Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 23, 2015
Book 2 of the Underland Chronicles was just as good, actually better than book 1. In the Prophecy of Bane, Gregory once again finds himself in the underland with his sister Boots. In this new adventure (that picks up right where Gregor the Overlander left off) Gregor must find and kill The Bane. A 10 foot white rat that is destined to destroy the Sunderland unless Gregor can defeat him as stated in the Prophecy! Can't wait to dive into book three in this amazing series. For a more detailed review, and a review of other amazing (and not so amazing) reads, follow me on The Turtle Book Worm on YouTube! Until then, CHEERS!
Below is the link to the review of Book 1
Gregor the Overlander: The Underland Chronicles #1: https://youtu.be/4UFWrEK_9_o
on May 18, 2017
If you liked the first book, you will love this second book. More of the Underland will be presented to you and more characters to boot. A twist ending with the promise of more to come. Read and you will be caught up. ENJOY
on April 12, 2012
I really never saw myself reading books for ages "9 and up," but a friend recommended the series and I became hooked. The first book had me hesitant, I'm not usually a big fan of child narrators, but Collins proved me wrong. The other problem I usually have with younger age books is that they are too simplistic. Once again, Collins proves me wrong. The writing is simplistic enough to be believable for a 12yr old's point of view, but the plot itself is unpredictable and full of really good twists and keeps you thinking.

The action pieces are also something I did not expect, as I thought they would be downplayed for a younger age. Instead, they are well written and demonstrate the brutalities of battle (even if the ones fighting are not human) and although not the most gruesome scenes I've read (I read horror genre too). I was surprised that the level of brutality was recommended for ages as young as nine, but as an older reader I found it refreshing to not have fights and battles sugar coated.

The characters are engaging and the whole Underland world is complete and intriguing with the many 'peoples' that live there and the differences all the groups have. I cannot recommend how a reader of say age nine would like this series, but I can say that as a 22yr old, if you don't mind reading something a 'the lower level,' I defiantly recommend it for many ages over 9.
on October 4, 2011
I read this book on the recommendation of my 10 year old grandson. He had read the first 2 books, and as he was describing the creatures, I found it difficult to follow the storyline and his descriptions. I decided to read the series so that we could enjoy them together. I have really enjoyed reading not just this book, but books 1-4 in the series "Underland Chronicles". I am starting to read book #5. The series reminds of the Chronicles of Narnia. If you enjoyed reading those books, then you will enjoy reading these. Book 2, just like the others, is about a prophecy, that is more like a riddle. The process of discovering what it really means is what the whole story is based on. Because of some of the scenes and descriptions in the book, I wouldn't recommend it to children under 10, unless they are very mature. If you enjoy reading fantasy or sci-fy, I would also recommend it for adults, young and old.
on April 23, 2012
I loved all the Hunger Games books, so looked up Suzanne Collins to see if she had written other books. There is a series called The Underland Chronicles. There are five books in the series and I have now read them all and have them on my Kindle so I can enjoy them again and again. This particular books is book two in the Underland Chronicles and is called Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (The Underland Chronicles, Book 2). All of the books take place in the Underland, but Gregor is an Overlander. We all live in the Overland. But Gregor and his two year old sister fall down a chute into the Underland where there are giant bats that people ride and giant rats who are mostly enemies of the humans and many other giant animals and insects. Gregor, the main charactor is an eleven year old boy from New York City. But he's the "Warior" that the Underlanders have been waiting for to fullfill prophecys. I was captivated by the books and couln't put them down. Even though they are probably geared to pre-teens and teens, I'm a 70 year old woman and I love these books!!! Try them, you'll like them.
on April 6, 2016
I was very glad to see a second book in this series after I read the first one. I've read the whole series now and I just loved them all.
on September 7, 2014
I applaud to Suzanne Collins for amazing books so far! She has done a great job interweaving many different types of stories to make this a great book! The mysteries never seem to stop, as with the suspense she puts into the books, which keeps the reader reading! As for age, it's a little violent and scary at parts, so if you have kids that are going to bed with nightmares of giants rats killing people, I wouldn't suggest this for younger kids. Keep the ideas coming, Suzanne!
on February 20, 2014
My son likes this whole series. My take - Suzanne Collins - fragment queen.

I'm just the messenger here as a parent, haven't read much of them, but I can tell there is an essence of these stories being 3/4 or 7/8 baked, like time was running out, and an ending had to be plowed under quickly.
on April 6, 2017
Very good good good good good good good good good good good very good very very very very very favorite amazing wonderful awesome
on September 16, 2013
I started reading this series after finding it on the kindle lending library.. I borrowed the first book and started reading it, but it was so great I eneded up buying the remaining 4 books, because I couldn't wait for a whole month to borrow more!

This series has surprised me. After reading the hunger games, I was somewhat annoyed by the author's predictability and writing style, despite loving the stories she was telling (at least parts of it). But this series was a wonderful surprise, because it's so original, simple, and addictive! I couldn't put down the books. I stayed up so many late nights while reading this series, it's a wonder I got anything done!