Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on July 25, 2013
Unfortunately, I found from personal experience that the literary agency listed on page 295, Waterside Productions does not, in fact, represent travel, art or architecture books as noted in the 2013 Guide's description. I have spoken directly to the owner who admitted to not having the expertise in these areas. Waterside is more of a "how-to book" agency, to quote the owner. Chuck Sambuchino and his team need to do more thorough fact checking before publishing the next edition. A fair warning to writers: Look up each agency's web site and confirm their areas of representation before approaching them. I was excited when my 2013 Guide arrived from Amazon. Now I see I will spend more time doing agent research online. Wasn't that supposed to be the information promised in the Guide?
on October 1, 2012
Chuck Sambuchino's guide is very informative. His explanations are complete and very easy to understand even for those with minimal experience with publishing. The list of literary agents is extensive. The fact that the author has checked these agents is reassuring to the new author. I do wish he had included more examples for the novice author who does not have many writing accolades as they are just beginning their journey. All in all, this 2013 guide would be an asset for anyone trying to break in to the world of writing and publishing.
on May 13, 2013
What I did not realize about book publishing, esp. coffee table photo books is that taking the images, learning the software, designing the book and having the money to print it is only 10 percent of the job.
90 percent has to go into marketing and that is where these guys come in. It is a very competitive field and these agents get 100's of query letters a week.
More and more people get their media from iPads, Kindle and Nook. Reading and publishing is on the decline. Whatever proposal for a book you have, make sure it is polished (free of poor grammer) and is exactly what you wish to say. Finding the right agent is key, esp. their personalities. Jack London had 200 rejection slips for "Call of the Wild" which he used for wallpaper in his log cabin. One must have a strong constitution for rejection when entering this market!
Good luck.
on August 11, 2013
This book is a must-have for any writer who is looking for agent representation. It has hundreds of agents listed from throughout the world. In addition, it describes what type of material each agent is interested in receiving and specific instructions on how to submit, and whether agents are looking for new, unpublished writers, how they find their clients, and what percentage of their clients are unpublished. This information helps a great deal when focusing your search for an agent. The first third of the book gives specific insight into the industry of book publishing and is valuable reading. The only drawback, which is also a plus, is that to be on top of things, you need to buy the book each year, because of all the new agents that are added -- many of which are looking for new clients.
on May 4, 2013
I'm in the process of marketing a novel, so having this information is essential. My only complaint is that the index in the back that categorizes agents by genre, missed a few in "Science Fiction" because the body of text under the individual references in the main portion of the book used the term "Sci-Fi" or simply "science," when listed within the types of fiction that a particular agency might handle. Initially, that caused me to overlook some possible contacts.The genre listing is otherwise very helpful in paring down the large number of agencies into a manageable group, members of which are likely to be interested in an author's work.
on October 29, 2012
This is a great resource book. The e-version provides up to date information on agents while not having to fork out the expense for a hardcover. With the ability to highlight and take notes, it's better than the physical book. I found an agent in this book open for submissions while the website directed otherwise. She is currently reviewing my manuscript, and I believe it is because I mentioned to her that I got the info from the 2013 Guide to Literary Agents. It showed I was current and hungry.
Pick up a copy...
on September 15, 2012
This 2012 edition of: GUIDE TO LITERARY AGENTS..is most informative and this year more than what I expected, which will assist me in my journey as an author. I did appreciate the section of..AVENUES TO AN AGENT..as it will guide me in my preperation of material when I feel the time is right for submittal. I do realize this book takes a great deal of research and it will save me many hours of time that I can be writing instead of traveling a blind alley! Thank you to Rachelle Gardner and Paul Levine. Great material! Great help! Great Job! Peggy Inez, Author & Storyteller, ISBN: 1453880488, Beyond Belief,(Book 2)(Paperback)
on February 19, 2013
This book has definitely helped me narrow my search in looking for an agent I can partner with to get my novel published. It did that through a "Literary Agents Speciality Index" near the end of the book and very detailed descriptions of literary agencies and the works they represent. The book also marries well with "Writer's Market" and provides additional clues on how to make winning queries. Now all I need is a magic wand to actually find an agent interested in my work. This book comes close, but there is still some work for "me" to do.
on September 19, 2013
I like this book very much. (Of course, I will LOVE it if/when I've been published as a result of the info.) It is well organized and easy to use. BUT I would like it even better if the agents were grouped by category. What I did was copy the category list in the back of the book and then go through and highlight the agents in the category I was interested in. I suspect others have done the same thing. It would be easier if the publisher did it and I'm sure would please everyone. It would make a lot of sense.
on December 26, 2012
This book is great for writers who want to learn how and to whom their writing submissions should be sent. It eliminates a lot of guess work in the submission process.