- Age Range: 4 - 8 years
- Grade Level: Preschool - 1
- Lexile Measure: 560 (What's this?)
- Series: World of Eric Carle
- Hardcover: 48 pages
- Publisher: HarperCollins; Reprint edition (August 16, 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 006027087X
- ISBN-13: 978-0060270872
- Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 0.4 x 10.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12.8 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 332 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #63,964 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The Grouchy Ladybug (World of Eric Carle) Hardcover – August 16, 1996
See the Best Kids' Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for great new reads for kids of all ages? Browse our editors' picks for the best kids' books of the year so far including gorgeous picture books, fun new series starters, and captivating young adult novels.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Progressing through a series of brilliantly colored die-cut pages, a bad-tempered braggart becomes a nicer, happier, better-behaved bug. This "visual delight ... can readily be used to discuss manners and social behavior."--The Reading Teacher. The arrangement of the book also introduces concepts of comparative size and telling time. (Picture book.) -- HarperCollins
From the Back Cover
It's the Grouchy Ladybug's 20th birthday. To celebrate, we are introducing a new, larger format edition with brighter, more colorful pages created from Eric Carle's original artwork using the latest reproduction technology. The Grouchy Ladybug is bigger and brigher, as irascible but irresistable as ever and will surely delight new generations of readers, as well as her devoted fans of all ages. Happy Birthday, Grouchy Ladybug!
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Top customer reviews
1. The book is long but not too long for an older toddler. You can also skip some pages throughout the book to shorten it if needed for a younger child and this does not take away from the story.
2. The book has pages that get bigger with each animal the ladybug encounters in his travels. The bigger the pages get, the bigger the animal discussed. My kid seems to like the novelty of the tiny pages and transitioning to much bigger pages.
3. The board book quality is nice for little slobbery and not quite gentle hands. This book still looks brand new a year later.
4. There are tiny clocks in on the page corners that tie into the timeline in the story so you can discuss time with an older child reading this book.
5. Nice variety of animals in the book to discuss with your children.
Now the dislikes:
1. The moral of the story is that you should be nice and it gets you further in life. This is a pretty difficult concept to claw out of this book based on how the story unfolds and is definitely not something I think my kid takes away from the book at all, although she is quite young so an older child might pick up some of the cues better. (Note this book might be a good conversation starter for parents to discuss kindness and fighting topics with their child so maybe that's an advantage?)
2. I really dislike that every page is the ladybug requesting to fight someone. What a negative attitude to fully EMPHASIZE. I mean really, he asks that on EVERY page. I fear that this language becomes normalized repeating it so many times and therefore the morals being taught get lost amongst children.
3. Really repetitive writing and gets old reading out loud over and over.
4. I'd never give this as a gift for fear of being judged for thinking this book is appropriate.
Really I'm not even sure if 3 stars is appropriate or if it's too high. I'm pushing it to give it a moderate rating.