Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 135 reviews
on March 21, 2014
This laptop had all the specs I was looking for to be able to have a portable design business. It processes my graphics files with no problem. I started with a lower price range than I wanted so I was worried about being able to find enough power with a decent screen size, but this price for all the great specs cannot be beat.

The battery life is great for a laptop this size. With heavy, constant use it lasts a good 3 hours and change. When it's in lighter use, it's lasts over 4 hours. Screen size and resolution is great. Sound is great, too.

The common complaint I've heard is with Windows 8 and I was a little worried about it. I heard it was easier to use with a touchscreen. So, I went ahead and got the touchscreen, and I've got to say I really love Windows 8. You have to actually learn how it works so you aren't surprised when a certain screen pops up because you touched your touchpad in a certain way. Once I learned how it works, it became very intuitive and fluid to use. Plus, you can still have your desktop like Windows 7 and use that pretty much exclusively if you really want.

The size is a bit to get used to, but I think that's just because I've never had a laptop bigger than 14" before! It really doesn't feel bulky at all, just big. I like it and call it "The Beast".

Also, I'd have to say the hardest thing to get used to is the touch pad. Clicking and dragging in Illustrator was quite difficult at first. I've had it for almost 2 weeks and I'm just now feeling comfortable with it. That being said, a little learning curve in a few areas isn't so bad!

I would recommend this laptop to anyone who's looking for these specs for decent price. And go for the touchscreen. The jump in price isn't that much and it's completely worth it! Hope this helps anyone on the hunt for a good laptop :)
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2014
I do not brag on computers often. They are a work tool.... However, this notebook is working perfectly and as soon as I get used to windows 8, I will be totally happy...
on January 9, 2017
I purchased this computer at the end of March 2013. Performance wise it has been excellent but, unfortunately, yesterday it seems to have bitten the dust. It will turn on but will not boot up. I suspect after doing some Googling, there was a fan malfunction which burnt up the CPU. The fan malfunction apparently was caused by the left hinge breaking and causing a separation between the top and bottom of the case.

As a few others have commented, the HP Discussion Forum has many, many posts about the apparent hinge defect. I had noticed several months ago there was a minor opening in the case on the left side but the computer would still open & close with no problem so I really didn't think much about it. A few days ago my husband mentioned to me that the computer seemed to be making more noise than usual which I had noticed as well and it seemed to be hotter than normal even though I always have it on a stand so air can circulate.

When it "croaked" I opened it up to remove the hard drive so I can hopefully retrieve my files since my last backup. That's when I began to notice several pieces of broken black plastic falling out of the computer. It wasn't until I started my Google search that I realized those bits of plastic were from the faulty hinge ... many others reported the same thing.

This computer has been handled with "kid gloves", never dropped and used only by me so it has not been subjected to any abuse. I plan to contact HP tomorrow although I don't really expect any solution that doesn't involve me paying them to repair the defect. Others have had HP supposedly repair the faulty hinge only to have it break again so I'm not holding out much hope my computer can be salvaged.
on September 4, 2016
Had/have this computer for one year and I had to purchase another...actually I'm writing his from a loner. The computer crashed about 2 weeks ago…just 2 months out side of the warranty...so convenient. But is reality I’m not writing about that, as it was some short of short that may be a manufacturing error or the result of the computer being a lemon. The reason I am disappointed with HP and the PC is the group of issues I’ve had. I had to replace the battery after 7 months because it stopped working and I couldn't start my computer without it being plugged in and that kind of eliminates the use of a laptop. In addition to that the computer always ran slow, even if I was just running Microsoft suit software, let alone when I was running cad and others running. Also, it would freeze on log in, ALL THE TIME, and I would lose anything open. This means I had to get use to never leaving my computer without saving everything, even for a quick meeting. In addition it was like a jet engine loud because the fan was always running full plast because the computer was always running at 120%...for no reason (12gb’s??). I'm not a computer genius but it came out of the box acting like this and when it finally crashed 2 weeks ago it was a blessing in disguise because I didn't have time to change computers but I was losing too much time every day waiting for it to restart and redoing work from improper shutdowns.
In general I was very disappointed with the computers speed, functionality and overall performance. I'm moving away from HP as I was will Dell before and I never had an issue like this.
on March 18, 2014
This computer has it all, from the 17 inch touch screen, to the i7 intel processor, this laptop won't let you down. I checked on Hp and on Ebay for a comparable laptop and on both sites they were overpriced. Amazon has them priced just right at a price that can't be beat for what you get. Not only is this computer fully loaded, but it also looks fantastic as well. In my opinion they look a lot better than the mac laptops, but more important it has all the features that make them a pleasure to use for everyone from the casual user to the serious student or business man or woman. This computer is a 17 inch hd touchscreen, has 1 terabyte hard drive, 12 gb memory, a dvd burner, this computer has it all. Is there anything it doesn't have you may ask, yes, it's not 1080p. It just falls short at 1600 x 900 resolution, but everything else is there. For the price you'll be crazy to pass it up. A definite must buy for anyone who wants or needs a GREAT notebook pc!
on September 2, 2015
What a powerhouse.

