Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 5, 2017
I bought this in 2011 and it just physically broke on us (usb connect in the back completely fell out). A couple things that made it challening:
1) if you printed more than 5 pages, the printer got very steamy and the pages would curl
2) the scanner feeder would pick up more than one page at a time often
3) the software for the scanner would make the scans GIANT (even black and white) so I had to spend a lot of time editing them.

Hopefully technology has gotten better since!
0Comment|Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 14, 2013
I would not recommend this machine. The scanner function is terrible. Both software and hardware. Paper feeder works - sometimes. Sometimes it will only take the first sheet sometimes none at all. The scanner function will sometimes scan all of the document. Sometimes it won't. Sometimes the scan will be readable, sometimes it is not. Sometimes it will scan all of the text on a page sometimes it won't. Will scan black on a page but not blue.

After all this time you would think that HP could get this right. We are a small business and the scan function is key for us.

I guess it deserves one star because it does print.
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
77 comments|Report abuse
on November 5, 2011
For my purposes this printer works perfectly. As others have said set-up was a breeze and in no time I was able to print. Based on other reviews I did not attempt to set up wireless (I have enough headaches) and opted to use a USB connection. I did not go out and purchase a dedicated USB connector cord, but simply used one from an external CD burner that I don't need to use all the time. I figured it is the rare case that I would be using both at the same time and could save a dollar by simply plugging and unplugging when I needed it.

The copies are quite crisp and I love the document feeder which allows me to feed items to be copied through at a very decent speed. It is not hinged but you can't have everything. It is also not blazing fast but it beats using my expensive color copier, driving someplace to make copies or using the copy feature on my fax machine which is a horror story in itself but gives me a slightly reasonable facsimile.

I know others have talked about the number of copies but my color copier drinks ink like a sailor so all in all this one seems reasonable. I say that because the printer companies seem to have made it a rule of thumb to sell the printer cheaply and then make their money back on the ink. We all seem to have learned that lesson. That said, I will not be copying large volumes so the cost on this printer is reasonable.

All in all I am pleased with my experience with this printer, and for a small office it offers flexibility at a decent price.

3MONTH UPDATE:
Have had the printer for awhile now and wanted to update my review. Initially I thought the printer made copies at a decent speed. However, after comparing the speed with copies made by a large machine at work I now realize my little printer is pretty fast.

I don't make a huge number of copies but after setting copy quality to a decent range, I am more than pleased with the number of copies I have received from the original ink cartridge. So pleased in fact, that my color copier (an ink abuser) has sat idle since getting this baby. I love the document feeder as it allows me to copy almost anything with few restrictions.

My one complaint, if you could call it that, is there is no way to make legal copies (at least that I have found). However, you can reduce the document down to letter size with the resulting much smaller font. But a small price to pay for the convenience of getting quality copies with a minimum of fuss.

It was worth every penny I paid and more. If you have a small office this is the copier for you!

7 MONTH UPDATE:
Copier is still going strong and making great copies. I have been making a lot more copies than in the beginning and finally had to order more toner. However, I am working on draining every last drop from the original cassette that came with the copier. Each time toner quality declines, I take cassette out, shake it and return to the housing and it keeps making great copies. I have not had the driver problems others mention and WOULD DEFINITELY BUY THIS COPIER AGAIN. That said, I am not really a fan of HP but they have exceeded my expectations on this one.
on February 2, 2012
I was extremely leery about setting this up. I was sure it was going to eat up my whole weekend and I would end up frustrated and cursing with a non-functional printer. That was not at all the case. Setup was very quick and it works great.

We have high-speed DSL. The DSL box is our wireless network router. We have a PC laptop, a Mac laptop, and a Mac desktop, and we wanted all to be able to access the printer. I connected the printer to the DSL box with an ethernet cable, and the printer was automatically assigned an IP address by the DSL box. As directed by the printer instructions, I printed out an information page, which showed the IP address of the printer. Still following the instructions, I entered that IP address into a web browser on the PC, and it was able to install the printer driver on its own. From the Macs, I had to use the disk that came with the printer to install the driver, but it was no problem. We now can scan and print from any of our computers. Haven't tried the fax yet, but the only people I know who fax things anymore are realtors.

Printer is fast and print quality is great. The printer is smaller than I expected from the photo. It's a little noisy when you first turn it on and when it's printing, which might be an issue in some situations.

