Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Guess How Much I Love You
Format: Board book|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2017
I'd ordered this precious "Sweetheart Gift Edition" on Amazon last August, with hopes it would be one of the books we gave our youngest grandson on his 2nd birthday in September (or at least by Christmas!) Originally published in 1994, I don't know what the issues were with the delayed publication date of this gift edition (moved back to 12/27/16 - it didn't make it into our hands until 12/30/16), but even though we were disappointed not to receive it sooner, it was worth the wait! Such a clean look to the pearlescent cover, beautifully accented with the title and design element on the bottom of the front cover printed in silver (as is the quote on the back cover, "I love you right up to the moon - and back.") The soft color palette the illustrator uses is such a nice complement to the simplicity of the words and the story - nice and soothing to read to a youngster prior to a nap or at bedtime, and just the right size (6-1/2" x 7-1/2")... just make sure you're aware that this particular copy is NOT a board book with thick pages (and no pop ups or pull tabs.) Nice little encircled area inside with three lines where you can inscribe your own dedication to the recipient.

The story itself is terrific. Who knows at what age a tiny little person begins to comprehend what the word "love" means? I'm sure they begin to understand the concept as soon as they arrive, through a parent's (or other caregiver's) tender touches, kisses, hugs and smiles as they say the words. I can say without a doubt that the first utterance of "I love you, Grandma" by one of our grandkids has always been such a tender memory for me, as you can just sense that they're trying to find words to express how they're feeling (safe, happy, content) - just like Little Nutbrown Hare is trying to express to Big Nutbrown Hare in the story. Seems each time he attempts to quantify his love in terms he can grasp (as wide as his arms can stretch, as high as he can reach with his front paws - or his back paws, while doing a handstand! - or as high as he can hop or as far as he can see), his dad is always able to stretch wider/higher, see farther, etc., in quantifying his own love for his son. When he finally comes up with "I love you right up to the MOON" as the furthest thing he can imagine, his wise dad lets it go at that as the little fellow drifts off to sleep... before whispering with a knowing smile, "I love you right up to the moon - AND BACK."

What Little Nutbrown Hare doesn't yet know is that our capacity to give love only grows as we age, coming to a progressively greater understanding of what the word means by experiencing ALL that's involved in the intimate tapestry of loving someone. As an older woman, I can now weave into that tapestry the recognition of how beautiful it is to receive the earliest expressions of love from a grandchild - there's nothing better in this world. And for me, that's what this little story represents. Perfect.
61 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
Top Contributor: Petson December 20, 2016
I have very fond memories of my parents reading me this board book as a young child, and so I bought this as a gift for a co-worker who was expecting a baby. The shipping speed and quality of the board book was great, and he was very happy with the gift. I'm now expecting a baby myself, and plan on buying a second copy for my own child.
4 people found this helpful
on April 2, 2018
This is another favorite book that I frequently give as a gift to children for birthdays or Christmas. There is always one or two copies of it in my office at the pre-school and quite frequently during the week I have to read it to "someone" who is sad or upset. They calm right down and want me to read it again. This is a great book to give as a gift.
2 people found this helpful
on August 24, 2016
A classic. Sweet illustrations with a sweet little story.
review imagereview image
20 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2018
I bought the small book when my daughter was born in 2001. It has always been a part of our lives. I ordered this for her Easter basket and I was NOT disappointed. Absolutely beautiful! The colors and binding look as if it is for a 17 year old. I wrote an inscription and can't wait to give it to her!
One person found this helpful
on April 4, 2017
I love this book. I read it to my son when he was young. I had to buy the 20th anniversary addition for my grandsons.
3 people found this helpful
on May 27, 2013
I bought this book so I can read it to my babies at bed time. As others reviewers have stated, the book is about a mother or fathers love for their child - it has no limits. There are many things that I love about this book. For instance, the story is absolutely beautiful and the illustrations are really adorable. Also, it is the right length. You will be able to finish it, even with a sleepy baby. The pages are hard, which is great because my babies love to put the book in their mouths while I read it. The book is small. I can hold it with one hand while I hold one of my babies with the other one.
By the way, my husband loves to read this book to our sons too!
I also got the jack in the box, or in this case, the hare in the box, and it is really cute.
2 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2018
I bought this to put in my ‘future baby gifts’ box for folks who will be delivering a baby in the near future. I had purchased this wonderful book for my children when they were younger and they loved it! When I saw this book on Amazon with the little stuffed bunny I just had to get it for a gift!
on January 27, 2008
This is such a wonderful childrens story. It still captivates my 6 year old son and my 3 year old daughter loves it. My son and I frequently get into the "I love you up to the ..... and back" routine.

What you think of this translation kind of depends on how you want to use it. My children are English speakers who we would like to see learn Arabic. Therefor, I appreciate the fact that the English and Arabic text are both on the page. My husband can pick it up and read it to the kids in Arabic, and I can pick up the same book and read it to the kids in English. My son was fascinated the first time my husband read it to him in Arabic because he was familiar with the story and could kind of follow along with the pictures even if he didn't understand every word.

I considered giving this book four stars due to the other reviewers comment about the book being laid out left to right, and it is true that it would be the opposite if it was solely an Arabic story book. Like I said though, it is all about how you want to use it. My children will never be able to read the Arabic text on their own (or by the time they can they will no longer be interested in the book), so the fact that the pages are ordered left to right makes no difference to me.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I already had the "Guess How Much I Love You" baby book, which i love, but I wanted to be able to track more of the daily moments of my daughter's first year so when I found this I was excited! The pictures are very cute and basically tell the story over the months. A big plus is that this calendar gives you 13 months to work with so you can record your child's first birthday. A surprising number of them only give you 12 months to work with which is frustrating because you can't record that last month then. My only complaint is that I wish it had more stickers. It only has one "dr visit" one and everyone knows that even if your kid doesn't get sick you are going to be in getting lots of check-ups. But all in all one of the better calendars that I found.
3 people found this helpful