- File Size: 308 KB
- Print Length: 90 pages
- Publication Date: December 10, 2010
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B004FV5C4Y
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #560,683 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
The Grimm Curse (Once Upon A Time Is Now) (The Grimm Curse Series Book 1) Kindle Edition
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
As other reviewers have said, this book seems to be a prologue for a series. I received it for free, but I would have been unhappy with the length if I had paid $2.99 for it. "The Grimm Curse" is certainly worth full price in terms of quality, but I have a personal price limit on what I pay for shorter works and full-length books. For example, I paid $2.99 for Mr. Carpenter's full-length book "Killer" and and consider it to be a bargain.
I hadn't realized that this book was the basis for the television series "Grimm". As an adult, I relate better to the characters as adults, but "The Grimm Curse" would be a wonderful YA book series that would still appeal to adults. In a perfect world, Mr. Carpenter would write two series, one with a teenaged Jacob, and a parallel one with Jacob as an adult. I would be happy to read both.
The story is solid and good, even short it had a full plot development and since it is more written as a type of journal entry the character development is at the level I would expect.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy.
The story is about a boy, named Jake, who is the last remaining member of the Grimm family. As a result, he has to take over the role of the Huntsmen because all of the Grimm Fairytales are real, and it's up to Jake to control all of the Fairytale characters. It seems that there's a rash of vanishing children, and it seems that a local witch is involved. I don't want to say to much more about Jake, because I want the reader to discover certain things about Jake.
I did have a few problems with this.
1) The writing style of the author. The author's writing style is very poor. It's as if someone in elementary school wrote this book. The action in the book isn't really thought out and is lacking excitement. The action is very poorly written and not really fleshed out as it should have been. Also the author seems to like to use caps to express emotion. Things like POW, BAM, WHAM, BANG, "You think WE should do this?" "No, I think YOU should do this!!" After a while, it was very annoying, and took away from the plot. Also, the writer wrote in both first and third person. When it was in third person, it was hard to who was telling the story. It's just a very odd mix, and that too, took away from the story.
2) The story needs an editor. There are some awkward sentences in there, and odd word combinations. Things like, "It cost $5 bucks." If you have the dollar sign, then you don't need the word "bucks". If you have the word "bucks", you don't need the dollar sign.
3) This is short story, 83 pages. I wish the author took more time to develop a full book. It's just way to short and I never felt that author wanted to take the time to really develop the characters. It felt as if this story was rushed. I did like how it ended, and it left room for more books in the series. I just hope that the author takes his time to write a good book.
The potential is there, if the author develops it.
Most recent customer reviews
A very good read.
On to book 2
And it is.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Occult
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Teen & Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Occult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Horror
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure