Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greenworks 20602 Gen1 20V 10-Inch Chain Saw - Tool Only
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

VINE VOICEon July 2, 2011
There are times when getting out my Stihl gas powered chain saw to do some relatively light cutting was somewhat of a nuisance. The Greenworks Chain saw using a 20 volt lithium battery was the answer. This is one fine chain saw and is fairly light (with the battery installed) and very easy to use. The reason for the four stars is the oil leakage. I have not noticed a leak by my Stihl but if it decides to do so Stihl provided a case. Seems like Greenworks could do the same or provide some kind of an attachment to catch the oil when the saw is stored. This saw does some serious oil leaking but aside from that it is a winner.

Update: Originally I gave this 4 stars having deducted one star because of the oil leak. That oil leak had worsened until it became unacceptable. However the main problem was that despite very limited use the chain could no longer retain tension for more then 3 or 4 seconds of cutting. That became a major nuisance of having to constantly tighten the chain so frequently. Rather then having to contend with endless oil leaking and irritable chain tightening I took this saw to the recycle center and bought a 14" Stihl that doesn't leak oil, starts very easily, cuts much faster then the Greenworks saw, retains chain tension and is fairly light. I am no longer irritable and have lost the need for profanity.
on October 2, 2010
This is my first chainsaw. I have a friend who is happy to come over with his gas-powered monster for the heavy duty stuff. I wanted a light-duty saw so I don't need to call on my friend for the little stuff. The Greenworks model is perfect for me. I can take care of reasonably thick branches and use it on logs that just don't want to split. It's not exactly like a hot knife through butter, but it gets the job done. I was a little worried about oiling the chain, and making a big mess, but the built-in reservoir does a good job and hardly leaks at all.

I wanted to go lithium-ion because it's the best battery technology today--if it's good enough for a Tesla roadster, it's good enough for my chainsaw! But Amazon didn't have the charger, nor could I find it anywhere else. Long story short, I called the Greenworks service dpt and they were able to send me one right away. So I got my charger, my battery, and my saw, and I've been using it all summer. It's a good product. The battery has enough juice to assist my log splitting for about 45 minutes.. Overall it's a bit pricier than the NiCad battery products, but of course the battery works in my Greenworks leaf blower too, so its not bad amortized over multiple tools. I expect it to last longer than NiCads, too.
on May 22, 2011
I have a few comments....first, why all the hassle with the battery and charger being so hard to get and the battery so expensive??? They should be sold together as a package bundle!
That being said..... I LOVE THIS SAW! Yesterday i used it for the first time, it was awesome. The battery wasn't fully charged, but i got a solid 25+ minutes out of it. I cut rounds off a stump that had a diameter of over 12"... and it worked beautifully. I cut rounds off trees that were felled ( less than 6" diameter), again it was beautiful. It made short work of the trees, and i kept good pace with my friend who was using a little gas powered saw. Of course now i need at least another battery...because I need to be able to cut longer..lol.
It does leak a little oil, but yeah ok, don't all chain saws?? ( using the correct bar and chain oil may help that though),I can't get Greenworks anything here so i just bought quaker state dura-trac bar and chain oil, and it worked great. Will update if any problems.
* update* Problems!....I received my saw with a "torque blemish" but since it seemed to work fine i didn't complain. But then it started screaming and grinding. No amount of adjustment, cleaning , oiling by myself or the other chainsaw savvy persons i asked to take a look yeilded any result. It was unusable after only 2 hrs! So i tried to contact greenworks..... and tried..... and every time i called i got this message " the call center is closed , please call back during business hours". So they are never open? So i wound up contacting Amazon customer support and returning my saw for a refund.
on December 6, 2010
I purchased this Greenworks lithium ion cordless chain saw a few weeks ago. The one I received did not work; it will not cut even a tiny twig; the chain stops as soon as it touches even very lightly anything at all. It is thus completely useless even though brand new and with fully charged battery. Buying this tool is seemingly a gamble; if you're lucky you'll get one that works and several reviews here are from folks who did. If you are not so lucky, you'll get one that doesn't work. Unfortunately Greenworks is not standing behind their product; their advice to me was that i should take this new saw to a repair shop. The customer service representative I spoke to was rude and unhelpful and didn't seem to find having to pay for a repair on a brand new just out of the box tool that had never been used surprising. I definitely won't be buying any more of their products. I wish I had known how unreliable these tools were before I wasted my time researching and ordering this one.
66 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2011
My 'normal' saw is a Husquavarna gas saw with an 18 inch bar; works well. But my wife wanted something easy to use. She loves cutting things down. I cook.

