Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

• Grub

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on March 13, 2014
I found Grub to be OK. The characters are interesting and can draw you in, but the story plays out predictably.

I sped up to finish the book, as it just got a bit repetitive. I suspect that writers would feel a kinship with the woes of publishing - to write for the muse, or to write for money, etc. But that gets old to read about, I think, for those of us that don't aspire to be authors.
on March 23, 2008
Really enjoyed this book. Loved the pace created by short chapters in alternating points of view, the silly but realistic predicaments the characters find themselves in, and most of all, the author's keen sense of humor and sharp observations about today's literary pop culture.
on November 13, 2012
It is an interesting twist to review a book about writers and the reviews that impact their lives. The writers themselves are an interesting mix of those who write for profit, those who write hoping for good reviews, and those who write for themselves. Amazon itself plays a minor character as the keeper of the popularity and good review statistics. Many of the issues of politics of publishing are not new; indeed this book itself is a new iteration of a book published years ago. The writing moves us forward and does a nice job of introducing us to the characters. We know their aspirations and understand their actions. I enjoyed reading this book.
on November 29, 2012
A novel about writers in New York who spend all day in angst about their writing. An entire book about that. Well, normally I'd run in horror...however, this book is so expertly written that it provides its own rationale. "Grub" seems to be saying, everyone wants to be a writer, so you must create a book about writers. And the sentiments expressed are so exact and true you cannot deny "Grub".

"To please the vulgar, you must somehow embody the genius of vulgarity. I doubt I have that specialized talent, but I know that I can write for the college-educated dolt."
on March 30, 2012
I've just had to quit reading a 99-cent book because it was so bad (despite so many glowing reviews), and when I think that Grub was only $1.00 more...well, sometimes you CAN get more than what you pay for, I guess. Well-written, witty, good character development and plot. I couldn't give it 5 stars because that is reserved for truly great books (in my book).
on October 24, 2007
While this is indeed a scathing satire of the publishing world, it is a story that anyone can enjoy. To me, it feels like a whole new kind of parody, one that manages to succeed without moralizing. Blackwell is able to showcase both the pitfalls and windfalls of the book-business without ever becoming mean-spritied or dogmatic. In this novel, the relationship between artistic integrity and commercial success is not so much antithetical as just...occasional. In Grub, we are shown that the publishing world is a lot like the real world: often cruel, occasionally generous, and almost always indifferent to our plans.
on January 22, 2013
Light and breezy with familiar characters who all get what they truly want in the end, the book has some funny bits about the current literary scene of MFA writing groups, journals and publishing in general. I enjoyed it, though I suspect the author is employing one of the techniques for success that the characters disparage. Namely, choose a hobby, knitting, stained glass, baking, and write a book with that as your setting. Everyone who does that hobby will buy your book. There are 2 million knitters in the United States, how many want to be writers?
on December 20, 2012
A wonderful read; couldn't put it down. It shows us the five career paths of a clutch of writers in Lit Central, aka Manhattan. The characters represent the various paths a beginning writer might choose, from the almost fanatical focus on a six-figure advance and art be damned to the perfectionist who cannot let go of his dream of the great American novel. The three others in between suffer success and failure to slightly more moderate degrees. Blackwell has succeeded where we are so often warned not to tread--the writer writing about writing. Just read it.
on November 25, 2012
This was a real deal... I very much liked all the characters and how it was they progressed. It was clear to me where it was each of them were going, and they stayed in character. The many nuances, the camaraderie was palpable. The ending, however, was to me a bit trite. It just sort of dropped off. But, I had a good time along the way.
on January 3, 2015
It is no surprise this book was so cheap. It was incredibly slow. There was no depth to the characters, nothing that made me like or root for any of them. The relationships weren't believable.