Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Green Lantern: Brightest Day
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 28, 2011
So this is the follow up to Blackest Night. All of the members of the different Lantern Corps are there and they all fit their parts quite well. Hal is noble and funny as always, Carol is there and is still dropping hints that she still loves him and wants him to dump Cowgirl and have him be with her. St. Walker is all hopeful and Sinestro is all conceited and self-centered like always.

However the two biggest characters I felt were Atrocious and Larfleeze. We find how more about the history of Larfleeze and why he is so greedy and always trying to acquire more objects. I can't say that we really find out more about the history of Atrocious, but we do find out that he considers his quest a holy one and that he thinks that he is above judgement for what he is trying to accomplish.

The bonus story at the end for Dex-Starr, the Red Lantern who is an adorable little kitty was pretty cool and was something I really enjoyed reading about.

The artwork for the book is pretty consistent and there are virtually no plotholes that I can think of. The ending of the book involves the Justice League trying to get Hal to open up to then and they offer their help, telling them that they are his friends and want to help him. But he declines their help and states this is something only the different Lantern Corps can handle.

This is a definite must have for all fans of the Green Lantern!
on June 27, 2011
Blackest Night is a hard act to follow, but Brightest Day does so nicely. I don't think Brightest Day is quite as action packed as Blackest Night, but it is nonetheless excellently written and beautifully illustrated. I especially like the in depth character developments for Attrocitus and Larfleeze, who we actually come to care for to some degree. And it's ALWAYS nice to see the interactions between Carol Ferris/Star Sapphire and Hal Jordan. The artwork, both from the coloring and pencils, is spectacular on every single page, and adds tremendously to the story, which actually takes a step back from the greater mystery that is happening in the main Brightest Day story line. But in all honesty, my absolute favorite part of the book was the small origin story for the feline Red Lantern, Dex-Starr. I remember thinking when I first saw his character, is that Red Lantern a CAT!? Indeed, it was. And this provides a small little back story for how he became a Red Lantern. And let me tell you, the art and writing captured the emotions PURRfectly. See what I did there? LOL I literally welled up reading that part, and it just showed me how absolutely talented he is, that Geoff Johns can write something that seemingly silly, and make it amazing. All in all, this is another great installment in the Green Lantern saga, and if you're a fan of the GL mythos, then you won't be disappointed by this.

Thanks so much for your time folks.
Sincerely, R.A. McDowell
on July 25, 2011
I love Geoff Johns run on Green Lantern. I own the original issues and the hardcovers. Its awesome. He has taken GL to an awesome level. I was shocked that the movie did not tap into his genius on constructing effective and well developed Green Lantern stories. I recommend it. You may want to pick up Blackest Night and Green Lantern Blackest night before you get this. Great Great Book!!!!
on August 29, 2013
After reading the Blackest Night series, this was a must-read, obviously. Can't get enough of seeing the different Corps members working together for what they believe is a righteous cause. Bit of a cliff-hanger at the end, but don't let this put you off, you definitely need to read this if your a fan of the series! Lot of insight into Larfleeze and the others, and vital information pertaining to the Guardians. Highly recommended!
on May 31, 2012
I've read every issue of Green Lantern from the time Geoff Johns took over with "Rebirth" through "Blackest Night." I'd heard some mixed thoughts on "The New Guardians," the anticipated follow-up to "Blackest Night" that is collected in this volume.

I'm pleased to say I completely disagree with any negative reviews this volume has gotten. It's tremendous.

Geoff Johns doesn't skip a beat here, continuing to write an action-packed, interesting, character-driven and, most importantly, FUN comic book. Johns' dialogue is spot-on, particularly between the characters of Hal Jordan, Sinestro and Carol "Star Sapphire" Ferris. Doug Mahnke's artwork is superb, bringing out-of-this-world characters like Atrocitus, Larfleeze and Saint Walker to vivid life.

The best part of the book, though, is the character development. We see, for one of the first times, genuine development in my favorite Green Lantern side character, Larfleeze, in addition to the spectacular comedy he always brings. Atrocitus gets an entire chapter dedicated to his quest for the rage entity known as The Butcher. Here we see Atrocitus in a more relatable light than usual. Hal Jordan, of course, is the focus of the story, as he deals with the fallout from Blackest Night and the many issues left unresolved at the end of that arc.

All in all, this book was a blast, far more interesting than the main Brightest Day mini-series. It also ends on a cliffhanger that left me chomping at the bit for "War of the Green Lanterns."

