Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Map|Change

Showing 1-10 of 192 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 209 reviews
on June 3, 2017
Pretty durable, but also pretty large. I use to buy smaller, heavy paper versions which I preferred. Those also had planet information covering several years-which planets were in which constellations (obviously planets move over time). This has no planet info although I guess one could transfer on-line info onto Guide. Marker may even wipe off. Not sure if it has meteor shower dates. Gift for 10 year old. He hasn't seemed that excited and I didn't use it for very long. 3 1/2 stars more accurate and good quality matches reasonable cost.
on May 6, 2016
I bought this to replace my Night Sky planisphere because I found that it was a tad too small and difficult to read at night. The Guide to Stars is bigger, but not by as much as you might think. While it is physically almost twice as large, it extends further to the horizon, which is not that useful IMO. Spica is 85 mm from Polaris on The Night Sky planisphere, and 114mm on the Guide to Stars planisphere, about 33% larger. Personally I like the Night Sky planisphere because it's easier to hold in one hand while you are fumbling with eyepieces and focusers, but if you have any trouble reading fine print, I'd definitely go with the Guide to Stars.
on January 22, 2013
I saw this Guide To The Stars a few years ago and thought is might be big enough for my failing eyesight to resolve. Last year I got my first telescope (I've been using binoculars for years) and and this Planisphere came to mind to guide formal observing and identifying what was framed in the eyepiece! On easy-clean, flexible plastic, its as big as a large pizza at 16 inches and the area outside the sky field is filled with hints, tips and notes under headings such as Spring/Summer and Late Winter tours, Star Magnitudes and the full Greek alphabet in the comprehensive Chart Notes.
On the reverse, a series of notes for 'first-timers', objects (including many Deep Sky Objects), the Moon and Planets a smattering of Mythology, Celestial Tidbits and an Astro Timeline from 4240 BC to 2012 that spirals around the outer edge!
As a (very) mature beginner, the Guide To The Stars is a very useful and comprehensive introductory tool and I really like it.
on December 11, 2013
This is a MUST HAVE tool for the beginning astronomer. It will help you learn the night sky as it assists you in finding the constellations. It's very large making it easy to read and use. Just spin it around until you have the local time pointing at the appropriate date, hold it up while facing north or south and it shows you the current position of the visible constellations. For easier use (of ANY star chart in the dark) be sure to have a flashlight with a red lens like a small maglite mini.
on May 4, 2017
I love this planisphere. There's a lot of information packed into it which is very useful at the telescope or with binocs. I like the size as well. You can lineup your objects and then put the guide on your table in the field and use it to find many objects in one sitting. It works for me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 16, 2009
Constructed of plastic with a 16 inch diameter, this is the biggest and most durable planispheres on the market.

The front of the planisphere is outlined in the periphery by the months with notches for the hour of the evening that you are gazing. Three simple instructions outline what to do. There are various tips on the front based upon the season with constellations denoted by uppercase letters, names of stars in italics, and circled letters indicating objects viewed by binoculars or telescopes.

On the back of the planisphere, there is an introduction to star-gazing, tips on viewing, and various 'landmarks' in the sky. Factoids about the planets and moon are described, also. In the periphery of the planisphere are a timeline of milestones in astronomy. A link to other facts about astronomy are found on [...] whats out tonight . com (no spaces).

This invaluable resource is excellent for any stargazer (novice,beginner or intermediate).

This is a great complement to the Discovery Sky and Land Telescope from the Discovery Store:

[...]
VINE VOICEon December 13, 2016
My goodness, this thing is big! I mean, I knew it was big from the dimensions given but to actually see it in person is still surprising. It's well made, easy to read and packed full of information. I love the tidbits on the back and the star map itself is informative with prominent galaxies, nebulae and clusters marked inside their respective constellations.

I had a hard time deciding between this one and the Chandler Night Sky one. I finally decided on this one because I wanted something that was easy to read. Plus, the fact that you had to flip the Chandler one over to get the southern view was a little off-putting. I know that they created it that way to get rid of the distortion but I thought that distortion wasn't really a big deal. But now that I have the actual planisphere in hand and go outside with it, I can see what people are complaining about. It does make things a little off, but not something you can't mentally compensate for.

So in actually, I would give this 4.5 stars. It's still useful and I love how big it is and how much information it has on it. But I'm thinking of getting the Chandler one now too.
on December 28, 2016
Good size, large enough to be able to read all chart text. Wealth of information on the reverse. Robust and seemingly weather proof. Only slight issue is that both front and rear disks are virtually the same size. This makes it hard to adjust to show the visible portion of the sky on the night you're observing even with warm, un-gloved hands. Using with cold hands in gloves is very difficult. I trimmed the top disk of mine down to a better size with kitchen scissors, worked well, you might like to do the same. Hopefully the next production batch will also be refined in the same way.
on June 20, 2017
Haven't had a chance to use it that much, but it will be so nice to have when the clouds move on and I can spend some time looking at the stars. I've wanted one of the these for a long time and am glad I finally got one. Now I can know what I'm looking at, if I have a question. Just wish it had the planets on it also.
on February 18, 2017
Design is genius. Well made and large enough to read, but too big to carry on dog walks. I dial the day, time, direction, and take image with phone to carry around. Highly recommended!
review image