Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 873 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 938 reviews
on March 24, 2015
62 days, 9 uses! That's all it took for this umbrella's shaft to crack at the spring mechanism and yield it unusable. To its credit, the umbrella looks good and functioned well, but the craftsmanship I expected from this item was simply not there. Researching umbrellas and coming upon the great reviews of this umbrella, I had expected a quality product that would last at least a few seasons. That didn't happen.

When I contacted the company for a solution, they offered to fix it if I 1) sent the umbrella back at my expense which, being an odd shape is nearly half the cost of the umbrella itself AND 2) enclose a check for $10 to get it fixed. That does not strike me as stellar customer-centric service.
review image
44 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2012
I bought this umbrella over a year ago from Amazon. I live in Chicago and needed an umbrella that won't break in the strong winds we get in this city, and this umbrella has done well as far as that's concerned. The canopy is strong and provides plenty of cover for one person, decent amount of cover for two. It holds up well in stiff winds.

However, the handle has started cracking on the surface. The handle is advertised as "hardwood", but it looks like it is made of a wooden core with some kind of cheap plaster layer on the outside, stained and lacquered to look like wood. On my umbrella the handle has started chipping and coming off in powdery chunks, and it looks like it's only going to get worse. I've put up a picture in the product photos. I really want to like this umbrella but this poor worksmanship in the handle is awful.
on December 24, 2014
After less than year and probably only used it once a month. One of the seams that hold the elastic shock cord broke. Could not find any information on their website about a warranty. Guess they never said anything about the umbrellas having strong seams. Umbrella is too expensive to only last 1 year...
on February 20, 2016
I've yet to try this umbrella in the rain, but I do have a few comments on it already. It does feel nice and sturdy, good weight in hand. There is one glaring issue. This umbrella is NOT 48-inches in diameter. If geometry class served me correctly (it has been a while), the diameter is the measurement from one point on on a circle to the direct opposite side of the circle. I noticed that this umbrella is MUCH smaller than my previous golf umbrella that, when measured was about 58 inches across. This 48 inches is measured if you were to completely flatten out the umbrella. Otherwise, from side to side, while open, this umbrella is ~39 inches across. It's OK sized, but as a person who walks around the rainy NW with a backpack, I need something just a HAIR bigger.
on July 23, 2015
I ordered this umbrella a few months ago on back-order and was excited for it to arrive--I watched the videos and thought this product would be great for my commute. To my dismay when the umbrella arrived, I opened the triangular package (no padding or other protective measures, which others may have commented on already) and opened up the umbrella to find the beginnings of a crack on the fiberglass shaft.

To be fair, I asked for a re-shipment and received the next in two day's time. However, the second was no better--actually, the next umbrella was exactly the same, with the same chip in the fiberglass. Perhaps every umbrella is like this, but for me at least, this is unacceptable given the price I'm paying. Needless to say I've returned them both.

My main worry was that the umbrella's shaft would eventually crack fully with use, which is what I saw later in a two-star review by "The Allen" on Mar 24, 2015. Based on my testing, the plastic piece that locks into place upon closing the umbrella slides right over this chip, which has a small metal piece protruding from the shaft. After only a few test opens/closes, I could hear the fiberglass very slowly chipping away, which, like I said before, was unacceptable for me.

Perhaps it was a bad batch, but given my experience (and what I've heard from others in the same boat) I wouldn't buy from this company again. I don't normally write reviews at all, but this experience was so bad that I wanted to warn others.
review image review image
I bought a black Gustbuster umbrella in 2007. I still have that same umbrella now in 2016. That's nine years. Imagine going nine years without losing an umbrella!

— QUALITY —
While this umbrella has endured these past nine years, there are a couple of things from my experience that you should know about it. One, when you pop the umbrella opens there is a mechanism near the top that keeps it open. This mechanism works most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't lock into place and your umbrella top goes bouncing up and down until it randomly locks into place. I hope they have fixed this in the nine years since I bought it. Second, the button that unlocks the umbrella, on the shaft right above the curved handle, wore down over time and broke off, affecting the structural stability of the fiberglass shaft slightly [see photos]. This means that the umbrella will open automatically when you un-Velcro it, and when you close it it takes a little effort to hold it in place while you put the two Velcro straps back on. Minus a star for these two issues, but these two things don't affect the functionality of the umbrella, much.

Besides those two mentioned points, the umbrella works fine, and its condition still looks like the day I got it. The fabric looks the same, no seams have come undone, it looks great. The wooden handle looks weathered but is still as strong as ever. The umbrella tip end has worn down over the years from being dragged on the ground, but that has no effect on its use.

— WIND RESISTANCE —
Gustbuster's wind resistance was the primary reason I bought one. I saw their video testing this umbrella to 55+ mph winds and that impressed me. Their tear drop shaped vents and two layered top construction keeps wind resistance to a minimum. Wind blows and flows right through the holes. During a few extra windy days this umbrella did invert, and didn't break apart. It reverted back to its normal shape like nothing ever happened. Like a boss.

