Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2: Angela (Marvel Now) (Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel))
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

...Or, a rip in the space time continuum. Either way, this is what Valkyrie should be and still isn't. She's a kick-butt warrior who doesn't take crap from anyone. And as soon as she and Gamora finish throwing down, they're sure to be good friends.

Angela is a shot in the arm the GOTG needed after the opening volume; and her Arrival upsets the Watcher, Uatu. "She cannot be here." She's from Heven, and all she knows of Earth are childhood stories - much like Earth knows of Heaven. Peter Quill was close to one of the ruptures when the event that brought Angela from her universe occurred; an event Tony Stark knows something about. And Thanos says will doom the Earth. Just another apocalypse!

After Angela is introduced, the second half of the book is connected to the Infinity crossover, but isn't bogged down by it. Quill intercepts a distress call from Abigail Brand from the SWORD orbital station. The GOTG head to Earth to discover Thanos is trying to take it over! When their rescue mission goes awry, Angela arrives to assist and facilitate the Avengers arrival. That battle takes place "off screen" as part of the event. A lot happens in this volume but it avoids being a confusing mess by focusing on the characters. The volume closes with Angela and Gamora freeing slaves from the Badoon and Angela learning that the Badoon may know something of her people.

Overall, Angela is sure to be a lot fun for the Marvel Universe, especially in light of what is coming in the crossover Original Sin. I can't wait to see what happens! Highly recommended.
on February 23, 2014
The 3-star review by Noel is spot on. Go read it.

A few points:
(1) Sara Pichelli's art is very good
(2) The plot is quite loose....lots of things happen just to happen and don't make much sense
(3) Angela, the heroine of the story, has little personality
(4) Too many fights that happen for no reason
(5) Bendis's strength is dialogue. Too many of his characters are offering up sarcastic quips - maybe this is the state of 2014 America, but I'd rather have some of these characters uttering deeper and more substantial thoughts
(6) Rocket Racoon has been moved to the backburner, and when he does talk, it is quite fluffy

*addendum - Tony Stark in space does not work (I realized this while on the treadmill today). He has inferior technology compared to most of the other races that the Guardians come into contact with. He wouldn't be able to zoom around and defeat soldiers with better tech and huge spaceships for more advanced civilizations. It is similar to a 15th century soldier taking out a 21st century soldier today. It's silly.
on August 14, 2014
Forget all the movie hype and read guardians of the galaxy, at first I thought I wouldnt like it but ended up falling in love with the series, meet the avengers of space who are less heros but more wth and lets do it, well worth reading.
on October 26, 2014
Aside from issues #8-9 of this volume the artwork done by Sara Pichelli is simply amazing. The story is filled with humor and extremely enjoyable to read. I also love the debut of Angela to the Marvel Universe. A great addition to the Guardian's of the Galaxy Team. A must have for those who have Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Cosmic Avengers.
on March 5, 2015
I'll be the first to admit the necessary evil that is tie-in stories, if Marvel or DC decide to do a large "event" you can bet every book under their supervision is going to have to participate as well. Having said that, the Infinity tie-in felt a little disjointed from everything else going on previously and thereafter, but it was handled about as well as any author could to placate the larger "event".

I really enjoyed the first Vol. of Brian Michael Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy, and was looking forward to seeing how they introduced Angela into this universe. Needless to say, the first issue or so of this Vol. is the best and it quickly goes downhill.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume the constant change in artists had something to do with the whole cohesion of this Vol. We go from having Iron Man as a new member of the group, to having him completely absent from proceedings later on under different artists. Where did he go? I don't want to have to read so many additional titles just to keep track of characters.

It seems working with 3-4 different artists over the span of 5 issues might have adversely affected Bendis' continuity.

Here's hoping the story gains its footing back with a regular artist for Bendis to work with so future Vol. don't suffer from the same fate.
on September 17, 2014
Neil Gaiman's character, Angela, is introduced, but they don't really do anything with her. I'm not even sure why that character was brought into this.

Some of the stories are hit or miss, but good overall. Pretty funny throughout. Worth a read.
on April 10, 2014
I'm not really into scifi and it was with great reluctance that I picked up the first issue of The Guardians of the Galaxies last incarnation. I immediately fell in love with it's characters and sense of humor. It never took itself too seriously; even the characters were sometimes in disbelief or complaining about how they just don't like this space stuff.

The present series may only appeal to those who enjoyed the last series, but I know that many people who loved Guardians the last time around are not big fans of this current run. Still, with the movie coming out- I don't think Marvel will overlook the potential of this awesome title.
on April 10, 2015
This installment of The Guardians of the Galaxy has it’s ups and downs. Just because of the dialog and mostly beautiful art (we’ll get back to that) I want to give it a five star rating. However, that just won’t do.

I’m not a fan of major events that take place over entire publishing universes.With DC most of the time you get repeat issues in various collections if you’re going the trade route. When I read these arcs (like The Court of Owls arc) I simply hated that I had the same chapters more than once. Now that I’ve read an arc like this from Marvel where those issues aren’t included I’m equally frustrated because I don’t know what happened in those missing pages!

With Guardians of the Galaxy there was three different times when I felt disoriented just from reading a single trade. I was unaware that I would have to read The Age of Ultron in the middle of Guardians in order to be able to follow along. I think the better path for the creators would have been to have summaries inserted in the trade to fill in those blanks at the very least. I mean, what happens with Tony Stark!? He’s there and I’m enjoying their banter one second, the next second, BOOM no Tony and no reason.

The other thing I had a hard time with the art change. The first and last of the trade had beautiful art but somewhere in the middle there was just a totally different style that didn’t mesh well with what I expect of the comic.

