Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 253 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 260 reviews
on December 10, 2012
Got this to fill up to free shipping. Works great on all the chickens I tie up, which is about 2 a year and a couple other trussing jobs I use it for. At this rate, the ball will likely last well into the next decade. Does not burn, even with the oven blazing at 450 for an hour or so.

Rather than buying some expensive twine keeper, I just inverted a small terra cotta flower pot with a hole in the bottom on top of the ball. This has a convenient dispensing hole for the twine and is heavy enough to keep the ball secured. In theory, the clay might also absorb ambient humidity to keep the twine from getting moldy as well.
on July 4, 2012
Had looked for this locally, price at grocery and hardware store was ridiculously high for amount of twine. This ball has enough twine to last nearly a lifetime for a great price. I use it regularly for trussing chicken and sizing roasts to put on spit roaster. Twine holds up well, does not burn off. I used an empty plastic container from a bird supply store in which a large block of suet came in to house the twine and keep it clean. Punched a hole in the top and thread twine out through hole then cut off what I need. Keeps raw chicken gunk away from the ball.
If you look for twine in the grocery store, it's either missing or you can be mixed up and get a polyester twine that isn't butcher's twine. This happened to me--picked a small skein off the shelf in the hardware section of the store and it was not cotton, it was plastic. Needless to say, you can't use that on a roast. You need either linen or cotton. This ball of twine unrolls from the center and is useful for trussing up roast chicken, making rolled roasts or even tying up bags of cheesecloth or bouquet garni herb bundles.

If you don't know how to truss a chicken, you can view a video on the web by Michael Ruhlman. He gives a good method and the reason for trussing; holding the legs and wings near the body keeps the breast moist and prevents the air from drying and cooking the legs faster than the rest of the chicken.
VINE VOICEon March 10, 2011
I went to just about every grocery and drug store I could think of looking for string. Why does this once common household item no longer exist? When I finally found it on Amazon I was elated. String at last! This is the same cotton string your mom had in her junk drawer oh so many years ago. Good and strong. I used it to lengthen the pull sting on a closet light. It was perfect for this. Get some and stick it in your junk drawer.
on April 6, 2017
I was hesitant to use this on the grill. The flames did not break through the rope. Turned out great and kept everything in place. The delivery driver even brought my trash can up to my house from the end of my driveway. Five stars!
review image
on May 20, 2015
My wife, not realizing how valuable good butcher's twine is to a meat cooker like me, used some to tie up a small bundle of Wysteria to hang on the wall. I let this pass, because I love her dearly.

But then, as she was about to put my beloved twine back in the drawer where it belongs, she began to dangle it above the cat's head. I immediately sprang into action: You do ~not~ mess with a man's butcher's twine! This twine is for wrapping roasts or Boston butts to put in the smoker; not for entertaining a spoiled cat.

I would never leave my lovely wife over a $6 ball of twine, but she certainly knows better than doing that -- at least in front of me.
on January 1, 2014
Holiday parties got you down? This sturdy twine can restrain even the drunkest of extended family members at the annual gatherings. This static-free butchers' twine is enormously effective and guaranteed to hold up to 200lbs of meat. Enjoy.
on July 6, 2016
It's lightweight twine that has a tendency to break up into its individual strands too easily. Not butcher's twine as I know it.
on December 27, 2012
I needed cotton twine to tie up twigs and branches for yard waste collection, since nylon twine doesn't decompose. This stuff works perfectly, and is actually much easier to tie tightly than the nylon stuff (the nylon is slippery and knots slip apart too easily). The price is on the high side for a ball of twine, but after all the searching I've done, it's worth it to me. For some reason I couldn't find cotton twine in any of the big home improvement stores.
on March 8, 2013
370 feet of twine to be exact. It will be part of my estate..."I hereby give and bequeath to my sons the balance of my ball of twine, to be shared equally between them."

Just plain, sturdy, good, old-fashioned twine. Don't need it often but in the kitchen and around the home, when you need some...370 feet in fact.