We took down a tree, about 5-6 inches at the base today and cut it up to season for firewood. The saw worked really well. When the main part of the tree was cut up and all of the branches cut off, the battery still showed about 3/4 power left.

I would certainly recommend this saw for ease of use and light duty operation. Just stand back if the wife starts swinging it around!

Note: I bought (all from Amazon) the string trimmer, blower and hedge clipper. The string trimmer came with the battery and charger (expensive additional items) so that it was almost free.
on November 21, 2012
I have raved about Greenworks since I first bought the 20v 6ah String trimmer(ths is the easy way to get your battery&charger as they come as a complete package).I was so impressed I proceeded to get the leaf blower,then the hedge trimmer(both so convienient)Since I had the battery(6ah is truly the best way to go)I purchased the chainsaw,expecting the same performance.Now,please understand these are really back up's for intermittent maintainence, since we have a farm I still have to drag out my very powerful and HEAVY Stihl equiptment once a month to get the tough stuff,but older folks,like me, will really appreciate the lightweight convienience of Greenworks line-up.That being said,I took a shot at the chainsaw.Although I have an electric(B&D)and gas (Stihl),I was looking for that convienience.I think it's too light for rough wood,no matter the diameter.It bounces alot and feels fragile. I really prefer to use my "cordless" saw-zill with the appropriae blade as an alternative. True to form the chainsaw does leak oil(no big deal)but it's really a waste of money.More like a toy than a tool.
I REALLY DO LOVE THE GREENWORKS PRODUCT LINE.Performance,longevity,and convienience,make them a hands down winner, but the chainsaw is impractical.
on January 30, 2011
Finally, a cordless chain saw with a powerful enough battery! It runs for about 30 minutes on a battery charge. Considering that the battery capacity is 6 A-hours, the chain saw power is 20 V * 12 A = 240 W = 1/3 hp. This is definitely not strong enough for heavy duty tree cutting, but is good enough for occasional work. It took me 3 minutes to cut an 8" oak log, which is not nearly as fast as with a gasoline chain saw, but so much more convenient without the need to deal with the messy oil+gas mix that has a short shelf life. The battery is compatible with the one made by TroyBilt.
on May 7, 2012
I had no need for a heavy duty chainsaw for large logs and trees, I did however want something I could cut limbs off trees with and cut the ones that had fallen off already. This served those purposes admirably and I love the large 6amp/hour battery!
on November 11, 2011
I bought the Greenworks trimmer last year which uses the same ion battery/charger and added the Greenworks chain saw this year. Both have worked well so far and I can only hope they'll last for years to come. I really like the fact of not having to mix the gas/oil, no more stale gas issues and no more gummed up carburators to deal with. Both are for light home use in maintaining a 3.5 acre lot.
on November 14, 2012
I've used this saw to cut through old shrubs that turned into trees (2"-4" thick wood) and it cut through those without issue. I've also used it to shear some other hedges, but it does tend to get the leaves and smaller twigs caught up where the chain enters the plastic body. Just stop and clear it every once in a while and you're fine.

The battery pack has some substantial heft to it, so if you plan on cutting things overhead for any length of time , you'll be sore in the morning. It's heavier than a corded electric, but probably similar or a little lighter than a gas-powered version.

See 1 answered question