Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 148 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 162 reviews
on June 11, 2012
This adapter works well and seems to be well made. Only time will tell about its lifespan, but I am using it with a desktop so it will not be subjected to periodic plugging/unplugging or cable tugging.

Its packaging and Amazon's description advertise it solely for laptops with the mini DisplayPort, but as several other reviewers have mentioned it is also for adding a second monitor to an iMac through Thunderbolt (same connector profile; combines PCI Express and DisplayPort). I use this adapter with a DVI cable between a 27" iMac and a Dell ST2421L display, and the installation was simply plug-and-play. The monitor auto-senses VGA, HDMI, and DVI. I had the DVI cable so I haven't tried HDMI, but in this two-part adapter the signal actually goes from mini DisplayPort to HDMI in the dongle and then from HDMI to DVI in the second part.

Updated 11 Oct 2012: The HDMI to DVI adapter failed within a relatively short time. The picture was all static; it was not a total signal loss and not the fault of the DVI cable (I tried another). I removed the adapter and have been running with the HDMI dongle and cable without a problem for several months. I dropped the rating to 3 stars, but a more accurate assessment would be 5 stars for HDMI and zero stars for DVI.
on December 15, 2013
This unit was recommended by the apple store since apple does not make a Mini Display to HDMI port. This griffin I got here is either defective or incompatible. I spent a whole day trying to get it to work for a connection between a macbook pro - mid 2012 model/running mountain lion and 1. My samsung 40" TV and 2. Epson 1761W LCD projector.

These connections are totally idiot proof to set up if your equipment is working properly. This adapter was totally non functional with both devices. After scratching my head and running around for hours between set ups, and then chatting with the Epson tech support, I finally bought a gigaware mini display port down at radio shack and tried it with the laptop and both devices, and with 2 different HDMI cables. It worked like a charm with all of the above configurations. I don't know who to blame, Apple, Griffin, or the sellers for selling me a lemon !!

Blame is useless anyway- hope this will save you some frustration- to be totally safe, if you're using a macbook pro you may want to try a different brand or a different seller. I guess the other reviewers had better luck or different equipment
on November 27, 2011
This item was purchased 5 months ago and it's still going strong. I previously went through 2 converters from various sellers on amazon and they both broke within a month. I'm student and constantly plugging and unplugging my macbook to take it to class. This means a lot of stress on the converter, but Griffin has done a good job making a converter that will keep up with me. The included adapter is a plus. If you are looking for an affordable and well designed adapter, look no further.
on February 6, 2013
I've had this for about a week and so far it has worked great. Can't beat the price. You get the versatility of both an HDMI and DVI to mini display convertor, for the price of what a quality HDMI or DVI convertor costs. Pretty much any monitor out there is going to have one of these two ports. And if you have a mid 2010 MacBook Pro or later, the sound works through the HDMI. Just remember (as the box says) to good into the sound settings and choose the monitor as the output device.

The only reason for 1 star short of 5 is that I am bit worried about the weight of this thing. I have my MacBook Pro on the edge of the table and the converter dangles in the air. Because of the converter that allows you to switch between HDMI and DVI, there is added weight that pulls down on the mini display port. This wouldn't be an issue if the converter was resting on the table rather than dangling. So far this hasn't been a problem - but thought people should be aware of this. This is still the best option out there for versatility.
on March 27, 2015
I bought two of these and have used them for a few years now. I bought two more once I found out they were discontinued because it really is that good and I'd like to have them just in case. The adapter is very streamlined in its design and fits both my Mac Mini and Dell XPS 13 with no issues. Connectivity and audio are flawless and the added DVI adapter is a nice touch for those who need it. It's a shame they stopped making them, and I have no idea what it has been replaced with, but this model has worked for me without issue for years now and I recommend it to anyone who needs a simple but well-built connector.
on March 29, 2013
I use this with XBMC on my iMac and send the signal to my Onkyo receiver for my TV. it supports DTS and Dolby digital and the video quality it awesome. although...it does not support Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) which is an HDMI feature designed to allow the user to command and control up-to 15 CEC-enabled devices, that are connected through HDMI, by using only one of their remote controls (for example by controlling a television set, set-top box, and DVD player using only the remote control of the TV). CEC also allows for individual CEC-enabled devices to command and control each other without user intervention. With using this cable In fact with most TVs and Receivers - if there is 1 HDMI that doesn't support CEC - then it turns the feature off completely - and it made my setup almost unusable. I ended up having to also by a Pulse-Eight adapter to make it work - and now it works perfectly
on June 25, 2012
I bought this adapter because I had bought a non brand adapter before from amazon which died on me a few weeks of use. I did my research and found that this adapter is carried by the apple store but at a much higher price than amazon. So I went for it and so far it has been working beautifully. No complaints, only praises. Its durable, not flimsy, easy to connect, and does the job. I should have gotten this one that those off brand low cost adapters because now I lost that money since those die on you after a few weeks of use. Spend the extra cash and be safe in having one that does the job done. I hope this helps those out there considering it. Don't buy, and I repeat, don't buy the cheaper ones because you will be disappointed. I know I was.
on May 16, 2012
There are a lot of reviewers saying that both audio and video works, and I wish I could agree. While I did not test it with my Mac Mini 2011, or my Macbook Pro 2011, I can certify that this will NOT work with any pre 2010 Macbook Pro models with a mini displayport. In fact, the Apple website confirms that. So you're better of buying a $3 mini displayport to HDMI (like Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro...) if you have a pre 2010 model, and then supplementing that with at toslink cable to provide digital audio support (this is what I bought Cables To Go 27017 Velocity Toslink-to-Optical Mini Plug Digital Cable (3 Meters), though I am sure there are a gazillion options). The make is very high quality though, and if you have a 2010 or post 2010 Macbook pro, this is worth the money you're spending on it.
on May 4, 2010
This is the Griffin model that's selling for almost twice this much on Apple's website. It is capable of carrying audio over HDMI from my 13" Macbook Pro 2010 model. Seems like a strong converter. I have no fear of it bending and tearing over time. Everything looks and sounds great.
on April 4, 2012
Works like a charm! I didn't even need to use the DVI port that came with it but I guess that's handy if I have a desktop. If you have a MBP (which I do) just connect it to the Thunberbolt slot. You get a blue screen flicker on your MBP (I guess that's just to indicate that it's connected or maybe it's the MAC detecting it). If you own a MBP:

1. Go to System Preferences and select Display
2. Check the box that says "Mirror Display" if you want your MBP to share the same screen with your TV, otherwise you have to mouse to the far right to get your display on the TV.

All in all a great product. It's a little sturdy though so I fear a prolonged bending might cause it to break. I've had it for 3 weeks now, so far so good.