Gunnin' For That #1 Spot (Special 2 Disc Set)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
All these kids are "beasts" in their respective orbits around the country, but here they get to test their mettle against other elite players. You learn the back-story on eight specific players, some of whom - like Kevin Love and Michael Beasley - have already jumped to the NBA after a one-year college "career." You also get some perspective on Rucker Park and its iconic status in American basketball.
The movie is not all hype job, though. It touches upon some darker issues in the scholastic hoop frenzy, such as:
* Elite players are scrutinized closely and often can't live just a normal life
* Some prep rating services are glorified cut and paste jobs, more concerned with generating subscription revenue than anything else
* Sneaker companies drilling down as far as promising 5th, 6th and 7th graders to "brand" their shoes and build brand loyalty
* College coaches who text players they have never met three times a day to say, "I love you and can't wait for you to come play here ..."
* The lack of loyalty among some players; to wit, in high school, Michael Beasley attended four different schools in four years.
* Concerns about whether perfecting highlight dunks on Sports Center may eclipse emphasis on other aspects of the game . (I'm not saying team defense is dead, but the final score of the exhibition game is something like 131-128 - judge for yourself.)
If you like hip-hop music and rap, you will also enjoy this movie!
The visual effects made the movie fresh and not monotonous. It was able to hold my attention and kept me wanting more. I feel like the visuals mixed with the music really added a lot to the documentary and made it even more entertaining. I absolutely loved the music all throughout the film.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The disc did not work. I will be attempting to return it and get a replacement. I am not sure if the format is correct.Published on June 17, 2014 by John
If you're a basketball or pop culture fan/follower, then this movie is a winner; if you want a basketball-focused music video... you'll be disappointed! Read morePublished on March 16, 2014 by Amazon Customer
This was a good flick on HS Hoops. I was curious as to why the movie was made on this particular group of guys. However, I love the way Yauch shoots (shot RIP) his movies. Read morePublished on July 18, 2013 by Jason A Volkoff
Great Documentary & Funny to see these kids now are big NBA Stars !! A+++Published on January 28, 2010 by Busy Momma
This movie was pretty cool. I liked how it showcased the backgrounds of several players, showing how hard they work to be as good as they are. Read morePublished on March 16, 2009 by Damian Webster