Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 77 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on October 29, 2010
I have seen the Guiness Book of World Records over the years, and had gone though them while at my family or friend's homes. I must say that with this being my first personal copy, I'm not disappointed. And now I can browse through the records on my own time.

Even though the book is not as thick as the older editions, it's still packed with ALOT of information more than you can believe for a book that's about 1.5 inches thick from cover to cover (hardcover)

The quality of the pages is good and the print quality and layout is not bad either. At the bottom of each page there are records from around the world in small snippets, so when you're done going through the book, you can go though the snippets at the bottom.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and I'm looking forward to the 2012 Edition.
on November 1, 2010
My 9 year old asked for it this as soon as it was released. I bought her the 2010 edition last year for Christmas and the pages are completely worn out from reading it over and over. I have a feeling she will be asking for this every year to come.
on January 5, 2011
As a child, i had a dog-eared copy or two of the classically formatted Guiness book; i.e., black-and-white photos only, carefully indexed and organized. I loved these books and feared, based on the negative reviews, that the new editions would be dumbed down eye candy versions capitulating to negative internet era influences of instant glance gratification philosophy of marketing that has influenced other classic media, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Well, the verdict is in: the new gorgeous full color photo on ever page with photos collaged literally from corner to corner absolutely IS a dumbed down eye candy version, shamelessly capitulating to internet era influences of instant glance gratification philosophy of marketing. HOWEVER, it it STILL a great book, chock full of many and vastly varying records, along with facts relating to those records, and in its ability to be cracked open at any time for any amount of time and immediately provide interesting, shocking, delighting, bewildering, disturbing facts and accomplishments from every corner of the planet covering every element of human existence still stands as both great entertainment value, and provides history, science, politics, sports, and entertainment information along side the records in easily immediately digestible portions, appropriate for a wide range of ages. I bought it for my eight year old son, for instance. As far as the actual contant comparison, it would be interesting is someone were to provide a comparison of a fact or record count comparing the new version to the classic versions of the eighties-nineties.
on October 14, 2010
This is a very pretty book, with lots of pictures; in fact, far too many pictures and photos instead of facts. Its pages look like comic book pages (I almost expected BAM, POW and BOOM to appear). The pages are confusing, distracting and disjointed, and its index is quite incomplete and useless. Just try to look up a specific record, like "the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world." Good luck! Normally, a picture is said to be worth a thousand words, but, with this edition, the opposite is true. Guiness sacrificed content and ease of use for "flash." I prefer the older editions, where you could look up a very specific record, read it, and say "wow." This book tries to say "wow" for you. Very disappointing.
on June 21, 2014
Well, the recipient (co-worker) really thought this book was a fun read. Believe it or not, she had never read any previous Guinness material ever, although she had a familiarity with the nature of the book, i.e., world records of all types/sorts. I highly recommend the latest version/year of this iconic book to anyone who enjoys to read!
on September 16, 2016
I purchased this book because my daughter checked it out at her school library. Well my dogs got ahold of it and chewed it up. The library wanted $30 to replace it. I found this one and it was in amazing condition. It was in better shape then the one my dogs chewed up.
I look forward to this annual update each year. There are a lot of goofy records here, but also some interesting tidbits as well.

This volume begins with "Fire" as a category. Here, we read of the largest gathering of fire breathers ever (269 people got together at Eindhoven in the Netherlands); we see the largest flaming image using candles (the image depicted the logo of the Sandoz company [Pakistan]); most people burned at the stake (133 witches were burned on one day in 1859 near Leipzig, Germany).

Randomly turning pages yields other records:

Oceans and seas--Oldest seawater (the water at the bottom of the 12,000 foot Canada Basin has been unstirred for several thousands of years); the warmest ocean (Indian Ocean); Newest forming ocean (the Afar Depression in Ethiopia).

Insects and arachnids--Largest spider (a male bird-eating spider, with an 11 inch long span--ugh!); largest beetle (a beetle from Africa, coming in at 3.5 ounces [doesn't seem that bad to me]); hardiest beetle (1,547 were living in a bottle stoppered for 12 years).

Human society--Most dangerous country in which to be born (Afghanistan, featuring such negatives as unbelievably high infant mortality rates [257 deaths per 1,000 live births]).

3D cinema--first full-length 3D movies (in 1953, French, Indian, and Japanese 3D movies were released); most expensive 3D movie (A Christmas Carol, released in 2009).

Roller coasters--Fastest (Ring Racer at Nurburgring in Germany at 134.8 mph); Most expensive (Expedition Everest, for $100,000,000); tallest (Kingda Ka at Six Flags Adventure in New Jersey--456 feet high; it6's also the second fastest roller coaster).

Baseball--Most runs batted in a World Series game (Hideo Matsui, 6 for the Yankees in 2009, tying Bobby Richardson); most games played at shortstop (Omar Vizquel, 2681); most postseason wins by a manager (Joe Torre, 84 wins).

Water sports--Largest race (13,755 participants swam the 2009 Midmar Mile in South Africa); Oldest Olympic canoeing medalist (Josefa Idem of Italy at nearly 44 years of age).

Another year, another set of wacko records! As always great fun. . . .
66 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2011
I purchased 2 of these as Christmas gifts for 2 of my 9 yr old grandchildren, a boy and a girl. They were both very excited as soon as they opened the package, and stopped to read some of the pages, even though they had more gifts to open. The pages are beautifully photographed or illustrated...very colorful. Even though this book is recommended for age 12 and above, The 2 9 yr. olds who received this as a gift are very smart in school and read above grade level. It was an excellent choice for both of them!
on January 5, 2011
Got this for my 11 yr. old son for Christmas after he saw it at a local wholesale club. It was a better price on Amazon. The book is loaded with fascinating feats and amazing pictures to back up the stories. He can't put the book down, and my husband and I love it too. This high-interest book is great for those "resistant" readers.
on February 9, 2014
I teach at a public middle school in Maryland, and even some of my most reluctant readers are always opening up this book. It's filled with interesting pictures and facts. I have the 2009 and 2013 editions and they are all just as popular. I'm going to add to my classroom collection as many as I can afford. It makes me so happy to see these kids READING!