Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
on November 7, 2014
I had to read this for college. It was a good book for me though as I am in the web development business and it is important for me to understand some of the social media concepts out there.

This book I have to say, however, feels very watered down for casual readers. I've been in the web business almost 10 years now, and I have to say that this is not the greatest book for someone that already has technical knowledge. It has many bare bone basic concepts about social media sites and feels like a "how to" guide for corporate head-honchos. The author of this text makes up a lot of their own terminology and key-concepts behind social media including the term "groundswell". Many of its concepts revolve around social media technology such as Twitter and Facebook. Social media can go out of fashion as quickly as it gained popularity. I wouldn't recommend a corporate business do everything this book says, although it has some good advice for those who are clueless about implementing their business in social media.

This is an interesting read, but I'm not too crazy about it nor it's concepts. I have to question, how have the authors gained some of the knowledge they have and who are they to really set the standards for social media? It's a decent book and not many others out there are like it, but I think someone can write something better out there. Average book in general. Take what you can from it but don't believe everything it says in my professional opinion. 3/5
on September 16, 2016
Update below my initial review.
__________________________________
Purchased this audible so I could listen to the book and prepare for class while commuting. Not even the full first chapter in I noticed that the dates and statistics seemed off - very off. (Maybe the mention of MySpace and MSN messenger should've been the first warning to stop.) The audible is dated - outdated by a few years worth of information.

However! The rest of the content and core message are still there (albeit clumsily delivered, over simplified, and trying too hard to be modern and "cool" - Jui Jitsu, really?). Hopefully it stays that way for the rest of the book...

So I don't have to go back to the old way of preparing for class - juggling the handle bar, a book or phone, and a jerking subway while in a human sandwich. But I'll have to revisit the actual text for the updated stats.

Keep my $4.00 and put it to updating this audible...

Update: I've read a good portion of this book now for a graduate course and I am not a fan. The book is very basic - so basic it doesn't feel like I took anything from the text that I didn't already know. While it does offer the framework for understanding the impact of the digital/internet/mobile age on businesses, I don't feel like it offers anything beyond that - only a framework. This book should be picked up by someone that hasn't already studied this subject matter - and honestly there are better written introductions. But its an easy read, it backs its text with statistics, the diagrams and tables are useful for getting a grasp on the subject matter, and it builds. I haven't finished the book yet but I do assume that as I continue the text will get "meatier" and offer more value. So I am bumping up my review to a 3-star. It isn't great, but it isn't the worst.

Also the audible version does still vary slightly from the kindle version when it comes to statistics and dates - but the core message and text is still the same. Not my favorite audible voice actor either - but on 1.5x audio speed it's bearable.
on August 10, 2017
Required reading for a grad school class. Some good content. Will go back and review the book at a later time to learn more.
on July 20, 2011
"Groundswell" is a social trend where people use social technologies to get what they need.
People use these technologies by:
* Generating blogs, web content and podcasts.
* Connecting in social networks and virtual worlds.
* Collaborating in wikis and open source.
* Reacting in forums, ratings and reviews.
* Organizing content with tags.
* Accelerating consumption with RSS and widgets.
There are five main objectives (aligned with business functions) for participating in social technology such as Twitter:
* Listening (Research) - mentions of our company
* Talking (Marketing) - useful, helpful tweets
* Energizing (Sales) - finding people who write about you and re-tweeting
* Supporting (Support) - customer support
* Embracing (Development) - get ideas on how to improve products
"Don't bother setting up a Twitter account and tweeting links to your press releases--you won't get a whole lot of followers. Instead think about what you can offer that might get picked up and repeated by others." (Groundswell, page 203)
There are different types of people using social technologies:
* Creators - may create blogs, websites, etc.
* Critics - participate in communities, blogs, commenting, etc.
* Collectors - bookmark websites
* Joiners - join communities e.g. Facebook
* Spectators - just read
* Inactives - don't use social media at all
This book uses current and relative case studies to prove its points. In summary, Groundswell recommends getting started with social technology because it's already happening whether you're participating in it or not. It's recommended to have a social strategy that starts with one of the above objectives and measures it. I recommend anyone who is using social media in their job to read this book.
on June 3, 2011
Groundswell is an excellent read for anyone involved in the social media strategy and implementation. The book lays out a consumer segmentation model (social technographics ladder) that can be used to segment and understand the consumers of the social media. A company needs to understand the existing and evolving social technographics profile of consumers to choose appropriate social media and engagement strategies (listening, talking, energizing, helping, embracing). The book also proposes a four-step process for developing a social media marketing strategy - People, Objectives, Strategy, and Technology (called POST). The book has many case studies and insightful analysis of the power of social media. Although the social media technologies will continue to evolve rapidly, one must understand the bigger picture and the business use cases (in areas of customer research, marketing, sales, customer support, and new product development) in order to leverage the immense power of social media.
on September 5, 2014
Great book and reference for understanding the groundswell phenomena. I highly recommend it to any PR or marketing practitioners out there looking for more insight on how to tap into the love groups for products and services they are endorsing.
on May 4, 2017
Teached me well
on October 12, 2009
Groundswell is relevant in part, because it reminds readers to focus on the relationship first and then match the technology. It is a great place to start if you want to wrap your arms around social networking. The coolest part for me about this book is that it gave me an opportunity to use a bunch of the new media techniques I have recently adopted.

Instead of writing notes on paper or underlining in a hard copy book and then transferring to a computer, I read it on the Kindle and highlighted numerous passages with the highlight tool. The Kindle backs up your highlights to the Amazon cloud which is convenient for saving and cataloging ideas. Then, I used Evernote to save and catalog my highlights and notes from Amazon. At the same time, I wrote this review while reading the book which allowed me to more accurately reflect my feelings. Most importantly, I did all of this conveniently without the benefit of my own computer since my wireless card failed during my reading and I had to borrow another computer
on February 4, 2013
This is the first book I've read that is specifically talking about social networking the entire way through. It is a must read if you have ANY interest in social networking for a business. There are many examples of what companies are doing well and not so well. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because there are many social media platforms that are on the rise the book does not cover and that isn't really the authors fault but not expect to see anything about pinterest, instagram or vine in this book. It does cover community sites, facebook and twitter VERY well. I would absolutely buy an updated edition if one comes out.
on June 17, 2013
This book was required text for a class concerning "Social Media Strategies" and this book has a number of good examples of how social media has been used correctly, and incorrectly, by companies both big and small. The videos add some clarification to information in the book but was not necessarily need if the book is being used in a classroom setting. I could see the videos being helpful if a person is reading this book on their own. I would recommend this book to anyone who is thinking of starting a social media presence either for personal use or in a business setting.