Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on August 7, 2016
I love this calculator! I also have the regular HP 12C (gold), but I'm taking a Finance course final in 2 weeks, and I heard the platinum was a lot faster. Before ordering, I read all the negative reviews so I was a little wary. I also saw that most of those negative reviews were posted a very LONG time ago - the first one listed, "BADDER," was posted in 2004! When I sorted by Most Recent, MOST of the reviews were 5 stars!
(Amazon, how does it benefit anyone to list outdated, negative reviews at the top?)

Anyway... on to my very positive purchasing experience. Shipping was very fast! I ordered it yesterday afternoon and I received it today, less than 24 hours after placing my order (Yay, Prime!). And, I am VERY HAPPY with my new 12C platinum! I received a CD with the User's Guide (pdf you can download from CD), a Quick Start guide (paper copy), and a sturdy, leather-looking case. The new case has a plastic window in the front for a business card or some form of ID to show it's yours. Many features are the same as the 12C I already have, but I'm going through the Users guide and working the problems and learn about new features, and everything is working great! It's very fast, no flashing 'Running' yet. And, the colors on the keys are brighter, easier to see, helping you to work faster. And, there is a GOOD tactile feel when pushing the keys, it is better than my original 12C. I am very happy with my purchase!

I recommend looking at the date of the review whenever you are evaluating products or services (wherever that is). 10- and 12- year old reviews of anything are generally worthless. And, for electronics, the quality problems that can be present in a newly released products will eventually get resolved or the product will fail. From the reviews, it seems this product was released around 2003/4, and it is still being sold today. Twelve years! And, now it's less than $100, it's a good deal. I think I paid nearly $400 for my HP 12C back around 2004.
on May 25, 2016
The classic 12C, slightly improved upon.

The main difference people will notice between this and a standard 12C is that it has a "backspace" key, and a nice platinum metal finish.

I don't use the backspace key much, but the platinum finish sets it apart so that my 12C doesn't get mixed up with someone else's. (work in a finance field, and 12C's are everywhere and people will accidently take yours)
on December 18, 2016
Very difficult calculator to use. Unfortunately it is one of the few allowed on various financial certification exams. Once you are trained, there is a lot you can do with this, but the average person will not be able to pick it up and use. For example, to add 2+2, it is not as simple as pressing 2 + 2 =.... you must enter the numbers into memory and THEN pres the + button.
on March 10, 2017
Needed for a college finance class. Makes life so much easier. Prefer the 12CP over the 12C due to the RPN and ALG functions. The 12C is more complicated to use as a normal calculator because you can not do 1+1=. 12C only has RPN mode and numbers have to be 'entered' before the mathematical functions. The 12C P can switch form RPN to ALG and use as a normal calculator without having to 'enter' the numbers first. If this confuses you I recommend looking up the manual for a better explanation on this. Just know 12C P is easier.
on August 30, 2016
I've been using HP12C calculators for decades and now have a 12C app on my phone, but with my last 12C dying from drowning I needed a new one for public exams as I updated my financial certifications. As expected the new 12C is faster, feel sturdier and is as great to use as ever. I fail to comprehend why people aren't crying out for more RPN calculators, it is such a logical way to solve mathematical problems.
on March 14, 2016
I haven't had any problems, at all, with this calculator. It is wonderful. The buttons work well, a lot of simple functions (such as changing the decimal placement as easy as pushing the orange button and the number for the the number of places you want). I use it for all of my classes that require calculations.
on May 11, 2017
I somehow lost my HP 12C that I had for over 30 years, so finally after getting sick and tired of using my stupid calculator on my phone I decided to buy a new one. I love this calculator and it was delivered fast and has a case! I lost my case 29 years ago!
on March 11, 2017
My first HP calculator helped me in college in the 1940's. In the 1960's I replaced it with a 12C which I just replaced because I ran over it with my wheelchair. I'm very happy to have a replacement.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2017
The calculator arrived earlier than expected, good. It was packaged as a new calculator, good. The problem is I have to push really hard on the 4 key, much harder than any of the other keys, to get the 4 key to register. I have never had this problem with any other HP products, and I have HP computers, plotters, printers and other calculators. I can live with the problem, but I have to be alert.

Steve Ross
on May 21, 2004
I bought my first HP 12C back in 85 as a finance student and I haven't been able to use a different calculator since. Over the years I've actually amassed a few more 12C's which I've kept at the office, home, etc.
When this new version came out I was really excited to try it out even if I had absolutely no reason to do so by virtue of my half a dozen or so 12C's. I had to try it, however and I ordered it last week. For some reason I didn't read any of the reviews (bad call) and boy did I pay for it!
The Platinum 12C is truly a piece of junk. More reminiscent of old Texas instrument calculators than of real 12Cs. Starting with the keys, you immediately get the sense of holding a much more cheaply made calculator. The keys jiggle and they actually make a cheap plastic noise when you press them (whereas the old 12C keys were solid and the way they pressed into the body of the computer made any HP calculator a pleasure to work with), the feet are uneven so when you press the keys the machine actually moves from side to side even on a flat surface. The display is a disaster - when you press lightly on it you get a ghost image that lasts for a few seconds.
I must admit that I like the new look - sharp, modern, up to date. But the much cheaper manufacturing of this calculator make the decision easy. Stick with the old 12C. You'll be sadly disappointed if you buy this calculator.
I'm truly amazed that HP would actually launch this piece of junk knowing that this calculator has probably enjoyed a more loyal following than any other product in their line. Why would they sacrifice years of loyalty to save a few pennies. I don't know - maybe Carly is reading these reviews and will let us all know.