Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 4, 2016
Heaps of reviews so not much I can add here...but....

Lucky me, I got to read it while visiting Guernsey!

Was this book worth the Kindle Price? $8.63 USD. Yup, absolutely!

Is it a page turner? Yes.

Did I want to be reading this book when I wasn't reading this book? Yes.

Did I learn anything from this book?
Yes, loved all the information so subtly provided about the German occupation. It's like a history book without the boring bits.

Did I think about this book after I was finished reading.
Yes, it has stayed with me. It's been a month since I put it down but I still do think of it. Luckily, I was able to get a fridge magnet of the book cover while in Guernsey.

My only negative comment - now this may sound petty as I really did enjoy all the books and all the characters! But I did notice they all have the same voice. We don't all write letters in the same style and this was not reflected in the book. All the letters were written in the same particular witty style. Made for good fun reading but I did find that a bit strange as like I said, we do all write differently!
on December 13, 2017
I forgot how much fun it is to read good, old-fashioned correspondence. These letters, especially the ones written by the central character, are jaunty, naughty, full of personality and spunk. Her response to a dinner invitation, for example, is “Yes, dinner with pleasure. I’ll wear my new dress and eat like a pig.”

Pigs end up playing a major role in this wonderful little book when the author connects with some villagers on Guernsey Island, who have recently emerged from German occupation during World War II. She learns how they outsmarted the Germans, who were fussy over farm animals, according to one explanation of how The Guernsey Literary Society came about in the first place. Spoiler alert: it was because of pigs.

Their mischievous pig roast compelled them to keep up appearances as the literary society they indeed were not. Yet, as one of the inciters of the pig roast writes, “Once two members read the same book, they could argue, which was our great delight.” Their original naughtiness eventually morphed into a sweet band of friends who “read books, talked books, argued over books, and became dearer and dearer to one another.”

The characters are vivid and easy to love, like the characters in Foyle’s War and 84 Charring Cross Road, carrying on despite the undertow of war rumbling beneath them. The writing delighted me, because so much of it made the familiar, ordinary things of life fresh and beautiful and fun (like when the author confesses really like to leave London to live on Guernsey instead). She writes, “The only thing I’d truly miss about London are Sidney and Susan, the nearness to Scotland, new plays, and Harrods Food Hall.” Refreshing: a little bit naughty, a little bit spice. My favorite line in the whole book is her contention that, “Reading good books ruins you for enjoying bad books.”

I consider it a compliment to say that this was such a good book, it may have ruined me for whatever one’s next!
on May 31, 2017
This is a different sort of WWII novel in that it takes place post-war but relates events from the war. It is an epistolary novel and one has to get used to the various letter-writers. The chapter headings indicate a change in narrator but the voice is not always that different and so the events within in the narrative have to remind the reader of who is talking. Eventually that is not much of an issue as the narrators become fewer. The story is original and at times amusing and/or poignant. The literary references are fun...the more one has read, the more one has insights into the ironies or asides. I recommend it highly as an original, interesting, historically unique perspective on WWII.
on April 29, 2017
A different take on WW II as seen by a youngish woman journalist in London who makes contact with the natives of Guernsey, a UK island in the English Channel and how they dealt with the occupation of their small community by German troops through the entire term of the war. The entire book is the exchange of letters from the female journalist with her long time friends and, as the story develops, the exchange of letters with a variety of the members of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, telling how the name and society came about, about their lives during war-time and shortly after the war of five long years has ended. This was a different look at WW II than I had seen it before and became more aware of what the people had to deal with and endure though they only were under bombing attacks as actual fighting across the Channel in France was drawing to a close. The book was recommended to me (albeit after I had already begun reading it), I enjoyed it , and I recommend it to others.
on December 30, 2017
I didn’t think I’d like this book, as there is no dialogue and nothing happens in real time. It is composed of letters and telegrams only. However, I decided to try it when it became a Kindle Daily Deal and liked it much better than expected. It deals primarily with the lives of people living on Guernsey, a Channel Island during World War II beginning with the German occupation. It has romance, humor and sadness. Most of all it shows us the effects of the occupation on ordinary people and how they coped with the deprivations.
on May 9, 2017
I love historical fiction, particularly about World War II. However, most of what I like is historical mystery/thriller, so I was a little dubious about this book, but I am so glad I got to read it. The authors provided a magical glimpse into live in the Channel Islands during the German occupation. I absolutely loved the telling of the story through letters. I also liked the embedded love story. These are some of the most memorable characters in all the books I have read. Run, don't walk, to your bookstore or computer to get this book; you will thank me.
on March 9, 2018
When I heard about the movie coming out a friend told me this was one of her favorite books, so, of course I bought it. I actually did not like it at first. I have never liked "correspondence" format in literature, and this book is nothing but letters. And, these letters make absolutely no sense... in the beginning. However, after a few days I was enthralled with a beautiful tapestry of a cleverly woven tale that began to expand and subtly clarify each character and event. Beautifully written, I finally began to get the depth and scenery that is too often lacking in letters. I have cried, and I have laughed. I have been swept into a time and place, though tragic, sees the joy of surviving, and not just surviving but triumphing. This is not a difficult book to read and it is well worth the time. A story of simple people who survive the occupation of German soldiers for 5 years on their beloved island during WW II, the loss of loved ones and the surprising understanding that the enemy is not always the bad guy. Don't miss this one..
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 21, 2017
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows is set in post-World War II England. When we enter the story, Juliet, a writer of a newspaper column during the war which was later turned into a book, is trying to think of a good idea for her second book. When a man named Dawsey from an island called Guernsey writes to her out of the blue after acquiring one of her old books, she may have found her story! A story along with so much more...

