Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on November 14, 2017
Death Proof (2007) is considered Quentin Tarantino's weakest film, but even Tarantino's worst is a lot of other directors' best. This film pays homage to the muscle car films of decades past, so much so that the picture is often grainy to depict the lower quality of those films. Kurt Russell stars as a stuntman who kills people with his "death proof" car. Supporting cast members (the young ladies in particular) sort of steal the show, with their cohesiveness, charm, and sexiness. A thrilling car chase is the highlight of this film, which seems to go on forever (but that's good). This film is a lot of fun, and the dialogue is memorable, as each actor sort of gets their turn at a one-liner. Russell is a believable villain, and really exhibits toughness, grit and gruff, but in the end, he's no match for the girls! Death Proof is a solid Tarantino offering that manages to invigorate open-minded audiences. The blu ray is solid, with some cool special features. If you're a Tarantino fan, then collect all of his films, as this one can't be ignored, despite the 'lower' ratings.
on April 20, 2017
don't believe the un-hype: this in NOT a lesser Tarantino film. this is not just something he threw together on the side inbetween his REAL films. no, after buying this purely for the sake of completing my collection of Tarantino flicks, this has quickly become one of my very favorites. it bears rewatching extremely well, it's fun, the dialogue (of which there is much) is vintage Tarantino, and the actresses all knock it out of the park.

I like to think of this two entries in a fictional Death Proof franchise. the first half feels like "Deathproof 1", and has the feel of being shot in the late 70's on a shoestring budget. the second half (which thematically quotes the first half throughout, and turns elements of that part on their heads, particularly in it's delightfully cathartic finale) has the feel of having been shot about a decade later, either after they filmmakers scraped together enough cash for a second installment, or perhaps as a final entry in a longer series. it's cleaner, less grainy, a bit more polished, and tonally very different. also, both halves seem to pay particular stylistic homage to Tarantino contemporary, Richard Linklater early films (particularly Slacker).

like me, you were probably "meh, it's okay I guess" when you first saw it. all I can say s watch it again (and again, and again...). it will grow on you.
on April 9, 2015
The best thing about this movie is the debut of Zoe Bell as an actress. She's already a well-established stunt woman (she did all of Uma Thurman's stunts in the Kill Bill movies, for example) but here she essentially plays herself so the phrase 'doing her own stunts' takes on added meaning. And we're not talking about falling off a four-story building, we're talking about hair-raising, throat-constricting, white-knuckle car chases and smash-ups and....No, wait. The best thing about this movie is that all of the stunts are 'real'...no CGI, no animation, no robots, nothing but great stunt people who made this movie the way movies used to be made...for real and for certain. No, wait. The best thing about this movie is the creation of yet another unforgettable character by Kurt Russell. He started making his mark as far back as 1965's Guns of Diablo in which he plays a young boy, Jamie McPeeters, on a wagon train wrangled by Charles Bronson, and of course he went on from there to give us a string of heroic figures (all of which adorn my DVD shelves) from Jeff Taylor to Snake Pliskin to Jack Burton. But now comes Stuntman Mike to break the mold, raise the bar, go over the top. This psychotic serial killer will go into my book for sure (inside joke). No, wait. The best part of this movie is the resurrection of a 1970 white Dodge Challenger 440. Just like the one Barry Neuman and Cleavon Little made famous in 1971's Vanishing Point. The Tarantino/Rodriguez/et al crew don't do nearly as much harm to this Dodge as Newman did to his but oh mama! will you not bother to count body dings along the way. Come to think of it the best part of this movie is that it IS a Tarantino/Rodriguez/et al movie, done with all the usual care of a 'family' production. I'm not suggesting that Quentin and Co never miss....I'm still trying to figure out what the heck Inglorious Basterds is all about...but Deathproof ranks right up there with their best. I'd tell you to buckle up but chances are you'll find that hard to do that while you're sitting on the edge of your seat, which is exactly where you'll be for most of this movie, that is when you're not daydreaming about all the dreamy eye-candy or grinning at Michael Parks and Son doing the Greek Chorus number that bridges the two parts of the movie, or feeling great sympathy (and empathy?) with the guys who mostly fall flat on their faces as they try to...well, you know, score. I score this movie 10.
on September 3, 2015
My wife is a HUGE fan of Quentin Tarantino and oddly, she had not seen this movie. I rented it for us to watch one night after the kids had went to bed. I'm not typically a big fan of action movies, but I wanted to watch this one because I do like several of Quentin Tarantino's action type movies. From the start of this movie, I was pretty hooked. It follows along with Quentin Tarantino's typical movie style and kept me watching until the end. We actually ended up watching this movie multiple times before the rental ran out because it was SO good! If you are a fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies, I would highly recommend watching this movie if you haven't seen it before. It will not disappoint at all!
on July 5, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Kurt Russell makes being creepy a sexy thing.