If you use your computer for real work and need full size workstation capabilities on the go, this is the tool for you.

It packs an Intel i7, 12gb of RAM, a 1TB hard drive, and Beats Audio into a briefcase without a strain.

When you get to where you're going, you'll be able to wow your clients with what you can interactively display on the 17" Touch Screen way before you can plug into a projector.

I have to admit to being a long time fan of HP computers. So, I clearly have a bias. That said, this laptop is exceptional among the other HP Laptops / Workstations I've owned and there have been a few.

In the course of any day, I run a full suite of Adobe Creative Cloud Apps including After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design and more. I also put this to work doing 3D design in Maya, Mudbox, iClone, and Daz 3D... It handles those chores brilliantly. It's about as close as I think you can hope to get to a workstation while also having a portable solution.

The keyboard, videocam, and track pad all work as expected. I use a Plugable video adapter with this laptop to power 2 1920x1080 Samsung monitors in addition to the Laptop's own 17" screen.

To be honest, I wasn't all that happy with Windows 8.1 and that kind of turned me off a bit, but now that Windows 10 is here and is also a free upgrade for this machine, I decided to write the review because this Laptop is worth a serious look.

Thanks

Joe (Creatively.Me)
on May 15, 2014
I was hesitant buying something with windows 8 but it came to the point where I needed a new computer. I have always and will always buy HP. This laptop does NOT disappoint! It has the fingerprint reader, touchscreen and various other great features. You can easily go into windows 7 at any time. I would not hesitate to buy this!
on January 29, 2016
Love this laptop, but only since it's been working.
I received this as a 'warehouse deal' that was advertised as 'new'. There were two problems with this purchase that led me to be convinced it was NOT new:
1) The previous owner had damaged the screen to the point that, though not visible except for an external scratch, resulted in the 'touch' functionality not to work. HP support was great, replacing the screen and covering the cost of shipping back to them for repair.
2) The wrong power cord was in the box. I only realized this after calling HP support when my unit would not hold a charge. HP support again, sent a fresh cord - the correct one - for this laptop.
3) The warranty on the HP end was showing this unit was purchased in September 2014 - which was months before I received it. The previous owner apparently bought it then, and must have damaged it and returned it. I had to work with HP to extend that full 2-year support warranty out to when I finally took possession.

If you don't mind the hassle of having to deal with this type of problem directly with the manufacturer, then go ahead and purchase a Warehouse Deals item. But be prepared for working out the kinks on the phone with various customer support reps in different countries.
Overall, I'm pleased. This computer is very nice for the money. But it 'cost' me in terms of my time.
on May 16, 2014
Normally I buy cheaper laptops, but decided to go for this one. Great processing speed, memory, etc. Very comparable to laptops 50% more in price. This is my first Window's 8.1 laptop and using touch laptop. It doesn't function the same as a tablet, so I'm still familiarizing myself with the operations. Overall I love the new toy.
on June 17, 2014
I had my IT guy help me with installing an SSD card in this laptop rather than having the hard drive. So, this review may not be what you're looking for. But we love the speed this gives us. We did have to run a Malware program to remove all the pop ups that seem to come with a new computer. The touch screen is very nice since we've become accustomed to using touch screen devices. It does come with an SD drive which I still use with my cameras - and also the cd drive.