- Brand Name: Monsoon
- Model Number: 052507HT
- Hardware Platform: PC
HAVA Titanium HD TV Device with Wi-Fi
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Lets you wirelessly stream television content via your home network and watch from anywhere with a broadband internet connection
- Automatically adjusts video encoding for smooth video, no matter the network activity
- Functions as a PVR, letting you record, pause, and rewind live television
- Two USB ports allows you to add an external hard drive and upgrade the wireless capability from 802.11g to 802.11n
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
What I don't like about the Slingbox Pro is that they nickel and dime you to death for add ons. Want wireless? You'll have to pay for that. Want to actually use the high definition capabilities of the "HD Pro" Slingbox? That'll cost you another $50 for a proprietary dongle. Want to watch your Slingbox on a cell phone? That also extra.
The HAVA includes all those options in the package AND it's cheaper to boot. In addition, the HAVA offers capabilities not available on the Slingbox, namely the ability to stream to up to three devices simultaneously (Slingbox only streams to one device at a time) and the ability to record to an attached hard drive (option), to act as a low budget DVR (I didn't test this). So far, so great. But the question is: How well does it work.
The answer is, mostly, very well. Setup is not quite as slick as for the Slingbox (which is incredibly easy), but I found it straightforward and not particularly time consuming. Once setup (using their setup program), and having connected my Tivo Series 3 high definition box, I was ready to see how it worked in the field. The first test was using a PC elsewhere in my home. The connection there is very strong, and not unexpectedly, given the good bitrate, the picture was excellent. (Note that although this is marketed as "high definition" it's actualy the low definition version of high definition, 720 x 480--a limitation of wireless among other things). The picture was strong and constant--no stuttering or other snags.Read more ›
- You want good quality streaming video
- You want to watch this from a Windows PC.
- You want to watch this from a Windows mobile device or one of the other supported mobile phones.
- You have a wired LAN.
- You run your TV signal through a box of some sort (even a vcr works).
- You don't mind doing some cable re-wiring on your home theater.
Buy WITH CAUTION IF:
- You want wireless at home, but you have a lot of wireless interference on your current network.
DON'T Buy IF:
- You want to watch this from a Mac
- You want to watch this from an unsupported phone (such as a Blackberry or iPhone).
- You are expecting to be able to run a COAX signal to the HAVA.
- You want HDMI input and output.
- You are expecting it to be more or less cable free.
- You want to run a WIFI connection other than 802.11g.
- If you want to use a mobile phone, check the HAVA website for support for your phone before buying.
- Don't install the software using the disk included. Go straight to the HAVA web site and get the latest software. If you don't you'll end up doing it anyway.
Now for some background information.
I really didn't know what to expect in terms of the actual device and the setup. I was left both pleasantly surprised and frustrated.
To start with, the packaging is surprisingly simple. All the cables (except HDMI) are included and are clearly labeled in individual packages. The device itself is quite small and lightweight.Read more ›
Both the Hava and Slingbox are easy to connect to your TV, DVR (like TiVo), cable or satellite box, but the Slingbox Pro offers three inputs. You can connect your Slingbox to your cable box or satellite box, your DVD player and your DVR at the same time. Both work with HD. The newer version of the Slingbox Pro (not tested) has a digital off-air tuner to work with a digital signal received through an antennae. Hava comes with a Wi-Fi dongle. The Slingbox Pro doesn't, but the company offers products like the SlingLink Media Ethernet Connection Bridge or the Slinglink Turbo Enet Connection Bridge for an additional price. Still, when it comes to input options, the Slingbox Pro is easily the winner.
Both the Hava and the Slingbox are easily set up on your computer with a little help from customer service. Both offer excellent customer service, and--at the time of this review--both let you talk with native English speakers, not a small thing in this day and age when most companies seem to hire customer service employees with impossible to understand accents. Slingbox customer service can take over your computer if needed to make installation easy and pain-free. Hava's device is so easy to connect, their customer service can simply walk you through it. Both let you download the latest software easily. Both are constantly updating their software and offering new features. For example, at the time of this writing, Slingbox says it will soon allow you to watch many popular TV shows directly from their website. Round two is clearly a tie.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is perfect for what we use it for. My husband is very happy with his purchase.Published 14 months ago by Susan W.
I had been a Slingbox user for years. When my Slingbox Classic stopped working, I upgraded to, I believe, the Slingbox Solo. Read more
Had to send it back because of the limited range of the wireless transmitter. Product information should highlight the range of the Hava to avoid unnecessary purchases and... Read morePublished on May 16, 2010 by Charles Balch
I have used the SlingBox and Monsoon Titanium HD to view TV over the internet. While both have pros and cons; this review es focus on the Monsoon. Read morePublished on April 26, 2010 by Just a user...
I was excited about this product because it has so many cool features, recording.
I started the install and got an error right away, cannot install. Read more
Bought this product about a month ago, prior to an extended business trip. The only reason I bought it over the Slingbox was price. Read morePublished on April 21, 2010 by Amazon Customer
1. Additional features not available with SLINGBOX.
2. Allows streaming to multiple computers (all must watch the same show)
3. Read more
This is a pretty awesome technology. The setup was not trouble-free, just as I've read in other reviews. Read morePublished on February 10, 2010 by Jeffrey C. Kleiman
First and foremost, the technical support is not very helpful. I understand you deal with incompetent people all day but if you dont like your job, you need to find something else... Read morePublished on December 28, 2009 by Chase Johnson