Industrial Deals Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 19, 2015
This is a great toy and works well pouring water for hair washing. I wish it was harder to capsize. As everyone has noticed it's both prone to mold growing inside and near impossible to open. Tonight I finally cracked it after discovering mold in ours.

The top deck is held on by three screws. Two are accessible through the front two windows with a #1 Phillips screwdriver that is at least 2.5" long. The third is under the back of the handle and requires drilling a hole to access. The plastic is soft enough that I was able to use a screwdriver with some pressure. I am posting photos in the review section shortly. For the two screws in the cabin there is only one exact path in, high and on the outside.

Take care not to dislodge the two cabin screws as they are difficult to place back in their holes.

I am glad to see that their Ferry comes apart with just four easy to pop tabs.
55 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 25, 2010
Here is a perfect example of a simple toy of multiple uses. I first ordered this cute little tug because my 15 month old daughter didn't have many tub toys . . . or rather, almost all of her tub toys, with the exception of a trio of duckies, were from my kitchen and I was starting to need some of them back! The price was reasonable, and I really liked the fact that it was made from recycled materials and didn't contain any BPA. When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by just how large it was (comparable to a kid's watering can); I knew that it had a spout so that one could pour the water from it, but now I began to get my hopes up: oh, could this possibly be the solution to the horror that is hairwashing night at our house?

Just so you understand how horrible hairwashing can be, my daughter has, pretty much from birth, screamed while getting her hair washed (as in, blood-curdling, get-a-mother's-heart-racing, thank-goodness-the-neighbors-are-an-acre-away-and-so-hopefully-can't-hear-this-when-the-windows-are-open SCREAMS); she does not like getting her hair washed, oh no she does not. At this point, I was pretty much using a plastic takeout container of water to try to get the rinsing done as quickly as possible. While looking at the cute red tug boat, however, I began to think "hmmm, it holds more water than the takeout container, which could make it an even faster job, but it's also got that spout and a handle, so it should be easier to control and aim . . . plus it's cute and brightly colored - could be distratcting!" I let her play with the tug during the next couple (non-hairwashing) baths - after all, I didn't want her to necessarily associate it with hairwashing and start hating the poor thing! I then got ready to use it: first I used it to wet her hair down - not a peep and not a drop of water in her eyes! I then sudsed up her hair, which she barely seemed to even notice (usually she's already in the middle of "Upset-town," by this point - just try keeping shampoo out of the face of a squirming and miserable kid). I held my breath for the final test: actually rinsing her hair . . . I rinsed most of the shampoo out of the back of her hair first . . . still nothing! She did get a bit upset when I got to the front of her hair and the all over final rinse; maybe part of her problem is that she just doesn't like having to tilt her head back. But this was more just general "eh-eh-eh" whiney-ness; there were - I kid you not - NO SCREAMS!

Have I mentioned that I just LOVE this tug boat?!!

Just so you know, it's also just a nice basic tub toy. It floats beautifully (you have to really push it down under the water . . . or maybe have a child who likes to do recreations of horrible storms at sea during his or her baths . . . to get water in it). It pours beautifully (a godsend for me, but also a pleasurable detail for my daughter who, in common with many toddlers, just loves pouring things into other things). And that handy handle on the back has become a water slide for my daughter's duck family - WHEEEEEE!

This product is definitely recommended!
44 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 10, 2016
My son received a couple of other "Green Toys" for Christmas and it was the first I had heard of the brand. I really loved the concept- made in the USA, made of recycled plastic, etc- but had a little bit of "sticker shock" when I saw how much more expensive they were. I know, I know, it is worth the extra price if you are getting a good quality product- but still! Anyway, I was able to nab this boat during a "Deal of the Day" here on Amazon, so I jumped at the opportunity! (Though, to be honest, all bath toys seem to be incredibly overpriced, so in comparison this one was not out of the ordinary).

We have this in tub- and I think it is the best bath toy we have. Here's why:

-The plastic it is made of is very thick and sturdy (as opposed to the thin, cheapy plastic used in a lot of the other toys).
-This boat actually stays afloat unless you intentionally try to capsize it. I know that sounds like an odd comment, but other plastic boat toys have had varying success with this, so I thought it was worth a mention. In our experience over the last 2 months it won't just randomly flip over or fill with water on its own.
-The front of the boat has a little spout in it, so if you do choose to fill it with water, it doubles as a water spout to rinse off your soapy child. (Or, anything else you want to pour water on).

