Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The title is deceptive, as this is not at all a field guide. It's a lighthearted story about Indian immigrants living in Kenya who like to watch birds. A short book, easy to read in one sitting, my wife and I both enjoyed it and have given it as a gift to several birder friends.
on October 27, 2016
Enjoyed the story,enjoyed the information about the birds.The author has a interesting way of writing.Just when you thought you had it figured out it surprised you...
on January 22, 2013
I'm already a fan of McCall Smith's books and if you are, too, and have, as is my case read all his books, you're in luck, there is more joy to be had because this book is certainly for you. The protagonist, Mr. Malik and his friends at the Asadi Club are utterly charmingly depicted. Mr Malik's nemesis isn't made so by being written as a bad, mean or treacherousness man which is such a relief; he is allowed his humanity. My only complaint would be that Ms Rose Mbikwa isn't fully imagined. It almost seems to me as if this book had been aimed at the male audience, though I can't imagine that. So, perhaps it was written for the pleasure of the author, himself. If so, I see nothing wrong with that.

I was afraid that all that bird watching and describing would lose me as I'm not a bird fan in particular. But Drayson brought enough charm and variety to this past time so that it integrated as a welcome part of the book. I can't wait to read his next, Guide to the Beasts of East Africa.
on June 15, 2011
If you too like docile stories that are rich in characters, entertaining and have a happy ending, this one's for you. A beautiful little story, light and delicious not like whipped cream, because that's too light, but not like pecan pie, that's too heavy. More of a chocolate mousse: a bit of rich flavor and delightful to consume. I had just read Franzen's Freedom and this was the perfect book to follow as it doesn't take itself too seriously. Took me 2 days and it was a very happy 2 days knowing that this was waiting for me every time I had a spare moment.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on August 4, 2017
This author should have just made a list of birds found in East Africa and called it done.
on July 26, 2017
One of those books you hate to see end. No violence, no murders, no cloying romance, just a good sweet story.
on December 13, 2008
This is a charming, pleasant entertainment with a few moral lessons some of which are a bit heavy-handed but most of which the reader absorbs without really knowing it. If you like stories set in East Africa, as I do, this will be at least an absorbing diversion. It should be noted that what you will learn only about East African birds and their habitat is rather slight. In fact the whole novel is rather slight, but sweetly so and it is so unassuming that it sems unfair to hold its lightness against it.
9 helpful votes
10 helpful votes
on January 27, 2014
A treat of simplicity, integrity and happily ever after in the midst of this fast moving, exacting world. His writing style is light but stimulating, and he weaves in interesting bird-world material to hold those twitchers who might be attracted by the title. He captures the characters and their East African world through subtle, amusing nuances. Bring on more please, Mr Drayton!
on November 13, 2015
I love this little book. I had found it and read it through the local library and then I ordered it to have the book for myself. Great characters. Fun descriptions of the social scenery and natural life of east Africa.
on February 1, 2017
Quick little read that keeps one hopeful for the main character and also learn a little about the birds of East Africa.