Customer Reviews: Green Mountain Coffee Hot Cocoa, K-Cup Portion Pack for Keurig Brewers 24-Count (Pack of 2)
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Leonard Cohen Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

Overall, this is a good and fast hot chocolate product offering. While I don't drink that much hot chocolate, my family does and they like the quick and easy way they can make a cup vs. warming up water in the microwave, stirring, etc. I think it tastes a little better than the Butternut and Nestle brands - throw in a few marshmellows and you are set!

The cost per cup seems pricey to me (hey, I'm an accountant), but I've done the math and it is comparable to other brands and traditional ways of making hot chocolate. As an Amazon Prime member, I don't pay extra for shipping (well, technically I do with the annual fee) which helps mitigate the cost per cup.

Here are the things to look out for when brewing hot chocolate with your Keurig:

1. Make sure you shake the cocoa container real well prior to putting the pod in the Keurig: the powder / mix tends to clump, and you don't want that to be the case when you brew a cup or else it will taste a little watery.

2. The hot chocolate tends to be thicker and can clog up the filtration / water lines (or whatever they call it). After you make a cup of hot chocolate, immediately run a medium cycle of just hot water. You'll see what I mean with the cloudiness of the water coming out at this cycle as it cleans out the water line. Make sure you put a cup under it when you do it or you'll have a mess!

3. If you want a "richer" hot chocolate experience, use the small or medium setting. It all depends upon your viewpoint: my son and I like the small setting, and my wife and daughter like the medium setting. Don't forget the marshmellows!

44 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you only read one thing about Green Mountain's hot cocoa, make it this: Don't ever use these K-Cups on a larger setting.

When used on the standard setting, almost all of the powder in the Green Mountain cups gets used (unlike Timothy's White Chocolate cups), and produces an acceptable cup of hot cocoa.

Admittedly, it's not much better than a Swiss Miss packet that you'd mix in hot water, but the convenience of slamming a cup in your Keurig and having a cup of cocoa in less time than it takes to microwave some water is pretty nice. And if that's your goal, this is a pretty good buy.

However, if you're expecting massive chocolate flavor or a "gourmet" experience, these K-Cups are guaranteed to disappoint. Using two on the small setting might get you by, but that brings your cost per cup around a buck, which is pretty steep for what you're getting.
on September 23, 2010
I enjoy the flavor of the Green Mountain Hot Chocolate. I found that after brewing, the nozzle (that sharp plunger that comes down from the top) was clogged with a small amount of chocolate paste. Nothing major, but I needed to clean it off immediately, before it dried. I used my cleaning tool, a thin tiny dental brush < DenTek Easy Brush Cleaners 10 ea >, and removed a bit of chocolate from the nozzle. Never a problem after that, as long as I clean it each time.
When I use coffee only, I only need to clean the nozzle once every 2 or 3 weeks. I think it's the different consistency of chocolate powder vs. ground coffee.
I own a Kuerig B40 at the office and a B77 at home, same problem.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 11, 2010
For those who say the cocoa is weak, you might remember to give the K-cup a good shake to loosen up the powder before putting it it the machine. And take a look at it after it brews - sometimes not all the powder dissolves, so tear the top seal off and mix what's left in the K-cup into the cocoa. I've not had a weak cup yet. I find that the 6 ounce cup size works best if your machine has it but the 8 ounce works, too.

There's nothing magical about this like with a coffee K-cup, it's just hot chocolate powder in the cup, no filter. You could forget the machine and just open the cup and mix it into hot water (or milk!) but that takes away the fun. It really tastes pretty good; I take a star off for coconut oil and all those weird additives in it. Inscrutably, it has 3 grams of fiber per cup, from inulin. Maybe to give it some body? Don't know, but it tastes fine.

Also, it never hurts to run a cupful of plain water (no K-cup) through the machine to clean the needle out after using one of these. That will help with the clogging.
on December 28, 2015
Okay in taste, it's comparable the instant machines you'll find at the convenient store. It's better to select the small cup, otherwise it tastes a bit watery. Definitely, need to drink while HOT because the moment it cools down doesn't taste so good.
on December 7, 2012
The powdered Cocoa mix in the K-cup is very good, but it doesn't consistently dissolve. Sometimes a lot of mix is left in the cup, less frequently, it dissolves well and is completely dispensed. The flavour quality obviously depends on the amount of powder being dissolved. You can open each K-cup and scoop out the powder that is left behind, but if you have to do that, you could just buy the Hot Cocoa in packets and save yourself a lot of money. The Keurig system is designed for BREWING coffee, not for adding hot water to powder. So you can't really blame Keurig. You have to blame Green Mountain for selling a product that is incompatible with the Keurig machine.
on January 11, 2011
This is some of the worst stuff I've ever tried to drink. It's even worse than that awful stuff that comes out of those machines where the cup drops down and fills it. I tried it on the various cup size settings with my Keurig machine and it just goes from bad to horrible when going from the larger size to the smallest.

It's a complete waste of money.

I just tried another brand that's similar and it's no good either. If you like chocolate water, buy these. If you have it in mind that you are buying "Hot Chocolate" with a milky or creamy flavor... that's not what this stuff is.

55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2012
This Hot Cocoa is certainly a gourmet alternative for your K-Cup brewer. The flavor is not straight chocolate, there's a hint of spice brought on by the higher salt content. It's not salted chocolate grade, but it isn't pure chocolate either.

In all, I like it, and usually save them for when I don't want caffeine.

One thing I don't like is having to follow the recommendation that you wash the brewer with a water brew afterwards. The sugar can clog the puncture slots. It's a hassle to have to do that afterwards.
on July 25, 2012
I bought these, knowing they weren't going to taste like rich, flavorful hot cocoa, but they were on sale and my kids had been asking why I never buy hot cocoa K cups. For the kids (teens), they didn't care what size they brewed on, they drank it anyway. I've tried a couple and found that they are just fine on a 6 oz setting. I also have used them on a 6 oz setting and mixed with a strong coffee k cup at a 4 oz setting and topped with foam or whipped cream. If you are not expecting chocolate perfection, and maybe keep these around for making mochas, then it's worth it if they are on sale.
on December 22, 2012
All Cocoa K-cups stink. Chalky, powdery, artificial sweetener taste throughout. Heat water and go for an instant powder mix instead. This isn't the worst, Grove Square is, but this isn't much better. If you must try, because its at work, or if it was free, add as much milk as you can to improve it. You will find yourself immediately drinking something else to wash the lingering taste out of your mouth.