Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,833 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,983 reviews
on December 15, 2016
Anne of Green Gables is a wonderful classic story and it gets 5 stars. This particular printing, however, is completely unacceptable. It's as if someone typed it into a document, and printed it off--no page numbers, not titled at the top of each page, the lines don't even break properly (see photo). Purchased as a gift, thankfully with enough time to purchase a better quality copy--probably for less money! A disgrace to the publishing community.
review image review image
33 comments| 213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2016
I LOVED Anne of Green Gables as a child and own the complete hard copy of the Anne series. Initially, I was delighted to find this collection of books written by one of my all time favorite authors for only $0.99 (kindle price. What a steal!) and felt I had to get the digital copy for my kindle at once. As soon as the product was delivered to my device, I began to read it since it's been years since I've visited the darling world that L.M Montgomery created.

I was very surprised to find that I kept tripping on certain sentences; the writing didn't seem as smooth as I remembered. When I got to chapter 6, I decided to compare a sentence in the digital print to my old, yellowing physical copy of Anne of Green Gables book. I realized why I had some difficulty reading my new digital copy: THERE ARE TYPOS IN THIS PRODUCT.

It contains the WORST kinds of typos. There are typos in which it results in sentences that don't make sense. There are typos with the wrong pronouns in them that make it confusing for the reader to understand which character the publisher meant to write about. I am able to follow the story because I've read Anne of Green Gables more than once with my hard copy but for new readers, these typos will make this beautiful story difficult to read and at times, understand.

I hope the digital copy can be fixed so that owners can enjoy L.M. Montgomery's work as it was meant to be enjoyed. I have given this two stars instead of one because of the fabulous price for kindle readers.
11 comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2012
Two years ago I would have bet a bazillion dollars I would never read a "girls" book. But at 71 years of age I found myself in a house full of books only one of which I had not read. I am terrribly addicted to reading so, in desperation, I started "Anne of Green Gables". It is a marvelous book with a main character I wish I could meet every day in real life. Again to feed my addiction I bought the "Anne of Green Gables" series. Each book was a delight and I soon forgot that they were "girls" books. Maud created a character we all need in our life. She turns the mundane magical and believable. Reading them all in nearly a continous setting makes Anne "wearying" to quote Marilla since unbounded child-like wonder is hard to maintain. I wish I had read these books decades ago so Anne could have helped me through some less than happy times.
33 comments| 391 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2013
I mainly read this on my iPad mini, sideways, in 2 columns.
I usually like to read everything an author wrote, in the order in which they make sense, not necessarily the order they were written in. This collection has them in logical order, and seems to be complete (I think one might be missing). It's very convenient having them all in one place, and syncing across all my devices, so I can read anytime, anywhere, hassle free.
I really enjoyed the picture gallery before each book begins, of all the different book covers it was published in.
I'm also enjoying the stories! I actually never read any "Anne" books growing up, but thought I'd give them a try as a 40-something English teacher. I was hooked - I became fascinated with Montgomery's portrayal of country life over 100 years ago, and especially in Canada's Prince Edward Island region, which, as a fairly typical American, I know absolutely nothing about.
I think these books also appealed to me because my entire life revolves around school, and I also love nature, like Anne. Sure, she and the other characters are all goody-two shoes, Leave it to Beaver types, but I'm getting a little tired of the pervasive violence in society today (like shoot 'em up zombies and bondage). These books are just a nice little breath of fresh air! (By the way, back then, "nice" was not a good word - it meant superficial and fake. Just sayin'!)
on September 30, 2016
How is this book different?

1. It says "Complete Collection", but you are only getting Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. If you are wanting a complete "Complete Collection" of the Anne stories, this is not it.

2. Yes, there is a free audio book, but you get ads for it in the middle of your reading. At least they didn't put it smack in the middle of a paragraph or something. Kind of annoying.

3. Illustrations. Yep. They're there! But don't be fooled into thinking they actually have anything to do with the story. Not. One. Bit.

This will do for reading this series...erm...duo of books to my kids, but had I known about these 3 issues, I would have shopped around a little more. I guess the good thing is that it was only a $.99 mistake.
on January 30, 2016
First I have to say that the illustrations in this Kindle version are a joke! They are totally inappropriate for the story and some have Greek style pictures with a nude woman and not one depicts any character in the story???! I should have been tipped off by the cover photo that looks like Little Red Riding hood and she has black hair! Anne has red hair, so that makes no sense.
The story itself is wonderful and just what I remembered from reading it as a child. I am reading to my kids and they enjoy it very much.
on March 27, 2016
This is a great deal for all these books on the Kindle! My daughter was totally hooked on the series. Just note this set is missing Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne of Ingleside. We had to buy those separately.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2017
Wonderful books, if you haven't read them or you have and its been a while I highly suggest buying them again!
on December 19, 2016
Novels written during this time tend to rely heavily on lengthy descriptions of flowers, trees, sunsets, etc. but these novels are above and beyond. You might find yourself skipping 2 or 3 pages at a time without losing any of the story line. Still, I believe the books are enjoyable other than the relentless cheerfulness. I understand that is the nature of the books but when even funerals have a bright side it's a little too much. The final book is, in my opinion, the best. WWI is a sad part of history but this was dealt with very well without being overly cheerful or morbid. Some characters were sadly dropped after Anne's marriage (Davey, Dora, etc) but the addition of Mary Vance and Susan is reason alone to keep reading. "And that you may tie to" as Susan would say.
on December 2, 2016
This CLASSIC English literature story has been a children's best seller for decades. Amazon is selling (and we bought) knock-off copies print versions of the book - they are scanned and re-printed - probably overseas - by amateurs (not publishers) ,- they are hoping to make a buck or two. Therefore the first copy we bought was badly printed and reproduced with no thought to page numbering, editing, etc. Just scanned and thrown out on paper with no regard for the literary content. (We got our money back - thank you Amazon) The second copy we bought was slightly better - albeit titled "Anne Green Gables" with no idea of the actual title. It still appeared to have been scanned and reproduced. This classic deserves better treatment than this - a good quality hard copy version of the book would have been a better gift to our granddaughter.