Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Ground of Your Own Choosing: Winning Strategies for Finding & Creating Work
Format: Perfect Paperback|Change

on November 2, 2015
If you are thinking of making a career change of any type, I urge you to read this book. Beverly has written a 21st-century manifesto on creating a career that reflects who you are, your interests and passions. The strategies contained in the book are far more appropriate than the typical path many people take; check LinkedIn, send out your resume and hope for the best. You will learn about jobthink ... the road most people take and many other thought provoking strategies that will raise your awareness to seeking, finding and perhaps creating work.
on October 7, 2015
I was given this book by a colleague and it has completely changed how I think about work. If you are someone who goes from one company to the next, giving it all you've got, but never feeling professionally fulfilled - read this book. It is helping to shift my thinking and provides excellent, memorable analogies to keep me coming back for more. This book is a gift.
Ground of your own Choosing. Love it! Wise, supportive, intelligent and innovative, Beverly Ryle is a must-read for students/grads, parents, job seekers and everyone else! It advises us to become more entrepreneurial about career by creating value and communicating it in the job marketplace... and shows exactly how to accomplish this. An invaluable resource!Ground of Your Own Choosing: Winning Strategies for Finding & Creating Work
on February 21, 2016
I love this book. I met the author several years ago and I recommend this book to anyone who is transitioning between jobs or a layoff.
on September 18, 2010
I received a copy of Ground Of Your Own Choosing after attending an entrepreneurship seminar at my local chamber of commerce. After which it sat on my shelf for about three months. I was interested in reading it, however I had many others ahead of this one. In hindsight I really wish I would have picked it up earlier. This happened with another book I had read - Mans Search for Meaning which I place in the same category of must-read - the type of book that you want to run out and tell all your friends about and start using the advice within.

Ground Of Your Own Choosing is simply amazing and life-changing. If you are an entrepreneur or an employee who has been effected by the recent economy (which the author refers to as a workquake) you absolutely must read this book.

This is one of those books that's tough to put down once you get started, which is atypical for a career book. The author's advice is unconventional throughout the book, which is relevant in that we are certainly in unconventional times.

The author's guidance is clear through the book and she provides some great analogies by which to solidify her points. Each chapter opens with a quote, which isn't all that different from other business books. However, what is unique is that I found each quote to be profound and resonate with my life experience. While reading Ground Of Your Own Choosing I found myself sharing many of the points with my friends and colleagues so they may benefit as well. A great deal of thought and effort went into creating this book.

The only downside I could find is that I wish this was strictly a book on entrepreneurship and not geared towards job-seekers. However, this is not the author's fault as she clearly states her education and experience as a career counselor and the target audience of the book - this is just something I would like to see in the future, perhaps as a sequel. Probably more selfishness on my part. As an entrepreneur I may not have picked up this book if I had not received it at the seminar - and I certainly would have missed out.

I really cannot say enough good things about Ground Of Your Own Choosing. It receives my highest possible recommendation and I plan on recommending it to my friends, colleagues, other entrepreneurs, and those who may be in the midst of a life transition.
on October 7, 2009
"Networking" seems to be such a popular business word these days, but for some it can be a push to collect as many business cards as possible. Once you have them, what do you do - are you really connected to all these people? Beverly talks about "community building" instead of "networking." It takes more effort to build a community than to collect business cards, but the results will be enormously better.

Beverly discusses people in the pre-industrial revolution era. She says they were "free agents," not holders of "jobs," and she believes we are moving back in that direction. We're being forced to change our way of thinking!

She has many ideas and examples in her book, and my favorite is on pages 118-119 where she gives a remarkable idea of how to approach an interview (search for work). You approach it as a "business-to-business exchange." You are not an interviewee - you are a peer who is presenting your services and capabilities. These two pages alone make Bev's book valuable!

Read this book if you want to get away from the 'what size should my resume font be?' mentality.
on July 4, 2011
I contacted Beverly Ryle after seeing her website mentioned in, Richard Bolles, 2011 What Color is Your Parachute Book. She was prompt in her communication, kind and thoughtful in her commentary and naturally I was curious to read a book originating from such a lovely personality. She did not disappoint. I have been very stressed and frustrated by my work's long hours, long commute and inadequate pay. I expected a self help book outlining 10 effective strategies in 10 weeks but what I obtained was an exploration of self. I found myself slow to understand her concepts at first as they are so different than how I was raised but by Chapter 6 something clicked in my heart and I stopped passively reading. The book forces you to take control of how you have defined yourself professionally and reconciles that with how to define yourself competitively. Its tone is empowering and honest. It gently probes what underlies your dissatisfaction and makes you responsible for experimenting your way to a new fulfilling path. Between these pages there is hope,professional clarity and simple, relevant tools to launch out and market what you want to do. Today I am completing my website long overdue as result of this book. Thank you Ms. Ryle for such an inspirational and practical book which keeps the first things first in a changing work world.
on December 1, 2008
"It's a new day," Beverly tell us in her book about finding work. Resumes, networking, and daily internet searches will not get us the work or career we hope to have. The reality of work search and work itself has undergone seismic shifts. Today's workers will have an average of ten different employers by age 38. Much work needing to be done can now be done anywhere by those electronically connected. No longer does the long-sanctioned, outdated job search produce results.

Into this void between old and new steps GROUND OF YOUR OWN CHOOSING. Ryle explains that we must learn to negotiate the new realities of becoming and staying employed. We need to be entrepreneurial in how we view our work, to think 'projects' rather than long-term employment, to see the people we work for as clients not as employers. It may seem overwhelming to take on such responsibility rather than to look for yet one more organization that will keep us safely employed for years. But that is what is necessary, and it is what Ryle helps us do.

Ryle, like all good teachers, straddles the line between kindness and task master. Her plan is clear, her support is palpable, and her years of experience as a career counselor are evident. She tells us what we must do to be on the GROUND OF OUR OWN CHOOSING rather than to be ground up by a system that no longer works. This book packs a lot of punch. This book is a gem.
on February 23, 2012
I feel like I've hit the lottery in being given this book and having the opportunity to meet the author! Beverly Ryle has finally said out loud what I've been thinking for a very long time ... and I thought I was the only one! I am coming out of my shell and realizing that everything is going to work out, it just may be a little different than what I'm used to. That's the whole point: there has been a huge shift and Beverly gives us the information in this book to understand what the shift looks like and how we can adjust our thinking and move forward and be successful in our journey. We CAN depend on ourselves and we ALL have VALUE and with this book, and its clear message, we can get to our destination a lot quicker and without the frustration we might have felt without these pearls of wisdom. Thank you Beverly!
on October 13, 2009
What a wonderful find! Ms. Ryle's book is a concise, easily accessible, step-by-step guide that helps you effectively navigate the turbulent waters of job seeking. I coach both senior executives who are looking for new hires and clients who are looking for new jobs: Ms. Ryle beautifully addresses both the internal examination and external steps that, once taken, naturally lead you toward creating work that is a perfect expression of your unique talents, style and interests. You will also learn how to replace stale, ineffective networking techniques with a process that creates an ever-expanding community of like-minded peers and mentors . . . who, by the way, will give you "warm introductions" and referrals that are much more likely to yield invitations for interviews. I have used Ms. Ryle's techniques to better refine a new consulting service for my own business, and I recommend her book wholeheartedly.

Beverly Sastri, LIVE like YOU MEAN it! workshops and keynotes