Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on July 25, 2015
This was a gift for my favorite genealogist. He loved it. He was thrilled by the information. Very helpful.

I purchased based on other reviews. I had no idea if he'd really like this and it's expensive, although I purchased a great used copy (still not cheap.) So *I* was absolutely thrilled to have a win with the surprise gift!

Anyway, great resource for genealogists or historians or novelists who are really trying to "see" and figure out where people were living, especially when they're researching census records and doing detective work to figure out where and why people were in certain places. It's not really a reading book for an armchair historian, however!
on October 15, 2015
4.5 starts. Great option for genealogy research. I have Texas German ancestry that is leaving me mystified why I can not find them. A genealogist recommended this book. She stated to look a county you think they may have resided, and then all counties surrounding that county and census year(s). A great tip. I am going to do that with this book. I am hopeful that it may save me some time and organize my searches.
For the price I wish it was a hardbound book.
on February 13, 2003
I spent a year looking for relatives in the U.S. (plus State) Census records. After awhile, I got stuck because I couldn't find certain relatives. Then, after taking a Genealogy class, this book was recommended by the teacher (who had 30+ years experience). This book shows how each county boundry line changed from one U.S. Census to another beginning in 1790 through 1920, for every county in the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii). This book is an essential key for genealogy research because many relatives never moved but their county of residence may have changed from one census to another because of shifting county lines. Knowing where the county boundry lines were for a particular census can put you on the correct path to locating your relatives in the the county where they were counted. It did for me. This information can also be helpful for State census years, as it gives you a guide to the counties involved with shifting county boundries. With the information in this book, you can more easily find your relatives in the Census and save much time. I hestitated in purchasing it because of the price and there are so many genealogy books out there and I can't afford them all. However, I'm glad I did, because this book has saved me many hours of time and, of course, only you can determine how much your time is worth. As far as I know, this is the only book of its kind.
on September 20, 2016
This book is essential for anyone doing family history research. It shows the county boundary changes through the years as well as new county formation. It also states which county records are missing from each census map. This alone can save you a great deal of time lost searching for records which do not exist.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2015
If you've ever wondered why you can't find someone in the census records, it's a good resource to check and see if County lines changed. It made me realize that I needed a clearer understanding of county formations. My family never moved, but the county lines changed and therefore they were listed on the census in different counties. Great Resource!!!!
on July 18, 2013
If you've got family that goes back to the Revolutionary War, this is an essential aid for tracking, sorting out, and understanding where the families lived. You may discover, that thanks to county formation and changes, the family members that seemed to be in different spots every 10 years never really moved; just the boundaries changed. After several years of using the well-worn library copy, I finally bit the bullet and bought my own copy. Not inexpensive, but worth it.
on October 2, 2014
Study the migration of families? You need this book!! I have several publications that write which counties were formed from each other, but this one is a visual map. It shows the counties as they were, by the 1920 census and goes all the way back to the 1790's. What a time saving, excellent way, to see if your ancestors migrated or their counties were changed.
on March 19, 2017
Received as ordered - no problems
on January 3, 2011
This book clearly illustrates the evolvement of county boundaries withing each state at each census date. Obviously this is more useful for older states with more changes over a longer period of time. It is clearly illustrated with notes about special changes between census dates. If you are using US Census records for your genealogy quests, this is a great tool as often, people were listed in one county which seemingly changed boundaries on the next census making you think they had moved. A bit pricey, but very useful.
on June 13, 2014
good reliable information, maps, all very worth them money, to have information in your hands. The internet is good, but sometimes, it is better to have a real hard copy of something in your hands, and I have used this information to assure clients, about the dates, and county boundaries, and information that was asked in each of the census years.