When I first started reading this book, I was a bit thrown by the format; it is a series of letters between various characters. To keep each character straight, I had to make some notes that I referred to on and off until I had everyone figured out. I really appreciated that each new letter begins with a note that tells you who the letter is from and to. Example: From Juliet to Sidney. However, this was so beautifully written that it sucked me right in.

Here are my character notes, just incase this helps anyone. Note: there are some slight spoilers ahead. This is NOT the full character list, just the ones I wrote down.
Juliet- main character, author
Sidney- Juliet's publisher and childhood friend
Dawsey- man from Guernsey who acquired one of Juliet’s books.
Sophie- Juliet's childhood friend, her brother (Sidney) owns the publishing firm.
Susan- traveling with Juliet
Markham Reynolds- American publisher
Amelia Maugery- member of the potato peel society, asked to write to Juliet by Dawsey
Eben Ramsey- society member, grandpa to Eli
Clovis Fossey- society member, researched poetry to win over a woman (he married her!)
Adelaide Addison- islander, total party pooper. Tried to stop Juliet from writing to the society.
John Booker- society member, saved from being a drunk by reading, sent to a concentration camp during the war
Will Thisbee- society member, first to suggest that Juliet visit the island
Clara Saussey- was once a society member, she got kicked out when she wouldn't stop reading recipes from her own cookbook.
Eli- society member and wood carved, carves animals for Kit
Isola- society member, adorable, once fell off her chicken coop.

The character development was absolutely incredible. I loved that we got to learn about each person through both what they themselves wrote in letters to Juliet, as well as from what their friends and neighbors what wrote to Juliet about.

I fell in love with the majority of these characters so very quickly. The society members seemed so lovely and real that it was like they were my own small-town neighbors! I loved how willing they all were to write to Juliet to give her information about their society and their lives. Each of their excitement was very clear and I thought it was adorable.

Of course, there two were horrible characters that I wanted to smack quite badly. But even those two were written in a very interesting way.

Juliet was an awesome female main character. I loved her humor, her love of writing and books, and her persistence. I was nervous for her for a short time. But I wanted to cheer when she stood up to Mark when he proposed, saying that she didn’t know him well enough yet because after all, it had only been two months. It was clear from his letters that Mark was pushy. I got super angry when he seemed to simply ignore Juliet’s suggestions to propose his own plans.

The romance did not take up much of the book. It was a classic case of shyness, temporary denial, and misunderstanding where I just wanted someone to point out the obvious love interest to the two love birds. However, the scene where love was finally professed was absolutely wonderful. It was so perfect and it made me both laugh out loud and grin.

Of course, being set in post-WWII, there was a lot of discussion about what happened to the islanders during the war. Most of these passages were very difficult to read, but they were also very wonderfully written.

I flew through this book! I thought that everything about it was just so lovely. The storyline was fun, the characters were amazing, and the romance was so well done. I was worried about one romance trope that I absolutely despise, but I was very happy to see it crash and burn.

Favorite passages:

I don't want to be married just to be married. I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with.

Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.

That's what I love about reading: One tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bid there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive- all with no end in sight, and for no other reason then sheer enjoyment.

Your questions regarding that gentleman are very delicate, very subtle, very much like being smacked in the head with a mallet.

Isola reached me first by leaping over a create of lobsters and grabbed me up in a fierce hug that swung me off my feet. “Ah, lovey!” she cried while I dangled.
Wasn’t that dear? All my nervousness was squeezed righto out of me along with my breath.

The sea and the clouds don't stay the same for five minutes running and I'm scared I'll miss something if I stay inside.

I am in a constant state of surprise these days. Actually, now that I calculate, I’ve been betrothed only one full day, but it seems like my whole live has come into being in the last twenty-four hours.

This obsession with dignity can ruin your life if you let it.

All my life I thought that the story was over when the hero and heroine were safely engaged- after all, what’s good enough for Jane Austen ought to be good enough for anyone. But it’s a lie. The story is about to begin, and every day will be a new piece of the plot.
on January 7, 2018
Not only does the title give the reader an idea of what is in store but as soon as one starts the book, he or she knows it's gonna be good. This is the story of the people of the Channel Islands who suffered under the occupation of German troops during WW2 and the antics, heroics and survival under the guise of a literary group up to and including raising a pig under the noses of the Germans. And the story of a writer who falls in love with the place and must tell the story. When I say it is entertaining and mesmerizing I mean it. Read it now to learn why the title of the book is what it is. Like many other readers I didn't want it to end!
on January 9, 2017
I have never reviewed a book before I've finished before, but I am so delighted, I must. I am in the midst of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society and it's wonderful. I am tempted to put it away because I don't want it to end. I knew when I first saw mention of it, that I would enjoy it. If only for the title. Told in the form of letters about WWII and the German occupation of England's Channel Islands, I want to be best friends with every one of the quirky characters. Well, almost every one. The letters speak to Julia Ashton - a 30-something writer who is writing a newspaper article about the Guernsey people and they write her about their war-time experiences and the aftermath. There is a lesson in how they responded to extreme adversity. Most behaved well, some didn't. It always breaks my heart to read how the British had to send their children away during the war to safer places, never knowing if they would be treated kindly. Apparently almost the whole island had to send their children away within days of the German invasion. And kudos to the incredible strangers who took them in. I can't help but contrast that with the way immigrants are being treated in our country today by too many. Anyway, STRONGLY recommend.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.