Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 519 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 663 reviews
HP's Chromebook 11 is my second Chromebook because, after one year with Samsung's Chromebook I came to realize that not only a Chromebook does almost everything a laptop or a PC or a tablet would do for me but it does it cheaper, usually faster and better, almost always worry-free and very much in style.
_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (Oct 26, 2014): I placed the HP Chromebook 11 next to the new Acer Chromebook 13 CB5-311-T1UU (13.3-inch Full HD, NVIDIA Tegra K1, 4GB) as I was reviewing it. My goal was to compare looks and display quality and HP's incredible near-180-degree viewing angle and bright picture still outshines that of a newer, more expensive machine with a 1080p display. I thought I'd share this. The HP is the smaller Chromebook, the one on the left.
_____________________________________________________

UPDATE (Dec 26, 2013): I am glad to see HP's 11-inch Chromebook available again. We've been using ours all throughout the charger 'crisis' and we are as happy with it today if not happier than we were on 'day one'. More than two months later, HP's Chromebook 11 continues to be a beautiful little device with a great display that continues to do most of what I require during my off-work hours. It traveled with me on my vacation and will travel with me again and it's there (on couch or on my bedside table) when I need it.

WHY A CHROMEBOOK?

There's so much to say here but let me make a quick summary. And never forget that we are talking about an 'under 300' device here because, yes, anything that costs 3-4-5 times as much should do better most of the time.

˕ My Chromebook is my most used computer excluding work hours and by 'computer' I mean PCs, laptops and tablets.
˕ Malware, spyware, adware-free. Since nothing is really 'installed' on the Chromebook, I can't see how one would ever be infected. I am now using my Chromebook to open suspicious emails or click on dubious URLs that I don't dare touch from a laptop.
˕ Extremely safe OS. I don't know if this is common knowledge but Google is constantly challenging hackers to crack their OS. As far as I know, Chromium wasn't cracked yet.
˕ Easy to share among any number of users without any concerns of compromising privacy. If you have a Google account, you simply sign in and you are going to be within your own, personal environment.
˕ Constantly updated and upgraded. Google updates Chromium every few weeks and I found my Chromebook actually getting better all the time rather than slowly fall into obsolescence. HP's Chromebook will not replace Samsung's, it will be used by another family member who really, really wanted one after watching my happy relationship with our first one.
˕ Nearly maintenance free. Whenever I don't use a tablet or even a laptop for a while, they tend to get very busy for a while once I turn them back on. Tablets, especially, are almost impossible to use until all those dozens of updates/upgrades process. Not the case for Chromebooks. Whatever upgrades may take place don't hit my Chromebook. Whenever I call up an app, I get it in its latest version.
˕ The attached keyboard helps a lot. Yes, you can pair a keyboard and even a mouse to a tablet but the Chromebook's keyboard is always there, it negates the need of a stand or even some protecting case.
˕ Chrome OS is streamlined and efficiently focused where it matters, on the everyday uses most of us need a 'computer' most of the time.
˕ Chrome OS being such a streamlined OS, browsing and running apps on a Chromebook is in fact faster than off a PC/laptop/tablet of equivalent specs.
˕ Relatively low prince, 11.6" display and light weight seem to be just about right for something that typically you'd be using to browse the Web while watching TV or take to and from school.

WHY NOT A CHROMEBOOK?

Yes, Chromebooks can't do everything. Google's productivity suites notwithstanding, they are mainly and they are best at media consumption rather than production. Nobody should buy a Chromebook and expect to be able to edit video or perform some heavy word processing or do some hard-core gaming. There are other machines and devices for such tasks. My experience is that a Chromebook can't do 'everything'. Tablets are more portable, PCs and laptops are more powerful but, to me, my Chromebook is the most fun to use and it's likely to stay this way. I am not going to call it my 'second' or 'third' or 'first' computer but, objectively, it's the one most use outside business hours if what we measure is 'hours'.

