Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on January 25, 2016
I am glad that I read this book on Kindle at the recommendation of a wise friend (retired English professor) and did not read the extensive reviews ahead of time. Please do not read any review that reveals the PLOT before you start to read this book. Allow yourself to be surprised at the unexpected twists and turns. You will find yourself saying, "Oh no!" more than once as the characters do things you would never expect to see in a more conventional novel.

I almost quit reading early in the story--wondering where the author was taking us as the plot slowly developed. I am so glad I persevered. The changing locations and scenery of the story motivated me to get out my atlas and find the spots so elegantly described. You will want to travel there!

The characters in the story are so well drawn that they will remind you of Charles Dickens at his best. The THEME of the story is profound, especially about the changing nature of love and the difference between immature, selfish love and mature love. Insights also abound about the nature of true versus counterfeit spirituality. After reading it on Kindle, I decided I wanted to get my own hard copy to keep and read again.
on April 6, 2016
Goudge is a genius. If you remember getting lost in huge tomes like "Little Women" as a child, you'll love this book as a grown person. You're all over the world in this book, and you love the characters and how their lives evolve over time. Should be read by everyone! Goudge provides introspective and humorous insight into her characters. She weaves her stories like Dickens did, but the difference is that there are exquisitely profound touches and glimpses of God's nature in her character. I wish she were still writing.
on December 19, 2011
I first read this book when I was in high school. Loved it then and loved re-reading it almost 60 years later.

In the days when sailing ships still ruled the oceans, two young well-to-do sisters are both enamored with the same man, who is a bit of a ne'er-do-well and is, himself, in love with one of the sisters. He gets into a bit of trouble and must leave England for the untamed colony of New Zealand. The man never forgets his true love and after a few years in New Zealand, he writes back to England, asking the woman-he-never-forgot to join him in New Zealand as his wife. The only problem is--he gets the names mixed up and addresses the letter to the wrong sister! The sister mistakenly chosen defies her parents and makes the trip half way around the world to join the man she loves. He is horrified to see the "wrong woman" on board ship but realizes he cannot reject her and send her back to England. So he makes the best of the situation.

Through earthquakes and uprisings of the aboriginal people of New Zealand, this is a sweeping story of love, hardship, redemption. It is a most enjoyable historical novel and today still reads as well as it did when first published.
GREEN DOLPHIN STREET REVIEW

I first read “Green Dolphin Street” when I was about fourteen, motivated, no doubt, by the 1947 movie that featured exciting scenes of sailing, New Zealand, earthquakes, tidal waves, wild weather, natives, and swashbuckling adventure. The fact that it starred Lana Turner and Donna Reed was surely a factor because of their luminous beauty that scratched the libido of a teen aged boy.

I remember the read as a good one, although, as I grind through it now, it seems stodgy, overwritten, and full of sermonizing. That’s normal for Elizabeth Goudge (1900-1984) who was known to be very religious and painstakingly deliberate in her writing. The story of two siblings, an adventurer fond of drink, a rough-hewn lumber man, a glorious clipper ship with it’s heroic captain, a glorious country filled with cannibals, and romance that borders on sappy is the makeup of Goudge’s story. My copy is very old with dog-eared pages and a strong mildewy smell. Possibly that has shaped my opinion.

I haven’t found much on Goudge’s background but there has been no indication that she ever visited or researched New Zealand. That makes for some question as to the authenticity of her setting. I’m a stickler for authenticity. She was, however, a prolific writer, and is still highly regarded, a standing that enhances her believability.

I recommend this book for romantics who like a touch of adventure, distantly in the style of Bronte or Austen. Goudge should be admired for her strong characterizations and scenic descriptions. Some of her writing is beautifully wrought with exhilarating accounts of weather and ocean.

The book is lengthy with small type, making it a drudge to read. But if historical romance is your primary reading preference, “Green Dolphin Street” might be for you.

Schuyler T Wallace
Author of TIN LIZARD TALES
on December 26, 2016
I loved this book when I read it in the '60s and wanted to see if the feeling remained the same. It did! A lovely, lovely story well told. On my first read, I became completely fascinated with New Zealand. In two months I will finally be making my first trip to the fair island. It will not be quite the wild and untamed wilderness of "Green Dolphin Street" but I am sure I will find much to make it the remarkable land of romance of my imagination. I can't wait to see it, and that long ago reading of "Green Dolphin Street" started it all.
on March 10, 2017
Not my style of book. Slow start, slow middle... and I just couldn't bring myself to finish. But that's me! A friend of mine in our book club just loved it.
on December 11, 2016
The book's imaginative landscape and hopeful portrayal of real human struggle make it my very favorite. The author does wander onto a few lovely tangents, but she speaks of noble, real and important ideas in a narrative that is unforgettable. Read it, then read it again; despite some archaic diction, the book is of lasting quality.
on April 30, 2016
Possibly a forgotten classic, this is the thrilling story of three children who grow-up to be family and the beautiful means they engage to help each other and nurture each other's souls. Set in gorgeous locations from San Martinique to the shaking shores of New Zealand, it is also a story of pioneering adventure and journeys of every kind. An outstanding read. Terrible movie, but great book.
on August 24, 2014
I read this book when I was a teenager. It was one of my favorite books of all time. I decided to reread it at the age of sixty -seven. It has not disappointed me. The writing is exquisite and the story line is enthralling. I would be surprised if a young person today would find it interesting, but Oh what they are missing!!
on March 17, 2017
Such a lovely classic. I enjoyed this book many years ago and reread it again recently.
I enjoyed it just as much. Love Elizabeth Goudge's novels. Different era of writing and it is satisfying to me.