Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on February 2, 2017
I'm one of those people whose mom loved Gunsmoke. My parents both emigrated to the US from Germany, and they adored stories of the American West in the 1800's. I had no idea, but apparently, the theme of settling the American WEst was a HUGE theme in Germany in the first half of the 20th century. There was an author named Karl Mai, who remains the nest selling author to this day in the history of German language publishing. So when my mom came to live with me in 2009, I made sure to stock up on all the Westerns she loved: Wagon Train, Maverick, Gunsmoke, Bat Masterson, bunches more. But Gunsmoke and Big Valley were her favorites.

and why?

Because beyond being setin the West of the 1800's, they were morality plays. They were sometimes profound, and my personal favorite episode is entitled Coventry, about the power of social acceptance. This is an amaing theme that is recurrent in Gunsmoke.

When I think of the Gunsmoke episodes I saw, the best ones aired between 1960 and 1964, I think. Seasons 6-9. he acting was outstanding, but the writing was beautiful. Kathleen Hite, a pioneering woman writer of the era, wrote the majority of those episodes. They are historically surprisingly accurate and informative and really profound.

So I say, buy this piece of American television. It is excellent Modern television can't come close, and we are ALL the poorer for it.
on August 19, 2016
Gunsmoke provides western-lovers with a family-friendly great show that emphasizes character, law & order, and good plain common sense. This half-season, as well as all previous episodes, provide a breath of fresh air in an age when many of the most entertaining movies have drifted from such character-building values. It is amazing to me that the writers were successful in making the plot and storyline consistently excellent and among the best of the classic Westerns from season to season for so many consecutive seasons. I cannot think of one episode to date that felt weak or that let me down.

Definitely a great addition for the video library of anyone who likes the Western genre, or who likes solid character and good role models in the primary characters, and a strengthening of the ideas of justice, fair play, the rule of law, and even compassion and wisdom throughout.
on May 26, 2014
The final seventeen hour-long episodes of season seven (1962) of "Gunsmoke" continued the remarkably high standard of this long running, outstanding western drama series. Most of the episodes were in the sure hands of regulars Harry Harris Jr. and Andrew V. Laglen; one exception is "He Learned About Women" directed by veteran feature film helmer Tay Garnett. As in previous seasons the writers were mainly the ever reliable John Meston and Kathleen Hite. Lots of really good female roles in this batch and some of the fine actresses featured include Joan Hackett, Barbara Luna, Bethel Leslie, Sue Ane Langdon, Dianne Foster and Ellen McRae (later known as Ellen Burstyn). Among the men, watch out for Edgar Buchanan, Claude Akins, Jeremy Slate, John Kerr, Andrew Prine, George Kennedy, Andy Clyde, Michael Parks, Arch Johnson and Conrad Nagel.
As always, faultless production values complimented the fine writing and acting in this wonderful series and we haven't even mentioned the brilliant ensemble of regulars - James Arness, Dennis Weaver, Amanda Blake and Milburn Stone. There have been many great western series but none ever topped "Gunsmoke" for high quality consistency.
on February 7, 2013
I have the whole collection (so far) and can't wait for each of the new ones to come out. Gunsmoke is one of those series that you never get tired of watching them over and over. The transfer copies are great with the sound and picture. (First season is not as good as the others due to the year it started but that is the film itself and not the transfer.) My children and grandchildren enjoy watching them as much as I do showing that the series just didn't get outdated like most due. If you enjoy westerns you have to own this series. Very happy myself
on February 13, 2013
My wife and I love to watch Gunsmoke but we don't
understand why after 20yrs run of Gunsmoke that
there are just now 7 seasons released. At this rate
I won't be able to own and watch all of Gunsmoke. I
will be deceased long before they all get released.
Why, tell me why can't we get more Gunsmoke?
Robert
robertlvsenior72@yahoo.com
on April 6, 2014
I purchased this DVD set for a single episode -- "Chester's Indian" -- that featured then 19-year old actress Jena Engstrom in the second of her two appearances on the Gunsmoke TV series. Her first appeances was earlier that year as the Milly in the episode of that name that appears in the volume 1 of season 7 DVD set. Jena Engstrom is a forgotten actress today. I am her age but did not discover her work until a couple of years ago when I saw her in one of her three appearances on the Have Gun - Will Travel TV series. Not everything she appeared in was good, but she was, and the two Gunsmoke episodes gave her two of her best roles in the 37 shows she did between 1961 and 1964 before giving up acting because of a nervous breakdown (to use the language of the newspaper artices of the time). What I appreciated about Jena Engstrom was that each character was unique and that a character in one episode is unlike a character in another. A thing I like about the Gunsmoke series is that the stories were character-driven and the series stars did not always have to be the main character in each episode. I don't have a complaint about the series but in viewing them from today's vantage point it seems like Gunsmoke's Dodge City existed in some type of time warp -- the 20-years of episodes all took place in about 1872 while the characters Matt and Kitty and Doc aged 20 years.
on March 17, 2017
No problems. Great packaging and quality.
on March 22, 2017