Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 114 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 127 reviews
on June 10, 2016
I just want to say this book is a part of who I am today. I read Green Angel when I was around 15 years old. (Interesting how Green herself transitioned between those ages in both books). I am currently 18. I think I have reread this book maybe 100+ times. It has rewritten the way I think.

I have always compared myself to Green. I lost family, blamed myself for practically everything, and even followed self destructive behaviors with my bulimia and self-mutilation. As a poet and an artist, this book captures my love for metaphors and similes along with beautiful personification.

Alice Hoffman has changed my life. Taking sadness out of my brain and replacing it with a unlimited patience and hope inside my heart, she has transformed me into a new person. If it wasn't for this author I would be here today. I love this book. I annotated two copies of it. Highly recommended.

Simply beautiful.

I just found out there was a second book which I devoured in a mere two hours. However, despite
on April 2, 2017
The Horde burns the city because of its sins and with it 16-year old , Green loses her parents and sister.In her grief she becomes Ash. Others who have lost loved ones help her to become Green again and brings her strength she did not know she had. Hoffman makes the unbelievable believable. Her poetic prose draws you in. While the ending is not a surprise, it is the journey Green makes that creates the climax.
on May 4, 2012
This is my new favorite by Alice Hoffman. Although she deals with themes that are familiar if you have read her other work, she really is a master at depicting love, loss, and moving on. A note to those who are Hoffmann fans: there is much more magic in this magical realism and it reads more like an old fable or fairytale than anything else by her. The fairytale structure however, does not leave it feeling "old" or trite, it is more like comfort food for your brain. To me, it seemed like a story about 9/11 and the aftermath if 9/11 had happened "once upon a time." Despite the magic nature of the characters, they all seemed so real that I feel like I want to check back on them in a while to see what they have been up to. I hope this review makes some sense; it's hard to characterize something so profoundly beautiful. All I can really say is Green Heart gave me a happy heart.
on March 18, 2017
Alice Hoffman delivers as always a wonderfully magical novel. Love her prose, and imagination. Equal to Charles deLint in my mind and that is high praise.....
on May 27, 2015
Alice Hoffman is a stunning, moving author with a style from somewhere I've never read before. Unique to herself, I don't think she can be boxed. It's as if you have just met a photographer that finds the most unusual centimeters to focus on that were there all the time but were out of reach of your senses. Hoffman catapults you into realms of senses & being human that you didn't know existed, a world so engrossing that your own world disappears while you get lost in the first-person narrative, as if YOU are there. First-person novels are my favorite for it pulls me out of my world & into another's, & all the while you never know how deep & wide her psychology of humanity goes. Her subject matter is always so eccentric & off the usual tracks of literature, that you it is a true mini vacation every time !
on September 30, 2014
Having read and enjoyed the first Green book I was looking forward to this one, but was disappointed that at least half, if not more, of the book was taken up with repeats from book one. I thought it was totally unnecessary and found myself skipping page after familiar page. Readers who enjoy a book will remember it - we do not need such a long reintroduction. For me this has stopped my interest and anticipation in the latest offering in the Green series. I have taken if off my wish list.
on February 10, 2017
Before you roll your eyes at the fairy tale bit, just read this book! Different in ways than a lot of her books but every bit as wonderful. Whether you're an Alice Hoffman fan, like me, or this is the first book you've read by her, either way you're in for a 5 star treat! Thank you, Alice Hoffman-you never disappoint....
on September 22, 2015
I enjoyed this book very much. It is 2 books in one. I never like to give anything away but this book is almost like an adult fairytale. It was never boring and I read it in 2 days. I was hooked from the minute I began. It is about loss, love, friendship all wrapped up in a beautiful story.
on February 23, 2014
For anyone who has suffered a loss, this story guides the reader through all phases if grief and gives hope that it's possible to go on. Every outward display of Green, her friends and neighbors, beautifully parallels the inner world of grief. In the end, as she moves toward healing, her writing of their stories validates their collective experience and gives them an opening for healing as well. Lastly, I wish I had a tattoo that would change colors with my moods and feelings!
on February 21, 2013
Alice Hoffman was introduced to me by my daughter. I have loved her since. This book spoke to me through unimaginable circumstances about grief, recovery, joy in simplicity, and living the future in the present. This was imaginative and Alice has always been a master of language tale weaving. Another great read.