Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Guess How Much I Love You
Format: Board book|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2017
I'd ordered this precious "Sweetheart Gift Edition" on Amazon last August, with hopes it would be one of the books we gave our youngest grandson on his 2nd birthday in September (or at least by Christmas!) Originally published in 1994, I don't know what the issues were with the delayed publication date of this gift edition (moved back to 12/27/16 - it didn't make it into our hands until 12/30/16), but even though we were disappointed not to receive it sooner, it was worth the wait! Such a clean look to the pearlescent cover, beautifully accented with the title and design element on the bottom of the front cover printed in silver (as is the quote on the back cover, "I love you right up to the moon - and back.") The soft color palette the illustrator uses is such a nice complement to the simplicity of the words and the story - nice and soothing to read to a youngster prior to a nap or at bedtime, and just the right size (6-1/2" x 7-1/2")... just make sure you're aware that this particular copy is NOT a board book with thick pages (and no pop ups or pull tabs.) Nice little encircled area inside with three lines where you can inscribe your own dedication to the recipient.

My favorite part is the story itself. Who knows at what age a tiny little person begins to comprehend what the word "love" means? I'm sure they begin to understand the concept as soon as they arrive, through a parent's (or other caregiver's) tender touches, kisses, hugs and smiles as they say the words. I can say without a doubt that the first utterance of "I love you, Grandma" by one of our grandkids has always been such a tender memory for me, as you can just sense that they're trying to find words to express how they're feeling (safe, happy, content) - just like Little Nutbrown Hare is trying to express to Big Nutbrown Hare in the story. Seems each time he attempts to quantify his love in terms he can grasp (as wide as his arms can stretch, as high as he can reach with his front paws - or his back paws, while doing a handstand! - or as high as he can hop or as far as he can see), his dad is always able to stretch wider/higher, see farther, etc., in quantifying his own love for his son. When he finally comes up with "I love you right up to the MOON" as the furthest thing he can imagine, his wise dad lets it go at that as the little fellow drifts off to sleep... before whispering with a knowing smile, "I love you right up to the moon - AND BACK."

Little Nutbrown Hare doesn't yet know that our capacity to give love only grows as we age, coming to a progressively greater understanding of what the word means by experiencing ALL that's involved in the intimate tapestry of loving someone. As an older woman, I can now weave into that tapestry the recognition of how beautiful it is to receive the earliest expressions of love from a grandchild - there's nothing better in this world. And for me, that's what this little story represents. Perfect.
22 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 18, 2011
This is a great product for any busy mom. It's super cute, and so easy to use. When a milestone happens, you just put in a sticker on the calendar. I find that I can actually remember to do this, even when I don't have time to write down a bunch of stuff in his baby book. I would recommend using this in conjunction with a baby book, that way you can write down more details later- and the calendar helps you keep track of and remember specific dates and firsts. The only gripe I have with it is that it should include a duplicate set of month stickers- it's a 13 month calendar so that you can mark his first birthday- but you only have one set of months so the 13 month you have to write it in on top of the "Place Sticker Here". Minor annoyance for an otherwise great product.
on August 30, 2014
I purchased this for my husband to read to our daughter because it seems as if the characters are father and child. It's a quick and easy read and a sweet story. My family has adopted the themes in the book. Every time we say "I love you", you are asked how much and the reply is followed by (our arms stretched high and wide) "this much".
I hope to pass this book and tradition to my grandchildren.
on July 18, 2016
This book is so beautiful, and is our go-to bedtime story book for our 4 month old, along with Goodnight Moon. Something about the cadence of the language seems to make her drift off to sleep every time I read it, and the story is lovely. I can;t wait until she can understand the meaning a bit more!
on November 26, 2016
This is an adorable book. I purchased it as a set along with the matching stuffed animal, to give as a gift for a friend's baby shower. I'm planning on purchasing both items again for another friend's new baby.
on April 23, 2015
My daughter and I love this book! She is already six, but we will keep this in her library for years to go. I always tell my daughter "I love you to the moon and back" and found a necklace, also on Amazon, with that phrase. I got the idea from another poster to purchase this book with it and it tied in perfectly. I gave them both to her for valentines day.
on March 18, 2016
My daughter had this book for her daughter, and it got lost in a move. Her son told me that he loves me to the moon and back, and when I hear the story of the book, I had to get a replacement for her, and it was a way to reiterate the words to her. This is a great quality item.
on December 30, 2015
Beautiful pictures and story. Bought this for my 20yr old daughter and she loved it. She use to tell me when she was little she loved me to the moon and back but we never knew there was a story that had been written about it. the packaging was flimsy and the book cover was bent in the corner.
on December 28, 2016
First book I bought to read to my newborn. Beautiful images which my little one really enjoys, and an adorable story. It may just make you weep the first time though - sweet story coupled with new mom hormones...you've been warned lol
on November 6, 2016
I have one for each of my children. All children should know there is no bound to the love of their parents. This story helps convey a message that should be rooted in the hearts and minds of all children.

I also love the simplicity of the artwork. It is beautiful.