Bubble Witch Saga 3 BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

A Grief Observed
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 1, 2014
I found this book 20 years ago when my beautiful daughter was stillborn. Of all of the things offered to me at the time, this was the only thing I read that provided any comfort. I am reading again now when a close friend has taken his own life and left a young, beautiful family behind. Neither event makes any sense to me. Both challenge my faith. You will not find any neat answers, cosmic solutions or expressions of God that will "help you get through it." You will read the journal of a man devastated by his loss. He writes of his grief as he observes it. He articulates the great internal battle that I suffered.

If you are grieving an enormous loss, you may find comfort here. I can't explain why, as C.S. Lewis did not include words of comfort. I have found absolutely no comfort in anything else I have read - with titles like Roses in December and so on. They tend to be written after the author had worked through the grief and can speak of it with the clarity of hindsight that the experience taught them. Well, when you are in the depths of sorrow, nothing makes any sense. Everything you believed has been knocked over. And that is exactly what C.S. Lewis describes in his own grief. It is profound. If you have not suffered a devastating loss, this book might not communicate well to you. But if you have, you will find a great mind and wonderful writer who understands your grief well enough to put words to it.
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2017
Very helpful to read when experiencing loss of dear loved one. I have read many books on the subject and this is by far the best.
on September 18, 2017
TOGETHER THEY FOUND A FAITH THEY COULD BOTH HOLD ONTO..AND THEN THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENED......read on dear reader read on....
on July 15, 2016
This an incredible book to give to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. So beautifully written.
on June 27, 2015
I give these in lieu of flowers, etc.
It's moving. Even C.S. Lewis wondered why when he lost his beloved wife.

Keep a couple on hand in case someone you know needs this.
on January 4, 2017
Lewis does a insightful description of his experience with his grief after his wife died. Anyone dealing with grief will find some parts of this book profoundly helpful. But they may find other parts irrelevant. Still it is good reading and helps one to understand that they are neither alone or crazy.
on April 6, 2016
Very good book. Bought for a friend. Think I will buy for my own personal use too. Wanted so badly to highlight stuff as I read but it wasn't mine to do. You can read in one sitting, maybe 2 at most. You won't want to put it down.
on April 21, 2013
I have just lost my second wife to pancreatic cancer after losing my first wife of fifty years to the same terrible disease. I had read this small book after my first wife died and had found it to be uplifting simply because it showed I was not alone in the way I felt. The introduction, in particular, fitted my experience. My second wife and I were only married a little over four years and the feelings I had after her death were so much more like those that Lewis experienced at the end of his short time married, that it was like reading a totally different story. Both times, however, I found the story so helpful in understanding my grieving that I would recommend it to anyone who has lost a cherished loved one.
on September 20, 2011
I did not know what to expect. I knew that this work was Lewis' own situation about his personal grief and not some self-help book. I was amazed at the similarities of the feelings and the questions that I had to his. It was almost mirror-like. C.S. Lewis' own experience and the answers he came to from the questions he had of God and life hit home for me. I found more help in this book than all the books that were recommended through my grief counseling class.

Perhaps you need to have a brief and intensly happy marriage that is cut short to appreciate it as I did; perhaps greif in some ways is just universal. Although I am a C.S. Lewis fan, I am not sure I could have really appreciated this work had it not been for my own husband's death. For me, it answered many things and lessened some of my own guilt.
on May 29, 2015
C.S. Lewis is one author who is always thought provoking and this one was no exception. It was encouraging in many ways, to see the struggles Lewis had in understanding how God could allow his beloved wife to be taken from him. Even someone like him went through times of anger towards God. Even though Lewis experienced a whole range of emotions, in the end he realized that God is Sovereign. We may never understand His ways, He still loves and cares for us.