HP's CHROMEBOOK 11

I haven't spent a lot of time with HP's but, from the start, it was a very familiar feeling. HPs is not 'exactly like' Samsung's but it's easily recognizable as a Chromebook.

Here are some changes:

˕ USB-based charging. This is a BIG thing. The biggest negative in the case of Samsung's Chromebook was the proprietary charger. HP's USB-based charging allows the use of most off-the-shelf chargers so there's a lot less to worry.
˕ Better quality display. When compared to Samsung's the colors are sharper and brighter and you can view the screen from almost any angle left/right or up/down.
˕ Nicer keyboard. It's the same layout but the keys seem to have a little more travel. As a touch typist I am comfortable with both but, on a blind test, I would probably pick HP's over Samsung's.
˕ Somewhat more stylish design. I got the black model and I like both the color and the color accents. Some prefer 'silver' but they are both Okay as far as I can tell.
˕ Fewer ports. There are no USB 3.0 or HDMI ports on the HP's even though my understanding is that you can, in fact output HDMI through the Micro USB. This may be a big deal for some and they should get Samsung's if that's the case. Speaking for myself, I never felt a need to output HDMI off my Chromebook, ever. Same for USB data transfers.

Overall, I am very pleased with HPs device. The lack of USB 3.0 and HDMI ports amount to a big 'nothing' to me and their absence is balanced and surpassed by the non-proprietary charging method, much nicer display and better keyboard.

RATING

I am not going to compare HP's Chromebook with the Pixel or some top of the line laptop. I noticed that many 'pro' reviewers are complaining because Chromebooks and this particular one are not 'high end' and aren't as nice as the Pixel and such. Well... did anyone check the prices? So, yes, let me make a 'duh' statement: this Chromebook is not as good as devices that sell for 3 times or 4 times as much so anyone who doesn't mind paying more should pay more and get one of those. Even though... look at some reasons above for why one my prefer a Chromebook to a laptop or a tablet, regardless of price.

HPs is a five-star to me because it's at least as good and in some way better than my now one year old, often used and much trusted Samsung. The thirty dollars price difference between the two can be justified by HP's supporting USB charging, its much nicer display and its marginally better keyboard. As far as performance, they both appear to be up to the task and they both played Netflix movies flawlessly over Wi-Fi and cast them to the big TV through Chromecast (no need of an HDMI cable for that) - I mention it because I just tried that.

Chromebooks are not for everyone and they are not a universal computing device but, if used for what they are meant to be used, they are as good and as revolutionary as tablets.

CHROMEBOOK vs. CHROMEBOOK (HPs vs. Acer C720

I had the opportunity to play with Acer's Chromebook for a day and was therefore able to compare them side by side.

- Advantage HP -

˕ Looks and design. HPs looks much better in my view, you have color choices and that's that.
˕ Display. Same size, same resolution but HPs display is brighter, sharper and, most importantly, can be viewed from almost any angle. Not the case with Acer's.
˕ Charging. The ability to charge HPs Chromebook through almost any USB charger is very important to me. Acer's charger is proprietary.

- Advantage Acer -

˕ Horsepower. Acer's appears to be faster and it should be given its faster processor.
˕ Ports. You get HDMI out, USB 3.0 and SD card slot, all of them missing on HP's machine.
˕ Price. At least at launch, Acer's was selling for less.

I would say it's a tie when it comes to the keyboard and track pad's feel.

Acer's machine has the advantage if you are more 'productivity oriented' and need expansion capabilities (ports) and more raw CPU power. You would prefer the HP if you want a Chromebook mainly for fun and casual activities where looks, the availability of a charger and, very importantly, the quality of the display count more.

