Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 11, 2017
I got this book as a gift from Amazon in 2012 but just read it. Like so many books that I get, it got 'lost' on my Kindle. I loved the book. The writing style is very good and Gerrit is a very likable hero. The whole book grabs you and moves you around the world without the reader realizing how many places and sub-plots are being discussed. It is easy to see how Mark Young got some of his backstories given his career experience and it certainly brings reality to his book. This is as good as any espionage books I've read. So, if you like intrigue and lots of suspense, give this book a try. There is a 2nd novel in this short series but anything written by Mark Young will be a grabber.
on February 23, 2012
It only took several pages to realize that Mark Young is a talented writer and storyteller. In Off the Grid, the author has done a marvelous job of creating a story that might very well be a harbinger of things to come. Gritty, intense and suspenseful, the tale takes the reader around the globe, offering an inside look at a few of the world's security forces. It also illustrates how technology can be just as deadly as a nuclear attack.

The book's protagonist, Gerrit O'Rourke, is believable and quite a likeable character. Mr. Young has carefully developed O'Rourke into a more than capable hero, yet one who has his shortcomings, elements that endear readers to him. I found myself cheering for O'Rourke as he confronted what only could be described as pure evil.

The book moves quickly and has more twists and turns than an amusement park ride. Not much is predictable, which makes the story one that readers will have difficulty in putting down. I thoroughly enjoyed Off the Grid--Mark Young has penned a fantastic thriller.
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon February 4, 2013
Exciting Thriller. Gerrit O'Rourke is a MIT educated and Force Recon trained double agent. He is working for the Seattle police department and to the FBI. His job is to retrieve information vital to the United States. He is first and foremost looking for the murderer of his parents. Gerrit and his loyal fighters struggle against formidable odds to find a killer and his parents murder. I could not put the book down. I did not see the twist at the end at all.
on June 1, 2017
Thank you Mr. Young for a good read. I love books with twists and turns, and great characters, great setting too.
on February 2, 2012
Loved it!! This book tells a fictional story, but the author, Mark Young, totally convinced me that it could, and maybe will happen, although that may have not been his intent. He made me aware of the potential uses, good and bad, of technology. Found myself reading as fast as I could to see what happened next. Was so well written that I actually understood what was being explained about the computers, and loved the element of surprise when the traitors were revealed. The only disappointment in the whole experience is that I eventually came to the last page. Can't wait to read more of "Mr.G"!!
23 people found this helpful
on February 20, 2012
Mark does a great job in weaving and exciting story and incorporating positive Christain viewpoints. I can't seem to find many books like this out there that are Christian based and really great read. I've also read Mark's first book, Revenge, and would recommend this as well.
6 people found this helpful
on June 6, 2014
Most interesting plot and characters. Plot twists were well done and unexpected. Characters very realistic. Was not sure I was going to like it after the first chapter (not excited about war stories) but by the time I had finished the next couple of chapters, I was hooked.
on August 8, 2013
I devoured this book! It is a fast-paced adventure with a cast of believable characters with non-stop action. The pacing is frantic at times but gripping with mystery around each turn. The author does a great job at hinting at deception but we, the readers, and urged on by the mystery of who is the traitor and how will they harm the mission.

The author has created a core group of believable and likeable characters, injected some light humor in the tense action, and craftily describes locations and action.

I enjoyed that the book came to a credible and conclusive ending but left a little tidbit for future novels.
on July 6, 2012
Unnecessary details that do nothing to set the scene, develop the characters, or advance the progress make this book a big disappointment to me. I feel thwarted in my desire to like the guy in uniform, especially after he rescues a dog from the battlefield. Score one for making the hero human and raising my expectations. It was downhill from there however and the fact that the dog never really surfaced again in any significant way should be a red flag about the character development.

Choppy scene changes, poor editing and one dimensional characters kept telling me to give up and chalk up Off The Grid as just not being a book for me. Instead I kept plugging on through the pages of unnecessary details, waiting for some that would matter to the story. They never came.

Good premise, but for me the book missed living up to the promise by a wide mile. Even the revelation of the identity of the enemies were a.) not surprising in one case and b.) not really tied in to the story in way that was believable in another. Since I did not believe them or knew them too little, I was left not caring about the characters I had wanted to like, and thus the book failed in any significant sense.
on March 4, 2012
I have never written a review of anything, however I felt compelled to after reading this book. Mr. Young is well versed, the prose flows well and the drama keeps you turning the page. I am a quick reader and finished this in a little less than three hours. Kudos to the author! Please read this novel it is by far one of the best I have read in some time. Plot lines are usually fairly predictable and although I was able to figure most of this out, there were some parts that kept me guessing and I really appreciate that. You have a fan with me Mr. Young and I hope you can write the sequel quickly!!!!!