— FUTURE IMPROVEMENTS —
As an Industrial Designer, here's my two cents as to how to improve future models: One, fix the mechanism that keeps the top in place so it works at all times. Two, use better materials for the button and shaft that opens the umbrella up, or maybe use different mechanics. Three, maybe use a waterproof material for the fabric (website says it's waterproof, but maybe they added that later since the time I bought it); that way it will add another selling point: being wind and water resistant.

— HOW NOT TO LOSE AN UMBRELLA —
Honestly, I don't know how I managed not to lose this umbrella this entire time. However, one of my tricks whenever I take this umbrella out was constantly thinking to myself, "this is an expensive umbrella, don't lose it!", or, "you're carrying $40 around, don't lose it!" And thus, that's how I prevent myself from forgetting about it. There were a few close calls of me nearly forgetting it somewhere, but this is still with me.

— WARRANTY —
Gustbuster offers a "Limited Lifetime Warranty". If something happens to your umbrella, you mail it back with a $10 check, and they will send you a new or repaired one. Considering it probably cost $10 to ship it back, the total will likely cost you $20. A new umbrella cost $40. Whether that's worth it is up to you.

This is a quality umbrella—with the exception of the top portion that locks it in place when you close it, and the button on the shaft to open it. I will continue to use it, and should it eventually fall apart and be irreparable, then I'll probably end up buying another Gustbuster to replace it. Recommended.

*** NOTE ***
I noticed that this umbrella now has a lot of color options. Check Gustbuster's website for the official colors available for each model. I have a feeling some of the colors are third party manufacturers and sellers trying to cash in on Gustbuster's name. Buy it from Amazon as the seller, or from a reputable source.
on December 6, 2016
I purchased my first Gustbuster Classic in 2007. It lasted me over 9 years. Two months ago, I purchased 2 new Gustbuster Classic umbrellas. I've only used one of them a handful of times, but one of the support beams has already broken. Given how high quality my previous Gustbuster was, I was hopeful that the manufacturer would stand behind their product and either issue me a refund or send me a new umbrella given that I am outside of my Amazon return window. The only option they would give me is to pay to have it shipped back to them along with a $10 check to pay for return shipping on either a repaired (if they determined it could be repaired) or a new umbrella. I bought my Gustbusters on special, one for about $11 and one for about $13. No way was I going to pay $20 for this. As of the time I'm writing this, a new one is $30.11. Even at that price, paying $20 just to have it fixed doesn't make much sense to me. I hope the other Gustbuster I purchased does not also break so easily. I will try to update my review once I see whether that one lasts. Fortunately, Amazon made an exception and is allowing me to return the Gustbuster that broke outside of the normal return window for a full refund.
on December 8, 2015
CAUTION: ACTUAL DIAMETER OF OPEN CANOPY IS 40", NOT 48"

Substantial umbrella with a quality handle and aggressive, but manageable, opening action.

Why only four stars? Perhaps I'm a naive umbrella purchaser, but when the listing says 48", I imagined the open diameter of the canopy would be 48". This is not the case. 48" is the arc length of the canopy. The actual dimension across the bottom of the canopy when open is about 40", thus the umbrella is satisfactory to protect one person, but not really two.

Quality of build is excellent.

DOCKING TWO STARS: Originally gave three stars. Umbrella opening trigger fell out within two months of purchase. Umbrella was great when it was intact, but disappointed to learn from "Evan" at Gustbuster that I need to shell out $10 for "shipping" (and pay return shipping myself-- so gonna cost me $20 to return it). So, nice umbrella that broke too quickly and pretty deceptive "Lifetime Guarantee" when you are hit up for the better part of the price of a new one to receive a repair or replacement.

CAUTION: ACTUAL DIAMETER OF OPEN CANOPY IS 40", NOT 48"

Quality of build is excellent.

If you are unhappy, as I am, with the deceptive "lifetime guarantee" that costs you at least $20 to use, please drop a line to this fellow, politely expressing your displeasure and encouraging him to spearhead revision of Gustbuster's customer service and advertising policies.

Evan Wagner
631.391.9000 (phone)
631.777.4320 (fax)
[...]
on April 16, 2017
I had to wait for high winds and rain to give this umbrella a work out. This product is 6 stars in my book. It never flinches when it comes to wind. The 48" size was smaller than I thought, but that proved to be a good thing. In high wind this thing becomes a sail. I was in a 40mph wind and I had to position the thing so I did not end up flying off the ground like Mary Poppins. This product is great as a walking stick as well. James Bond would likely find it useful as a personal safety weapon as well.

Over the years I bought $10 big umbrellas only to have them turn inside out in high wind. This thing is well worth the money.
on August 5, 2016
Ithe picture is mis leading. They replaced some internal parts with plastic. The first one I purchased many years ago had those internal components made of metal. The one I just purchased is cheap plastic that did not last a year!!!! But the picture they have on this one is the former model. The warranty says lifetime but you have to pay a little more than the half to have it fixed and be shipped back.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.