Last but not least, Gamora. She’s my favorite character because she is such a badass but I just felt like she was really weak in this comic. I was okay with her having a tough battle with Angela because Angela is this new being that no one understands, but a bounty hunter? No. Unacceptable. She should have handed him his ass, fancy gun or no.

There are things I did like:
1. my crush on Star-Lord is still strong. I loved his back and forth with Tony Stark.
2. Tony and Rocket’s banter as well. Too funny.
3. Rocket and his “Blam. Murdered you.” – I still quote this every time I kill a boss on one of my video games
4. Some of the art. So pretty.
5. Angela. Sorta. I dig her character design (She’s a little more tough and solid looking than your average girl). I hope we find out more about her world. It sounds like an awesome concept.

Unfortunately the dislikes outweighed the likes in this case. I’ll still keep reading but this is only getting a 2 out of 5 stars.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 7, 2014
The ending of Age of Ultron saw time tear and multiple things change as a result, one of them being the introduction of Angela into the Marvel Universe. Who’s Angela, you say? She was a celestial bounty hunter created by Neil Gaiman during his short run on Todd Macfarlane’s Spawn series in the early 90s. She disappeared for several years while Gaiman and Macfarlane fought for who owned the rights to the character with the courts eventually favouring Gaiman. So now she’s back after Gaiman handed her over to Marvel for an appearance in the rebooted Guardians of the Galaxy, and was subsequently touted as co-writer on the Angela issues, eventually getting bumped down to consultant on Angela’s dialogue(!) for some reason. Marvel are trying to make Angela a big deal even though, if we’re all honest, few people heard of her until recently, and even fewer cared. And even though I’m not sure why her introduction had to be such a big event, she has been an ok addition to this increasingly unexciting series.

The Guardians are momentarily split with Rocket, Gamora, Tony and Groot bumming around on their spaceship while Star-Lord and Drax investigate the time incursions alien planet-side. This book commits one of the most annoying things I hate about superhero comics – arbitrary superhero fights. Angela shows up, is understandably angry at being suddenly displaced and heads to Earth for answers – Gamora then decides to attack Angela for no reason and the two swordfight on the moon. What happened to communication? How about talking to Angela first before trying to slice her head off? The fight is undeniably visually cool but in the aftermath everyone sheepishly realises if they’d just talked to start with, all of the fighting could’ve been averted – DUH! But this is a superhero comic so they’ve got to shoehorn arbitrary superhero fighting, even if it makes the book stupider than it is.

And let’s talk about Angela’s redesign which is basically a belt, a helmet and a ribbon - they should just call her the Angel of Strippers and be done with it! But when we finally get around to hearing her speak (Gaiman earning his paycheck), it’s fairly unremarkable stuff and there isn’t much more we learn about why she’s here – Age of Ultron happened and boom! suddenly she was in the Marvel U! The depiction of Heven, Angela’s home, is awesome though, suitably abstract and weird for an alien, alternate universe that Earth humans have made into a destination for the afterlife.

While the art is pretty good throughout – Sara Pichelli is amazing, she gives Steve McNiven a run for his money in this book - Star-Lord’s meeting with Thanos is simply bizarre. Thanos is MASSIVE. Look at the character in Thanos Rising or Infinity – he’s a tall, bulky dude that’s about 7 feet tall max but the way he’s depicted in this book makes him look double that! I don’t understand why he suddenly grew just for this book, and it just looks ridiculous. Then to conclude their meeting, Star-Lord and Thanos fight and the scene immediately cuts - later on Star-Lord shows up, unharmed. What happened in their fight? No clue, we’re not told, it’s just a big ol’ plot hole right there, because in a fight between the two, Thanos is clearly the winner – all Star-Lord has is a gun while Thanos has god-like powers and could kill Star-Lord with his bare hands!

Bendis has a bad habit of throwing stuff in simply because he thinks it’s cool – Thanos’ appearance, the Angela fight, hell, Angela’s appearance in the first place! – not because it makes for a better story. But one thing he does really well is banter among characters and this book is no different. The interactions among the team like discussions on Rocket’s disturbing new catchphrase “BLAM! Murdered you! You’re dead! BLAM!”, Tony Stark’s outdated (by Guardians’ standards) tech, and the gossip that follows an office romance – Tony and Gamora hook up! – being the highlights.

However, none of these things hides the fact that there’s no real story to this book. Angela is the story and given that she’s kind of a dull character with no real personality who barely speaks, the book is a pretty stultifying read. This volume features some of Bendis’ laziest plotting this year (and I’ve read Age of Ultron!) which manages to drain the initial excitement of the new series. Great art aside, Guardians of the Galaxy needs a much stronger story if it’s going to make its audience connect and care about this still fairly unknown cast of characters.
on June 16, 2014
Collects Guardians of the Galaxy issues #4-10

I read this volume immediately after finishing Volume 1. The story picks right up from where Volume 1 left off, and the whole collection started off very strong. I was intrigued by the introduction of the new character, Angela (making her transition from Image Comics over to Marvel Comics).

Rocket Raccoon is hilarious. I can see why everyone loves him.

I was also intrigued by Star-Lord being aware of the disruption in the space/time continuum. He somehow sensed the effects of the "Age of Ultron" event, while others had no idea that anything happened. Quill's eventually has a very telling conversation with (SPOILERS...) The Mad Titan, Thanos.

There was a lot that Marvel did right with this volume.

My interest started to wane when the Guardians were inevitably brought into the "Infinity" event. The "Infinity" tie-in had to happen because the Guardians are cosmic Avengers, but I was really bored by their mini-story, and completely turned off by how the artwork changed for these two issues (Issues #8-9). Unfortunately, things didn't recover for me in Issue #10, so my final score for this volume was brought way down from where it started.