Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on June 24, 2010
What can I say...If you want to learn about Group Policy and how it works, especially on the new Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 - this is the book for you.
First the bad: You're going to need to setup a few computers to go along with this book. They can be old PC's from your office , virtual computers on a Server or virtual computers on the Internet. They will give you info on how to do this in the book.

Why these computers? Because you're going to be following along in the book and applying everything you learn to these computers. You will set new policies and then test them on the different operating systems and users from this network of computers you created. So now you see in real time how Group Policy actually works and what it does. To me that's what makes this book so great; your applying everything you learn right away to a real computer network. So now you can see these changes actually take place which not only helps me remember what different settings do but now I better understand why and how it works.

I enjoyed Jeremy Moskowitz writing style which provided humor at times but also explained in plain English subjects of Group Policy I just never understood properly until I read this book.
In the end you will learn everything from the basics to the most advanced settings. Plus there are plenty of web links and references to other material in the book, so you will have plenty to go on after your done with this book and may want more advanced learning.
on June 26, 2014
Moskowitz is very knowledgeable and writes well enough, though maybe at times too clever by half. But note that about a third of the way through the book, starting in Ch.6, he begins to advocate for his own company's software, "PolicyPak", which is of course free in a very limited version and not-so-free for real-world use. Having never heard of PolicyPak I found this disconcerting. I ordered a book about administration of networks using Microsoft tools. I didn't realize I was paying - in part, at least - for a sales pitch.

That aside, there is much to learn here. In spite of my annoyance with the included advertisement I can recommend the book as long as you buy it used. Even if you're very experienced you're likely to find some good ideas here.
on September 29, 2015
Fantastic book, very detailed and expansive on the topic of Group Policy.

The recommended lab is only three machines: A domain controller, and "user" PC (which the author states will change it's usage depending on the lab), and a "management" PC (much like the sysadmin's PC). For me, every lab that I needed to do was able to fit within the flexibility of this lab. The only times where it didn't apply where when there were multiple domain controller for synchronization and cross-linking policies. You can also download the install disks of any Windows OS for a "trial usage" from Microsoft. These last typically 180 days, and are more than enough to work through the book.

This book is definitely for the intermediate administrator. And I also did find it very dry at times. Not because of the author's writing style, but mostly because of the expansive, dry content (there's a lot to cover). There were many times my own brain was able to grasp a concept quickly, while the book took several pages to cover every detail, which led to skimming a large portion of the book. The content however, is there, making this a great reference.

Highly recommended.
on November 1, 2012
I've struggled with getting started with this book. The recommended lab is fairly complex to set up to be prepared to run through the examples, requiring several machines. You're best off if you've got an MSDN or Technet subscription and access to a powerful workstation or server that can run several virtual machines at the same time, if you want to actually run through the labs.

The start of the book tries to dump a lot of complex information quickly in a style that is very atypical for technical textbooks. The author's examples are entertaining but can be challenging to tie into the intended take-away. Sometimes the author's asides, analogies, quips and banter can be distracting from understanding the point. This could just be a challenge in that his writing in enjoyable enough you forget you're trying to learn about Group Policy, not about the particular sidebar the author is on about.

Finally, the chapter one examples naming conventions in the charts and figures do not match the naming conventions used in the text - requiring you to spend extra time thinking about which server the text is referring to compared to what the server is labeled in the chart. In particular, the domain is labeled corp.com and widgets.corp.com in the graphic, and referred to as example.com and widgets.example.com in the text. Likewise the corp.com DCs are COPRDC1 and CORPDC2 in the image - but EXAMPLEDC1 and EXAMPLEDC2 in the text. There are numerous other examples like this. In the introductory chapters where you're trying to understand some complex foundation concepts, having to work through this is distracting.

This refers to the paberback 6th edition of this book.
on January 12, 2013
I approached the subject of Group Policy with no prior experience. This book was meant to be my formal introduction to the world of GP. It has taken me a very long time to work through this book (4-5 months), because GP is not a subject that you can take lightly in today's managed desktop environments. Jeremy has a very simple and effective learning style, and this book is largely filled with valuable content. Only 5% or so of this book is skimming material (tables on what different policies settings are, all of that information is readily available when you start working with specific Policies), the rest is solid content. Group Policy can be a very dry and intensely technical topic, so I found that I am only able to digest around 10-15 pages of this book at a time.

I believe this book is the best in class, and I am very glad that I invested in it, as Jeremy is a fine teacher of this topic.
on June 4, 2014
This is a tome of information that, I confess, I haven't read cover to cover. I read it as needed and use as a reference. I had previously purchased the predecessor to this book and used it to the point where it was dog eared and falling apart. I had to pick up this version for the new tweaks available in Server 2008R2 and Server 2012 and to Windows 7 clients. Moskowitz' style reminds me of the writing style I normally associate with O'Reilly press: a knowledgeable tome for ease of reference, that just when the detail gets too heavy, lightens the mood with an appropriate dose of humor to make sure you're still awake.
on March 9, 2015
I am an IT professional who likes to have a book to read and refer to. In an age of digital copies it is sometimes nice to have a book to highlight and mark pages. This is a good sized book for portability. The topics are covered well and offers step by step instruction as well as detailed descriptions of what you are doing.
I have been using versions of this book for over 10 years. The author know the topics and writes about GPOs well.
on June 30, 2011
If you are looking for a resource on Windows Group Policy I don't know of any better. I've been working with Group Policy since 2000 and learned a lot from this book. A must have for your tech library if you are a Windows Administrator.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2011
This book is a solid reference and an easy and (almost) enjoyable read. The author makes a good effort write in an interesting and fun way, which is a good accomplishment for what is a fairly dry and deeply technical subject. The content is strong to with up to date, useful information on current OS's. By keeping the information pragmatic you have a very useful reference book, on a subject that is still mysterious for many administrators.
on May 14, 2011
This is the Bible of Group Policy as far as I am concerned. A must read. A good reference to go back to.

1. Great information.
2. Great Examples you can follow as you read.
3. Good tips on gotchas and covers multiple versions of Windows.
4. Kindle form made it easy to take with me and read.
5. Extra chapters were good.

Some of the not so goods:

1. I got it in Kindle format, and the diagrams and graphics sucked! I could not get a lot of them to show up very good no matter how I formatted it on the screen.
2. You would think book marks would help going back, but I found it better if I copied the bookmarks to my One Note and then kept them there.
3. Extra chapters as I said were good, but I was a bit exhausted from reading it, and I will have to go back and read again.