NOTES:

- Like most Chromebooks, this one too comes with a free 100GB in Google's cloud for two years. I didn't take advantage of that offer and I'm not going to go for this one, simply because I have no use of 'cloud' storage that goes beyond Gmail at this time.
- While Chromebooks are immune to viruses and other forms of malware, you are as tracked and 'monetized' while on a Chromebook as you are when browsing from your laptop or tablet or phone. However, there are ways to disrupt and confuse the trackers and my two favorite extensions these days are Disconnect Search (or Disconnect.me) that makes it impossible for Google to log your search activities and DoNotTrackMe which does what the name implies. Worth trying.
2626 comments| 626 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2013
First of all, I believe that words can't express how satisfied I am with my new HP Chromebook. It is super thin and light and extremely beautiful. It is so practical that I can charge this laptop with the same charger of my smartphone and the other way around. This is the best laptop on the go.

The screen is very sharp, bright and high quality. Keyboard feels great when typing, speakers sound comes from the keyboard which makes this Chromebook completely sealed. There's no holes, moving parts, or anything that makes any noise.

Chrome OS has had a lot of improvements since last year. There a lot of offline apps, better notifications and a lot of awesome extensions. Free Google Drive 100Gb is still awesome.

I want to acknowledge that this is not a high performance laptop and is not suitable for high demanding 3D gamers. But for the price you will be fully satisfied because obviously this Chromebook has a really affordable price and is very pretty and performs almost all the task a regular computer does(and some extras that traditional computers doesn't).

One thing worth mention that this computer excels is Sound. Speakers are very rich, precise, loud and clear. Music lovers will enjoy the clarity of the music. You can really enjoy watching a movie due to the richness of the image and the quality of the sound...

I love this Chromebook because it just do the job well done!

Any questions please feel free to ask it in the comments below section...
1818 comments| 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2016
As a college student, I didn't want to carry my heavy laptop everywhere so this was such a great replacement. It was so light and fit great in my pack bag or even handbag. I only used to to surf the web and sometimes do online homework since it didn't have many functions as a laptop. But it stopped charging after a couple months, I bought another charger thinking the old charger was broken but still didn't charge so I figured it was the chromebook itself that was not working. I'm kinda disappointed of how long it lasted but for when it did work, it was such a great device to have.
on November 11, 2015
Go with the Samsung. We have two Samsung Chromebooks but I liked the design of this one. It didn't last a year and it started having charging issues. The battery would not hold a charge and I would get two hours max from a full charge. Usually it's more like 60 minutes and then the battery is done. Since the problems started at about one year in, I didn't bother to contact customer support. I'll just buy another Chromebook in the $149 range.
on February 25, 2016
I bought this Chromebook for my daughter in September 2014. She loved it and used it to take to class all the time. It's a perfect size to fit in her backpack and very light. The problem is a little over a year later it stopped working!!! I bought HP because it's a name brand and I was counting on the quality of the product. Apparently technology is now made to be disposable and not built to last.
on January 9, 2016
Had a Samsung Chromebook previously, but I really, really love this HP Chromebook. It looks fantastic, battery lasts me all day, and whatever issues they had with the charging cable has since been worked out as I have had no issues with mine.

Highly recommend for all you Chrome OS fans!
on January 10, 2016
Neat little chromebook. Very inexpensive. Boots up in no time like any chromebook, but very limited when surfing the web, watching movies, and even just simple tasks. There are many better options out there whether it be a cheap tablet, chromebook, or even a windows laptop.
on February 20, 2017
Bought this product for my two kids ages 12 & 14, but sadly none of the two chromes are working. One went blank after about 4 months and the second second now has a speaker problem. However, I cant tell if the problem is with the quality of the product or my kids handling.
on November 23, 2016
Good points is that it's portable, sleek, long battery life. But Chome OS is not compatible with my Canon printer and many other hardware and software applications. Also, the plug for charge is very fickle. I've asked for a replacement plug, but it still not fit properly inside the port. I've since bought another laptop (Lenovo yoga) that so far seems to be more practical.
on January 15, 2016
Bought this for my mom, who's never used a laptop before. It's perfect for her to do her online payments and banking and she uses it mostly for youtube, and music. It's user friendly and she's had it for maybe a couple of years now and we haven't had any problems with it.