Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Map|Change

Showing 1-10 of 200 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 217 reviews
on June 3, 2017
Pretty durable, but also pretty large. I use to buy smaller, heavy paper versions which I preferred. Those also had planet information covering several years-which planets were in which constellations (obviously planets move over time). This has no planet info although I guess one could transfer on-line info onto Guide. Marker may even wipe off. Not sure if it has meteor shower dates. Gift for 10 year old. He hasn't seemed that excited and I didn't use it for very long. 3 1/2 stars more accurate and good quality matches reasonable cost.
on December 11, 2013
This is a MUST HAVE tool for the beginning astronomer. It will help you learn the night sky as it assists you in finding the constellations. It's very large making it easy to read and use. Just spin it around until you have the local time pointing at the appropriate date, hold it up while facing north or south and it shows you the current position of the visible constellations. For easier use (of ANY star chart in the dark) be sure to have a flashlight with a red lens like a small maglite mini.
on May 4, 2017
I love this planisphere. There's a lot of information packed into it which is very useful at the telescope or with binocs. I like the size as well. You can lineup your objects and then put the guide on your table in the field and use it to find many objects in one sitting. It works for me.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 16, 2009
Constructed of plastic with a 16 inch diameter, this is the biggest and most durable planispheres on the market.

The front of the planisphere is outlined in the periphery by the months with notches for the hour of the evening that you are gazing. Three simple instructions outline what to do. There are various tips on the front based upon the season with constellations denoted by uppercase letters, names of stars in italics, and circled letters indicating objects viewed by binoculars or telescopes.

On the back of the planisphere, there is an introduction to star-gazing, tips on viewing, and various 'landmarks' in the sky. Factoids about the planets and moon are described, also. In the periphery of the planisphere are a timeline of milestones in astronomy. A link to other facts about astronomy are found on [...] whats out tonight . com (no spaces).

This invaluable resource is excellent for any stargazer (novice,beginner or intermediate).

This is a great complement to the Discovery Sky and Land Telescope from the Discovery Store:

[...]
on December 28, 2016
Good size, large enough to be able to read all chart text. Wealth of information on the reverse. Robust and seemingly weather proof. Only slight issue is that both front and rear disks are virtually the same size. This makes it hard to adjust to show the visible portion of the sky on the night you're observing even with warm, un-gloved hands. Using with cold hands in gloves is very difficult. I trimmed the top disk of mine down to a better size with kitchen scissors, worked well, you might like to do the same. Hopefully the next production batch will also be refined in the same way.
on June 20, 2017
Haven't had a chance to use it that much, but it will be so nice to have when the clouds move on and I can spend some time looking at the stars. I've wanted one of the these for a long time and am glad I finally got one. Now I can know what I'm looking at, if I have a question. Just wish it had the planets on it also.
on February 7, 2011
This review is for the "Guide to the Stars" planispheres. Both have instructions on the front and a legend describing what you see. The ecliptic is explained and spring/summer and late winter tours are suggested.

On the back is a tutorial on viewing in general with hints on preserving night vision and locating stars and constellations. There's a chart of meteor showers giving the time of year and constellation for the major ones and explaining what causes them. There are also celestial tidbits listing the 10 brightest stars, explaining star twinkle and more.

Some binocular and small telescope objects are listed with hints on how to identify them. The larger planisphere lists more of them. The phases of the moon are explained, plus hints on using your hand to approximate distances.

The visible planets are discussed along with suggested telescope power for viewing them.

The large Guide to the Stars is huge, 16 inches across, and easy to read. The front includes the Greek letter designations for many stars. The publisher took advantage of the extra size and included more information and larger print than the smaller version.

The smaller version of Guide to the Stars is 11 inches across and is also easy to read. It has the same tutorial as the larger one.

I had initially bought the The Night Sky 30°-40° (Large; North Latitude) which I found very frustrating to use. Read my review of it for more comments.
on May 17, 2017
I love this concept just wish I was better at remembering the constellations. Very handy. I keep it out by the pool chairs to enjoy the night sky
on April 16, 2013
This is the one to get!

Easy to read. Many details and features. The basic details/facts on the front and the back are a good set of informative facts for beginners.

The only "problem" I have is that it could be a little smaller! (not really that bad).

I have in fact put a finishing nail in my wall and "hung" this by its center ring as kind of "artwork" (my wife wouldn't call it that) that I can take down and actually use. I suppose if you were so "Pinterested" you could make some kind of picture frame with background color/pattern/texture to offset the bold colors and make a nice wall feature which you would actually have a use for.

IMO, this is MUCH better for beginners than the "two-sided" planetspheres. I find those two sided models to be confusing as one is flipping back and forth. I do own one of those too, for what that's worth. I wish, however, that I had bought this one FIRST.
on September 20, 2012
Who puts a piece of tape on the clear part of this product, so when you pull it off, it leaves the tape resedue there to get dirty? Amazon, that's who. The guide itself physically dirty as if it was in the floor. That's annoying.

Fortunately, aside from some dirt, it's in good shape. It's a bit of an adjustment to get used to it. I live in a relatively dark area, but one that has a lot of trees. This is a great tool even to help figure out in a partially blocked sky. I bought it to help me find things with my telescope and binoculars for sky viewing, and I suggest it for anyone. I'm just not sure you should buy it from Amazon as I did unless having it be in need of some windex doesn't annoy you as much as it does me.

UPDATE (9/22/12): I have used this now for a few nights, and am finally getting the hang of it. It took a while to line up the stars with what I was seeing, and Google Sky Maps(GSM) was a big help to confirm what was what. I use this to star hop with my 120mm refractor and my 9x63 binoculars. Once I finally got myself aligned, it became easy to find things like Andromeda. Using this guide, it is MUCH easier to find things in the sky. I does take a while, but it is totally worth the investment. To me, I think it's a good companion to GSM, because GSM can help you put the names to what you are seeing. Once I got confident in what I was seeing, then I used the guide more than GSM. GSM is still fantastic to help you find planets. I was able to find Uranus last night as well, but couldn't find Andromeda Galaxy all that well until I figured this guide out. Now, with the guide, it's easy. It really just takes time to orient to the sky as the map shows it. I am new to astronomy; I've had the scope for 6 months, and the binoculars for a few years.