from being so. Also, some forms of certain verbs are included and some, not less difficult ones, are left out according to the author's subjective preference. To cut it short: it is a very useful book (binding could be better). It will certainly help you many times, and many times it won't. Still, it is a good thing to have if you intend to read Ancient Greek seriously.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 2, 2010
I had heard great things about this book but was overall disappointed with it. It seems like every time I used it, the verb I was trying to find wasn't listed. I also bought it with the hopes that it would have all 6 principal parts for every verb listed, but it does not. For those less familiar with greek verbs it could be a worthwhile purchase, but anyone who has a solid knowledge of verbs and their principal parts probably won't get much use out of this book. I RARELY use it.
on August 27, 2003
Pointless? I don't think so at all. This is not a lexicon or dictionary and it never pretends to be. This book helps the classical student identify tricky verb forms and it does an excellent job at that.
In Italian, yes. But keep in mind that this book is basically just a long list of verb forms. I don't speak a word of Italian and I can easily understand the abbreviations. The only thing I can't read is the book's brief preface.
An excellent book for any Ancient Greek reader who needs help with verb forms.
0Comment| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 5, 2003
As an undergraduate in Classical Greek, I bought N. Marinone's ALL THE GREEK VERBS several months ago thinking that it would be an indispensible resource for my studies. It has done little but gather dust for much of the time, but when a verb form was the only thing standing in the way of completing a translation and was driving me to madness, the book proved indispensable.

ALL THE GREEK VERBS is a English-language cover around Marinone's Italian-language work "Tutti i verbi graeci." It lists over 13,000 forms alphabetically along with their tense, mood, and person, and their dictionary form. There are also several pages of tables which show the regular endings of -o, -ao, -eo, and the few types of -mi verbs.

Greek doesn't have so many verbs that one would be turning to such a guide very often, but there are several tricky forms which I never tend to remember. Resources like Perseus wordlinks are faster to use and have greater coverage, but require an Internet connection and are hard on one's eyes. I don't often reach a point where I will absolutely need a work like ALL THE GREEK VERBS (I also bought Lidell & Scott's GREEK LEXICON and find it overkill for undergrads), but when I do it's a lifesaver. A vital work for classicists.
0Comment| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse