Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Guess How Much I Love You
Format: Board book|Change

on August 24, 2016
A classic. Sweet illustrations with a sweet little story.
review imagereview image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2017
I'd ordered this precious "Sweetheart Gift Edition" on Amazon last August, with hopes it would be one of the books we gave our youngest grandson on his 2nd birthday in September (or at least by Christmas!) Originally published in 1994, I don't know what the issues were with the delayed publication date of this gift edition (moved back to 12/27/16 - it didn't make it into our hands until 12/30/16), but even though we were disappointed not to receive it sooner, it was worth the wait! Such a clean look to the pearlescent cover, beautifully accented with the title and design element on the bottom of the front cover printed in silver (as is the quote on the back cover, "I love you right up to the moon - and back.") The soft color palette the illustrator uses is such a nice complement to the simplicity of the words and the story - nice and soothing to read to a youngster prior to a nap or at bedtime, and just the right size (6-1/2" x 7-1/2")... just make sure you're aware that this particular copy is NOT a board book with thick pages (and no pop ups or pull tabs.) Nice little encircled area inside with three lines where you can inscribe your own dedication to the recipient.

The story itself is terrific. Who knows at what age a tiny little person begins to comprehend what the word "love" means? I'm sure they begin to understand the concept as soon as they arrive, through a parent's (or other caregiver's) tender touches, kisses, hugs and smiles as they say the words. I can say without a doubt that the first utterance of "I love you, Grandma" by one of our grandkids has always been such a tender memory for me, as you can just sense that they're trying to find words to express how they're feeling (safe, happy, content) - just like Little Nutbrown Hare is trying to express to Big Nutbrown Hare in the story. Seems each time he attempts to quantify his love in terms he can grasp (as wide as his arms can stretch, as high as he can reach with his front paws - or his back paws, while doing a handstand! - or as high as he can hop or as far as he can see), his dad is always able to stretch wider/higher, see farther, etc., in quantifying his own love for his son. When he finally comes up with "I love you right up to the MOON" as the furthest thing he can imagine, his wise dad lets it go at that as the little fellow drifts off to sleep... before whispering with a knowing smile, "I love you right up to the moon - AND BACK."

What Little Nutbrown Hare doesn't yet know is that our capacity to give love only grows as we age, coming to a progressively greater understanding of what the word means by experiencing ALL that's involved in the intimate tapestry of loving someone. As an older woman, I can now weave into that tapestry the recognition of how beautiful it is to receive the earliest expressions of love from a grandchild - there's nothing better in this world. And for me, that's what this little story represents. Perfect.
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Petson December 20, 2016
I have very fond memories of my parents reading me this board book as a young child, and so I bought this as a gift for a co-worker who was expecting a baby. The shipping speed and quality of the board book was great, and he was very happy with the gift. I'm now expecting a baby myself, and plan on buying a second copy for my own child.
on May 4, 2015
the pictures are repetitious, the colors are exactly the same and very muted. especially with the smaller board book the pictures are very small on the pages as they do not print the full pictures on one whole page for the board book. for my 1 year old, it just doesn't get her attention, for the story is a little long and the pictures do not spark any excitement or interest in her yet. i'm sure when she's older and is more into sitting and listening she may like it more, but this is just my words of advice for those looking to get it for their baby around her age.
on December 20, 2015
This little board book is a traditional book about how much a mommy loves her baby! It is small enough for baby to hold and short enough for an infant to sit and listen to! My 4 month old tries to grab the pages and put the book in his mouth so I needed the board book! It is an adorable story explaining how the little one will never understand how much mommy loves him!
on November 5, 2010
There's a reason this book is marked as being appropriate for age 4 and up. The fact is, this book is a bit long for many toddlers. They don't have the attention span for this sort of thing, especially one without a rhyming or more predictable plot.

My niece turned two before she was really interested in this book. The only way I could read it to her was right before she fell asleep. Now, though (at age 5 or 6 when I first wrote this review), she will even request it.

I can understand why people think this book is too competitive. However, it always appears to me like it's a sort of a game - who can come up with the most elaborate description? instead of an actual competition. Certainly the little nutbrown hare doesn't get upset during the book (and one day he'll be taller than his father, jump higher, etc.) However, if you're concerned about that, I would strongly suggest you read the book first, before you buy it.
on May 2, 2016
This is a very simple story with good values for a new born. The hard cover version is well made and pictures are attractive enough to draw attention of a baby. probably a good book to have as a night time story for very young babies. Since the material is so little, elder babies will probably get bored of it very quickly.
on October 1, 2017
All in all I am very happy with this purchase. It's a cute book and a cute little bunny, but for some reason I was expecting it to be bigger? I mean it's totally my fault I didn't read the description and the size of the bunny doesn't matter in the long run.
review image
VINE VOICEon July 10, 2011
I love this story and had the book when my children were younger. I think the message about love is beautiful and my children always enjoyed the story. I have purchased different versions of the book as baby shower gifts for friends. This version is a sturdy board book which comes nicely packaged with a soft toy bunny. The packaging of the two items look great for presenting as a gift. I am a little disappointed in the toy bunny. It's cute in the box, but I don't know if it's really suitable for a child under 3 to play with. If nothing else, it could be used as a nursery decoration until the baby is older. I highly recommend the book and also this version with the toy bunny with some reservations about the age level for playing with the toy.
on May 8, 2010
little nutbrown hare, enjoying a ride on his papa's back, wants to be sure that his father is listening - so he says, "guess how much i love you!" the result is a sweet, lighthearted, loving banter as father and son strive to describe the size of their love for each other - thinking bigger and bigger as the book goes on!

i LOVE this book. my 3 year old requests it before each nap and before bedtime - he loves reading about big & little's adventures in describing their love the rhythm of the book is beautiful and charming, and the illustrations perfectly match the sweet disposition of the book.

the person who gave this book one star completely missed the point of the book. it's not about "competition" - the father and son bounce off of each other and encourage each other to be increasingly imaginative. big nutbrown hare is quietly amazed by his son's big thinking and his counter is very very sweet. wow. don't base your purchase off of that crappy review.