This is Geoff Johns at his best.
on April 12, 2014
A must own if you are unfamiliar with the entities. I found it a bit weak since it basically serves as an oversized prequel to War of the GL's and both books seemed to be a bit low quality. The storyline peaked at Blackest night and just got less impressive over time. Since Geoff Johns made GL a popular title again, you should be able to find it at a library for free, it really doesn't feel al that necessary but where Brightest day ends, War of the Gl's begins, so it really is up to you.
on July 28, 2011
After the Blackest Night event last year, I was curious and admittedly a little anxious as to how the introduction of the new Lantern Corps would mesh into the Green Lantern mythos in the long term. I purposefully waited on reading further until this hardcover collection came out, as I believe that getting the full story in one sitting is far more compelling (not to mention nicer on my wallet in the long term). Needless to say, after reading Brightest Day, my fears for the mythos as a whole have been laid to rest. Geoff Johns fabulous writing continues to be strong, and we finally get something in this book that I've been waiting for since the introduction of the seven Corps: CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FOR THE "VILLAINS."

Atrocitus and Larfleeze in particular seem alot more well-rounded as characters now than they did before the Brightest Day. Atrocitus proves that a Lantern's powers can evolve as a character does, and we see that his endless burning rage isn't quite as universal as we were led to believe. And Larfleeze proves to be more than a greedy, illiterate psychopath. It was great seeing more of the backstory for them, even if it was sometimes only hinted at.

This is a wonderful addition to the series and worth every penny.
on June 23, 2011
Green Lantern: Brightest Day is the epically awesome follow up to the very good but disappointing Green Lantern: Blackest Night. Overall, the entire Blackest Night saga was a bit of a letdown with the whole zombies from a given character's past are resurrected and chase said character trying to get them emotionally worked up (not too hard to due cause they are frickin' zombies!) and literally tear their hearts out. In Green Lantern: Blackest Night it was a jammed packed, convoluted, solely action driven piece to where "The New Guardians" (don't want to give any spoilers for that one but Hal and a few others of different corps) were forced together on the spot to avoid death. Geoff Johns wrote a really good story but not great.

Johns rebounds very nicely in Green Lantern: Brightest Day. "The New Guardians" are explored in a "brighter" (hahahohohehe) light! They have a new conflict to confront, the rescuing the emotional entities of their respective cores from a malevolent force. The great thing in this collection is the audience is given more reason to why these characters care about this crisis and what motivates them to begin with, with the exception of maybe Hal and Sinestro but you should know theirs by now...

It was great to get a better understanding of Attricious and Larfleeze (he's got some great lines in this!) The action does not suffer either because let's face it, this is a sci-fi, space opera, superhero action piece, but it's nice to get some character depth from these imaginary beings who entertain us so. Even the main antagonist has some deep seeded beliefs in what they are doing is right. Not just mad-scientist-syndrome (I am evil just for the sake of being evil! Muhahhahaha!) Great penciling by Doug Mahnke as well. He just gets better and better. His work in Green Lantern: Blackest Day wasn't bad, it was just nice he had more variety to the backgrounds other than big black cities and forests. Credit due to all the artwork on this. It just amazes me what they can accomplish.

An excellent read for all Green Lantern fans and comic fans in general!
on May 28, 2013
Never been a fan of many DC characters (Batman...who else is there? haha), but this series, along with Blackest Night and the War of the Lanterns- all put together- makes an excellent read. The storyline is pretty fluid and for the most part is doesn't seem too rushed. This is a good buy for someone who isn't normally a fan of GL or DC and wants to see what they have to offer. This will leave you wanting to get into DC a bit more.
This comprises the Green Lantern books 53-62, which is from the current series, features a new, old Hal Jordan, and originally appeared in comic print between 2010 and 2011.

I really prefer comics where there is enough time spent on the main character, so there's some kind of development with that character. I didn't like that there are 12 protagonists, well 13 if you count the villain. Because of the sheer number of main characters, there just wasn't enough time spent on any of them to really do any development. This made it really hard for me to care about anything in the book. There really isn't much Green Lantern in this green lantern book.

The artwork was good though. I'll probably avoid this author from now on, but I'd definitely buy stuff from the artist again. I'm also probably going to just go reread my old green lanterns and wait for a couple years before I try to get into the mess that it seems the Green Lantern comics are today.

Pros:
+Excellent artwork, especially scary monster art. I think the focus of the book is a lot more on art than on story
+Has a lot of strong female protagonists
+Has short cameos from Batman, Superman, and the Flash

Cons:
-This has about 12 different main characters. One "lantern" for each color, plus an additional "entity" for the color. For example, the color yellow has Sinestro as the Lantern, and Paralax as the Entity. There are too many characters to really do much with any of them.
-The story is very minimal.
-Very violent artwork, if this is rated for everyone. I've seen vertigo comics that were less violently graphic than this.