Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on June 19, 2013
I managed to get through this whole novel, but found it somewhat tedious at the best of times. The writing sounds rather tired and mechanical, as though Rushdie is getting bored with his talent.

I was also distracted by the irrelevant sexual content. Much of this read more like the ludicrous fantasies of a teenage boy than the deep character and behaviour development one might expect from Rushdie. The ending is quite ridiculous, more like the ending of a Mills and Boon.

This novel could be taken as something of a parody of post-modern life. The characters are so determined to avoid the truth that they become increasingly and frantically occupied with whatever is at hand. Facing the truth kills them. But Rushdie presents no truth but oblivion, which is embraced happily by the hero. If this is what Rushdie is trying to communicate, it seems no wonder that it is rather uninspiring.

Technically, this is, of course, masterfully written. It is worth reading if only for the skilfully woven storyline and imagery. But if you're looking for something with a positive message, look elsewhere.
on March 26, 2011
After reading "The Tiger's Wife" and being recovering from that disappointment, I found great comfort reading "Grimus: A Novel" by Salman Rushdie.

I generally love Rushdie and this book enforced that conviction. It involves travel between dimensions, immortality, gorfs, and anagrams. It was fun to rearrange letters to determine that gorfs were like frogs and that there is a cool anagram for dimensions, milky way universe and earth. What anagram does GRIMUS represent?

This book revolves around immortal Axon amerindian "Flapping Eagle" and his desire to age and find a home. Via a con man, he travels through dimensions and universes to arrive at Calf Island washing up behind the rocking chairs of Delores O'Toole and Virgil Jones. She is a grossly ugly petite hunchback and he is an obese lunatic genius. See why I LOVE Rushdie???

The adventure begins when Flapping Eagle and Virgil decide to go up the mountain into the Town of K. It is delicious, complex, thought provoking and keeps you on your toes as you read.

Okay as you can tell this is great book...wonderful descriptions, incredible insights, and complex characters. Oh did I mention that there is whore house in the town of K?

Themes include the price of mortality and definitions of morality. What makes a good person a good soul? What should Flapping Eagle do when he arrives at the top of the mountain and faces Grimus? (Trust me that is a crucial theme that is deeper than what I stated)
on September 21, 2013
I have read a number of Salman Rushdie books over the years. I also have seen shorter pieces. I enjoy his work. This is an exception. I suppose great writers decide to try different approaches. For me, at least, it didn't work. From what I have read about the book, I think the problem I have is mostly due to my lack of sophistication. However, I am not a student like the one who annotated the used copy I purchased. I read for pleasure. I found this book difficult. I am testing myself by following a book called 1001 books to read before you die. This one is like eating vegetables because it is good for you.
on January 19, 2016
My favorite Rushdie book, not as frenetic or as grand in scale as his later works, but strange, trippy, and deeply funny. A light, fairly easy read that pays off.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse