Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on August 30, 2017
This book is one of the best in describing the existence and survival of a combat veteran in Vietnam. I was a RTO roaming the hills around Dak To, Kontum during the Tet Offinsive, and even though I was Army, life in the bush was the same. I was also wounded and received the Purple Heart.......but unlike some of my "brothers who gave all" I was able to return home.
Mr Clark's account of the miserable life, and the constant fear in attempting to survive, is true to form. It was pure Hell!! Guns Up!... is a must read, especially for the cowards who ran to Canada, protested, and treated the returning soldiers like trash.
Thanks you "brother" for telling your story.
Sgt. Charles (Ed) Arter.......RTO... 62AlphaCharlie
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 15, 2017
This is a great book about Vietnam that I couldn't put down once I got started. It's an amazing story that makes you feel like you were there, too, even though I was 8 when this book took place. This book placed a lump in my throat quite a few times when friends and fellow soldiers were killed, or injured. The action was so great that at times I wondered if this was non-fiction, or fiction. But, apparently it was all true. Anyone that's interested in knowing what really went on in Vietnam that is told from a first hand account I would highly recommend this book. It's very well written and a real page turner.
on August 31, 2017
I really enjoyed reading this book. There was never a dull moment. A little suspense with each new chapter. Very informative about how living the daily life of a soldier in Vietnam went. It was a crummy war (every war is) but everyone should appreciate what all the military went through. They were doing what they were told to do. Not their fault. I also think this book was well written. An easy read.
on September 4, 2017
The moment I started reading this book I could not put it down. This book throws the reader into Vietnam with amazing accounts and situations where young marines fought and died for each other looking out for the men to their left and right. Their stories are needed to help remind those of us that our freedoms and rights are paid for in the blood and lives of men serving their nation but fighting for one another. Everyone should read this book it is a must read.
on December 26, 2013
Guns up! "Arty UP"! Sameo Sameo! Viet Nam "66" & "69"! Author and "Marine Clark" did a great job in telling of his time in country! To the point that I was re-living my tours there. Of course our minds make great "TV" sets! Even the name of the "Ville" "An Hoi"! Our last position was near "Hoi An"! One can tell that the author had to write this book for him to feel better because of his memories. Reading "Guns Up" brought mine to the fore front. It is a story that had to be writen and read to help understand what our youth is living through fighting todays "War's"! It reminds us of the waste that has fallen on our "Country's" youngsters fighting the battles that have been waged since Viet Nam!
on August 9, 2017
This is probably the best book on war and battle scenes I have ever read. We did a real disservice to the the men who came home from Nam. The way these men were treated when they came home was terrible. It was not their fault that the government got them involved in a war we never should have been in. Thanks for a wonderful book.
on September 23, 2017
I was hoping for a accurate day by day accounting in the life of a young Vietnam soldier. This book was way more than that. The 18 mile a day marches slogging through rice paddies, forests full of snakes, leeches and all the accompanying emotions in reaction to horrors, wounded comrades, longing for family from the perspective of a machine gunner. This book helped me to understand a war from a time I was too young to be aware. Very well written.
on August 16, 2017
Excellent book about the Viet Nam War told by a Marine Gunner with a boots on the ground view of the war. This is a truly amazing story about the brave men who gave their all in Viet Nam, told without foul language and highlighting how faith and friendship under fire saw him through the war. I highly recommend it.
on November 11, 2017
First Vietnam account written by a machine gunner. Vividly describes actual field conditions and firefights while telling of the many dangers of the country other than the enemy. He describes snakes, spiders, and the weather which further added to the hellish, primitive conditions they endured daily. I loved it.
on September 5, 2017
I'm also a Marine vet. who was there during this time period,and I just want to say that the descriptions and recollections in this book are the real deal. He has captured the crazy mixed up way that it messed up who you thought you were as a person,and also how you knew then,and know now that some part of you is buried there in that far off land.