Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Guardian
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$0.99

on August 20, 2014
I really loved it. Had me hooked from beginning to end - never a dull moment.
on September 30, 2013
This story should be turned into a movie. The idea of Vampires requiring Guardians is very unique. It's a fast read with lots of action.
on June 4, 2013
Really, really enjoyed this! Highly original premise with richly developed characters and a strong female protagonist to root for. I loved Anna. I loved the new twist on vampires and how they have been integrated into society over the years. The author has clearly spent a great deal of time creating a deeply believable world where vampires and humans live along side each other. The writing style was amazing. Very taut and crisp, echoing the great hard boiled writers of the '40s such as Jim Thompson. Highly recommended.
on February 12, 2013
i have to say this book really grew on me. it's a nicely different take on vampires. nicely done, and got more interesting as the book went on. then, at the end, the book just stopped dead (yes, a pun) like the end of a chapter....where is the rest of the story? i felt sure i'd find books 2-5....appears there is just this book right now. i would like to read a much longer book set in this world.

if you are into vampire worlds/stories, i would definitely recommend this, with reservations. one, it's not kid friendly- it's for older teens at the very least. it has very adult themes. be forwarned. not just handholding in this book. actually i would prefer more handholding and less raw detail.... that's just me. less is more sometimes, in bedroom scenes, imho. two, know that there is no end of the story right now.....but hopefully there will be in the future. three, this is not twilight, but that is not said in a mocking way. i love twilight, and this book/world is quite the opposite..... but there is room in the written world for both visions!

great start on a series. would work very well as a graphic novel, or three....

but: needs a different book cover, one that would better describe the book, and make it more attractive to potential buyers. even though i read on kindle devices, the cover still sets the tone of a book, and although the story is about a young woman- not a teen- more needs to be shown about the content of the vampire world this author has created. just a thought.
on December 4, 2012
The first two pages as well as several other sections which read very similar to The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. Being influenced by a writer's style is one thing but this seemed like plagiarism to me. Overall it was a difficult read.
on March 9, 2012
The blurb talks about secrets being revealed by a guardian. I read to 93%, then skimmed the rest. At 93%, there were still no secrets revealed. This was a bunch of disjointed snippets put together. Sometimes the pieces made sense and sometimes they didn't. I'm still trying to figure out what this book was. It wasn't terrible, it was just pointless. Though Anna felt passion of various kinds, I never felt them with her. The words were just words, words that didn't convey any real meaning to me as the reader. She was in love with somebody, but I never understood why or really anything about her. I never cared about her or her well-being.

Grammar and spelling were good. Book was well-edited.

I'm not sorry to have skimmed the remaining 7% of the book, and I have zero interest in any other books by this author. Your mileage may vary.
on February 28, 2012
I got this book for free from Amazon a few weeks ago and thought I would give it a go since it was so short (about 180 pages??). It is the story of Anna who was turned into a vampire 8 years ago and her current life in London living with the rules and regulations the government has put on vampires. Vampires have come about due to a virus that has spread, all vampires must be contained and kept under control until their "appetite" meds start working, and they are all assigned a guardian who keeps a close watch on them. So that is the plot of the story in a nutshell...sounds kinda good right?? Well its not! The story was confusing and at the end I just wondered what the point was. The characters were as flat as pancakes. The only interesting thing was the "science" behind the vampire virus but even that was undeveloped and confusing. Since I have used it over and over again...Guardian in one word...CONFUSING! 2 stars. Skip it for a better vampire book.
on February 19, 2012
seriously??? This books has the exact same story line as the girl with the dragon tatoo-no wonder it was free
on October 26, 2011
Guardian is a short story by Elita Daniels and focuses on vampire Anna who was turned 8 years ago. Vampirism is an infection that was accidentally discovered 30 years ago during a scientific experiment. It is passed on by other vampires who are `carriers' of the disease through their venom when they bite people. Once turned a vampire must go into a camp where they are experimented on like animals in a lab. They are mistreated, abused and tortured all in the name of science to see how much of a threat they will be to society. Once released the vampires must take a cocktail of drugs to control their blood lust. They are also assigned a human protector, a Guardian, who is a bit like a parole officer.

This isn't your usual paranormal book. There are no other creatures or special powers or battles etc as vampirism was accidentally invented by scientists. There are no hunting demons or a big case to solve. It just follows Anna who is a carrier vampire and her struggle with ordinary life and I really liked that, it made a change for me. I sort of liked Anna she is a complicated character one minute then she is fine the next she acts very strange, she also acts kind of crazy and I just wanted to give her a slap at times. Anna finds it very difficult to trust and love people, she prefers one night stands to a relationship and this is a big part of the book. She has two completely different love interests and I was truly shocked to find out what happens in both relationships. The story is very dark, Anna is abused in the book and she is deceived by those she finally comes to trust. The characters are quite unpleasant people and I cheered when one finally met his demise. The vampires are not sparkly they are dangerous sadistic people who like to play with humans and not in a good way. The book is extremely fast paced. At times I thought I had missed a page as the story jumps about so much and this did out me off. I have mixed feelings about this book, on one hand I liked the different take on vampires by Ms Daniels and I do like to read dark stories but then on the other it was just too fast. The story ends very abruptly another negative for me it was like the last page didn't get printed. On a plus point I feel that this could be a great book if it was fleshed out, wasn't as fast paced and more time spent on it, I also love the cover. If you like dark gritty writing maybe you should give this book a go. I would like to give this book 3 stars.
on July 21, 2011
I liked this book, but didn't love it. I enjoyed the world the author created and the alternate concept she has conceived for her vampires. A virus that can mutate in a person to either infect them or leave them a carrier -- the latter which must be shunted away to contain the spread of the "disease".

While I have no complaints on the actual editing of the book - it was easy to read and free of errors, I didn't care for the way the story is told. A lot of writers mix narrative and showing to pull the reader in. Too often in this story we are simply told what is happening. But we don't feel it when our heroine is feeling it.

When she's involved with the doctor and we're told she loves him, I found it hard to believe. She seemed detached from him and every other partner she had throughout the book. While I found the story compelling and I read it in a few days, I kept wishing for more -- more depth from the characters, more feeling, more rich description bringing us in -- but over and over the author "tells" us what happens and it falls flat.

Also, the ending seemed rather abrupt. I won't spoil it, but there was no resolution with this book and it's almost like if you want to know how the story ends you MUST buy the next one. I would much rather have seen some wrap up with a lead in to the next story over being left hanging as this ending did.

Overall, I think this author has promise and I will check out her other work. I liked the concept and the characters, but I would have liked to get to know them better rather than left feeling like an outsider during the story.