If you watch this film for ONE thing, it should be Zoe Bell. Her car stunts are incomparable, and I have never seen anything like her before or since. Gear heads will probably appreciate this more than the average movie buff.

This movie was filmed partially in my hometown of Austin, Texas. I love the unique cinematography, and I always spot something new every time I watch the film. Just a feel good, action packed movie.
on March 6, 2008
The Good Things:
*Kurt Russel makes a good campy bad guy (but he's not necessarily scary).
*Dialogue is good, realistic in some parts, and memorable in others.
*Car chase in the last twenty minutes is awesome.
*Car crash scene in the middle of the movie is intense (a few good gory effects as well).
*Very unique style, very reminiscent of the 70s.
*Good soundtrack.
*Cool cars.
*Some homages to other QT films (look out for the "Kill Bill" ringtone, or the car with "Kill Bill" colors, or the record from "Pulp Fiction"...).
*Some homages to other 70s films (like the car in the end, which is the same as from "Vanishing Point").

The Bad Things:
*Slow-moving story (and it's a pretty wierd story too). Some parts seemed like they could have been cut out (lots of dialogue that doesn't fit with the story).
*This was supposed to be a horror slasher film, but it hardly feels like one.
*Half of the movie is made to look old on purpose (which I think is good, because it's additional homage to 70s films (and older "Grindhouse" films)). Some might find this gaudy.

Much like "Pulp Fiction," this is a strange, mesmerizing trip through 70s style filming with cool characters, strong dialogue, and an incredibly unique style. This film is a little better, because it has excellent action scenes at the end. It's a little worse, because it's all one story told around two groups of women, and thus gets a little long. But with patience, you will find this to be interesting and entertaining homage to films of the 70s. Highly reccomended for people who are transfixed with that era, people who like QT or "Pulp Fiction", and people who like car chases.

This feature was released alongside with "Planet Terror," which is sold separately (but I think $20.00 is still good enough for one good movie).
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 18, 2018
OK I know this review is long overdue but watching it again has got me writing this review I mean now this movie is One of Kurt Russell's awesome films and believe me we saw this movie at the movies when it was the double feature grindhouse and it was awesome and now it is still watching it on my portable DVD player
on May 17, 2016
Great Q.T. movie...he never fails to keep the audience entertained! This is gritty and violent as all his movies are but with a 70's like movie and Kurt Russell as a incredible bad guy...no Disney Kurt Russell here! If you like Q.T. sense of humor then you should definitely like this...hint don't turn it off when the credits start at the end...its not over just yet!!
Enjoy!
on January 5, 2018
I totally loved this movie. To me it is an iconic great movie. I went into it without knowing what the movie was about and was excited over how good it was. Maybe best to go into it without watching any previews ect. Enjoy!
on January 23, 2018
I truly believe it could have been a lot better then it was. But i had to watch it. And the ending sucked. But thats my fault I brought it.