AND most of all, I love that the more I learn about the ideas behind "Green Toys", the more I can justify spending a little more on them. With the ever growing list of toxic chemicals found in children's toys, this will be a brand I'll be following more from now on. Great option for those who used to be big Melissa and Doug fans but have been disappointed to see their quality slowly decline as they have grown as a company.
on March 30, 2017
We have had this tugboat for over 2 years now and it still looks new. Green Toys are exceptional quality for a great price. They clean off easily, are very durable, and lots of fun. Even though it's plastic, I love that it's more environmentally friendly by being 100% from recycled products and made in the U.S.A. The tugboat is fun as a toy, and is practical for helping rinse a small child off, or rinse their hair. It holds a surprising amount of water and has a nice spout in front, which you can see in the picture. It's like pouring out of a watering can almost. The handle is nice and solid and works well for big and little hands alike. We managed to purchase it for about $6.50 on sale, which is a great price. The price on this item seems to fluctuate quite a bit, so keep an eye on it. I probably wouldn't pay more than $10 for this item. We have many Green Toys and I would recommend any of them to anyone. They have taken a beating from my kids and are still going strong.
on June 4, 2016
Green Toys makes some of simplest & toughest toys around. They are made in the USA from recycled materials, and even the packaging has recycled materials in them. The quality is excellent. The design is simple, rugged, and well worth the money.

After the first toy, the tractor & trailer, we have gone onto buy the ferry w small cars, a car, a Tow truck with the same size car, a small boat w driver, an air plane, pontoon helicopter, dump truck, a large boat, submarine, a small front loader & small dump truck (to go together,al though they didn't come together), plus one or two others.

Not only does our grandson love them, our daughter sings their praises as well. She accidentally drove over a portion of the tractor & trailer, and yet, not only did it survive, unless you look very closely, the toy looks as good as new. Talk aboutTough!

Being young grandparents we know what's out there for kids to play with. So much of it is poorly made from the cheapest materials companies can get away with. We have found the Green Toys to be a nice change.
on July 8, 2016
We've been a big fan of Green Toys since my oldest son received a fire truck from this brand on his first Christmas. The toys are extremely sturdy, environmentally friendly, bright, versatile and fun. This particular tugboat is played with in the house, bathtub, outdoor pool and beach. My boys love the fact that they can fill and pour water out of it. They have been quite rough on it and it has not broken or chipped. The plastic material also makes it easy to disinfect and clean when needed. It encourages them to use their imagination and can easily be played with other toys as well. The fact that it is so sturdy and doesn't contain small parts makes it excellent for young toddlers as well. My oldest son is almost 4 and still loves playing with this.
Overall, I'm very pleased with this brand and this toy. I'd highly recommend both and do recommend them quite often to friends.
on September 15, 2017
I bought this tug boat all the way back in 2012 as a Christmas present for my oldest child. I was a little hesitant to spend this much on what is essentially a plastic bucket but I'd heard good reviews and took a chance. It's now 5 years later and that "plastic bucket" is still sitting in our bathtub. It has been one of the best things I've ever bought.

All three boys love to play with it in the bath, it's a great size for both small hands and big, holds lots of water for pouring, is well balanced when full, and they love when I use it to wash their hair which is a huge bonus. It has never had an issue with mold or mildew even though it has never been scrubbed. The tugboat has been out in the garden, in the sandpit, to the local pool and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. It will probably outlive me!
on May 15, 2013
I'm going to probably copy and paste this review a half dozen times today because I bought almost everything I could find by this manufacturer. In fact, I'm pretty much ready to subscribe to anything they ever create.
Like so many people, I'm trying to find alternatives to cheaply made and environmentally disastrous (not to mention toxic) products. I was thrilled to find Green Toys and decided to try them out. I'm so glad I did.
Everything about these products impresses me. The feel of the plastic in my hands, the solid way that they're assembled, the aesthetics of the design, the eco friendly packaging free from all the weird wires and screws that most toys have, and the attractive price. For plastic toys in this price range, these things are SOLID.
I want to see Green Toys create a redesigned version of ALL the things one might need for their kids, from high chairs to car seats to bottles and bowls. Every time one of these arrives, my daughter recognizes the packaging and starts squealing because she LOVES all the toys she's received so far. Each toy comes in a simple cardboard box with a big open window for viewing the toy. At most, there's a little cardboard tab inside to keep the toy from flopping around, but that's it! How refreshing for any parent that's sick of having to pull out wire cutters, a screwdriver and scissors to open a stuffed animal!
These are instant classics and I could easily see these being highly sought after collectibles when my kids have kids of their own.
on December 28, 2015
Love this!! We now have 3 Green Toys boats for the tub. They're a very nice size and the plastic is heavier/thicker then other brands we've tried. This boat fills with water and can be poured out the front of the boat. It floats, but can fill up and sink. The handle is a nice size and all of my kids love playing with this. We also have the ferry and the submarine. I'm very happy with this boat and would like to get them all!
on May 23, 2015
This is a nice tugboat bath toy! I purchased this for my youngest daughter. She's two and she loves bath toys. I really like that green toys uses recycled plastic to make their toys. That REALLY shows they care about the environment.

The quality is very nice. It's a very well made bath toy, and the colors are beautiful. It would really suit either a boy or a girl in my opinion, and my daughter LOVES it! My only frustration is that I can't open the boat to clean it out. That would really improve my opinion. Not bad! (I purchased this myself!)