Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 4, 2014
Many call this game the spiritual successor to Diablo II and I have to agree. With a skill tree that has upwards of 1,300 nodes, the potential for differing builds is near limitless.

PROS:
Microtransactions that don't give players any sort of advantage and help the game developers (even the stash tabs are a convenience item as players could create multiple accounts).
Unique items are well balanced and the economy / crafting system is pure genius.
he gameplay is beautiful, if a little demanding on graphics cards (you can tune down graphics to have it run on anything from +/- last five years).
Updates / developer involvement like no other game out there today.
Support that will make any other support you are dealing with seem inefficient and evil.

CON:
About the only con I can think of for the game is the desync issue. Grinding Gear Games have opted to have the game calculations be run server side to avoid hacking. This causes at times a disconnect between what you see on screen and what actually happened in game. At points like these, you could be taking damage when on your own screen there are no monsters around (when really, on the server, monsters are close enough to attack you). GGG has improved the desync but it has not been completely solved yet. However, this issue is at most worth -.5 stars.
33 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I loved Diablo 2 and enjoyed many hours playing it. I was very disappointed with Diablo 3. I played it through a few times but it's not a worthy successor in any respect. The whole atmosphere and flavor of the game is different. Diablo 3 is heavily influenced by World of Warcraft. It's cartoony and there are lots of little sparkles and things but there is little atmosphere and almost no replayability. It's a Blizzard game, not a Blizzard North game. In short, D3 is crap and not worth the many dollars that it costs.

Anyway, this game was free and a lot of people have given it good reviews so I gave it a shot. I'm so glad I did. I have only played a few hours in it so far, but this is a serious evolution from Diablo 2. It is way more engaging than its competitors and you have more freedom. The skill point web is pretty complicated and I haven't yet figured out what my favorite paths are, but at least it's interesting. So much replay potential there! I can't yet say whether it compares with the super-interesting skill trees in Diablo 2 but I can comfortably say it's interesting and will keep you playing for a long time. So far the economy has worked out very well, despite not using gold at all. Keeps you searching for good items and the focus is on going around killing monsters. Senseless violence. That's the name of the game.

Graphics are great as is the fighting. Once in a while a bad guy will exit the edge of my vision and disappear, not to reappear when I come back. I think it's a glitch.

Most action RPG's are pretty good. Titan's Quest and the various Dungeon Siege games were ok while I was waiting for the evolution of Diablo 2. Diablo 3 almost doesn't qualify because it is far below any of these others. I wish I had never played it and had gone straight to Path of Exile.

I haven't yet figured out what points do. It must be something insignificant because I haven't missed them. You should feel comfortable playing this game without buying any of those points (with real money). You can always do it later.

Anyway, I haven't even beat the game with my first character, so I'll check back later with follow up thoughts (I used to have a lot more time back when I was playing Diablo 2). I'm enjoying it a lot more than the other actions RPG's I've played, though. If you liked Diablo 2, you will like this.

All I can say is that in video games there is no apparent relationship between price and quality. Don't give Blizzard any more of your money.
on July 20, 2016
Although the game seems to eat up memory and freeze at times, I must commend the developers for this epic game that has beautiful graphic and a huge world. They are constantly updating, fixing bugs and adding things to this game and for a free download, I must say it is one of the best games I have ever experienced.
on June 16, 2016
I ve been playing this game for several months now, its probably my favorite PC game. At first I wasn't sure in how to really use the gems stones, or how the game really worked. I then restarted using the witch class.....its been a BLAST. What a fantastic, artistic, creative game. I love the levels, I love the details in the cave levels. The creativity of the monsters is fantastic, The detail in the magic spells and blasts are eye popping. I am a big fan and I don't usually play PC games. Bravo grinding gear games!!!!
on February 4, 2014
I've been dying for a game with this much darkness and depth ever since Diablo2 started fizzling. I've been playing this game for over a year now, and I see no signs of slowing down. Unlike most games, it is getting much, much better with age. If you're on the fence about trying it, just do it! It's free and it isn't pay to win! Keep it going, GGG!
on March 11, 2014
I don't quite see how they make money. I have been playing this game for several weeks at no cost and don't see why I would want/need to buy points. It is a ton of fun. Very similar to the old Neverwinter series and Daiblo (not III but I and II for sure). But with graphics and some dynamics that are appropriate for today's level of graphics and technology.

That said the are several limitations that someone might find frustrating. There are I think 6 different classes and they are a lot of fun. You don't get to choose sex though so two of the classes are females and 4 males. Generally the 4 males are tanks and the 2 females are casters/hunters. There is very limited camera options. Mostly it is just from above with limited telescoping. As far as I can tell there is also limited interaction with other people playing online.

So those are my two complaints but I LOVE THIS GAME. It is really a lot of fun. It's free so it is worth every penny.
on December 3, 2015
Awesome D&D style play. Character development through various ability and skill trees. Artifact and Weapon customization and enhancements. Varied area and gameplay elements. Great Boss fights. Makes me nostalgic for games like Baldur's Gate and the original Diablo. Hard to believe they put so much goodness into a free-to-play game. Only complaint is I don't have more time to spend on this guilty pleasure.
on February 4, 2014
First off, Path of Exile is not for everyone. But if it's your cup of tea, you're in for a treat. An action-RPG in the same vein as the genre-defining Diablo 2, Path of Exile is all about using your character's skill to kill monsters by the dozen, and then looting their bodies for better equipment. Rinse and repeat. But what sets this game apart from so many in the genre is the amount of thought put into the underlying game mechanics, and how much it innovates and improves the Diablo formula.

And best of all, it's entirely FREE. Not like free, until you need to pay money to continue progressing. not like 'free', where you can pay money to get better stuff. Just FREE.
on February 4, 2014
I started playing a while ago during beta and honestly it did not appeal to me. But I gave it another shot after playing Diablo 3 for a while and man oh man, the things I took for granted in this game. Just a few to note are the great community this game has and the incredible quality. Also you can really feel how much the developers listen to the feedback and implement them into the game. Makes you feel as though you have a say in how the game is made, maybe just a little, very very little. But hey a say nonetheless.

Get the game and see for yourself, YOU WILL LOVE IT!
on February 4, 2014
This game is nothing short of a masterpiece.

A constantly-updated, incredibly deep Diablo-like, with untold hundreds of possible builds, an actually interesting story and background (though it isn't anywhere near the focus of the game), and oodles and oodles of loot.

And it's free! It's free as hell! Go play it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.