Overall, I was extremely happy that I was able to get it working so quickly, which was a big plus for me.
on December 17, 2012
My husband and I do a lot of personal printing and needed a printer that was economical to run. I was so tired of buying expensive ink cartridges so my son suggested that we purchase this Laser Jet Printer by HP.

We were so happy with it that 6 months later the printer in our summer cottage gave out and we bought a second one for the cottage. I have only had one paper jam in almost two years and that was a snap to remove. Three cheers for this printer.
on January 3, 2016
This is an excellent printer. I have purchased 2 of these over the years for my own use (one at home and one at work) and have had zero issues with them. The toner cartridges are readily available for minimal cost, the print is sharp, copying, printing, and scanning are extremely simple. This printer is also network/wifi adapted and super easy to set up and get to work. I am so impressed with this product that I ordered one for our nursing staff at the medical facility in which I worked. You definitely can't go wrong with this product!
HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf  Printer (CE841A#BGJ)
on April 5, 2011
I purchased this laser printer to replace an existing inkjet printer I have had for about 5 years in which the print head kept getting clogged (replaced 3x cost $50 a pop). So I decided to buy a monochrome laser printer because I primarily use my printer for b/w printing anyway. So it took me a while to receive the item form Amazon because it was back ordered but no complaints there, it eventually came to my house. Right out of the box you could definitely tell that this printer was made more cheaply than my Canon inkjet printer, but for the price I paid for it ($125) you can't really ask for a better wired network laser printer. The only complaint I have is the installation process and the fact that the CD that came with the printer did not even include the exact driver for the printer... Anyway the driver worked; installation took me about 10min per computer, setting it up for a wired USB and wireless connection. -This process was simply and easy to follow, just follow the prompts. I have been using the printer for about a week-and-a-half now and it's excellent. I would recommend buying this as a home use printer only though, not recommended for businesses. At $63 per OEM cartridge to replace the toner it is very expensive- I will be buying generic right after the "starter toner runs out" Hope this helps.

Update Aug 2012: The printer is still working great, and I have been using generic laser toner I bought from Amazon in a (2) pack for $30. (That's $15 a cartridge) with no issues. HP has a firmware update 20120206 which you can find at the hp website, which allows you to set up an HP ePrint email address to the printer. This will allow you to print any file or document by simply attaching it and emailing it to the printer from anywhere and any device as long as you have an internet connection and the capacity to email documents. This feature is what separates this printer at this price-point from its counterparts. I did run into some issues with the IP Address constantly changing but once I set it up a manual IP address, all of my problems were resolved. One of the cons is the scanner software it could have been designed better making it more user friendly, but it's not a big deal for me because I do not scan to my computer often.
on February 23, 2014
This printer was purchased to use in my small tax office. As space is limited where I am, I needed something that would provide the same features as the larger machines but with a much smaller size. This is the machine for the job. With most offices now going to a paperless system, part of that requires that certain documents be scanned into the computer and added to the folder with the client's tax return information. This machine makes that job simple. I also was looking for a printer that could use the same cartridges as another printer I was using. This one again, fit that bill. I did not have to spend extra money on more printer cartridges. So, if you need big printing service from a small printing area, this is your solution. After having this printer now for over two years, it still operates as good as the day it was purchased. Excellent investment for anyone's home or office.
on March 23, 2011
We had an old Brother laser jet printer. It had a very good life but after a few moves and then not being used it stopped working. We looked around a bit and decided to go with this HP Laser Jet. All I can say is it is wonderful. Installation was a snap. Do take into consideration that this day in age most companies do supply the USB printer cable. We already had one so that was no problem and if we didn't it would not have been a shock not to have the cable included. I had never set up a laser jet before. That had always been my other half's job. This was so easy! The hardest part was removing the previous MONSTER that weighed a ton! Do make sure to gently shake the ink cartridge other wise it may have a line or real light print. This printer is light and easy to handle. It prints pretty fast and has a very short "warm up time". It is also half the size of the old Brother. I would recomend this printer to anyone wanting a basic laser jet printer. This one has all the basic bells and whistles!
4 helpful votes
on July 18, 2011
I did a little research on the reviews before deciding on this one. we upgraded from our InkJet printer which was about 3 years old, the old one was color but the copies took so long to print and they werent clear. this printer was very easy to set up and start printing. the pages print quick and silent. i dont miss that its only black and white, the color cartridges of the old printer were getting expensive and they really didnt print that many copies and the print wasnt that good. i love this machine. the scanner is so quiet compared to the old inkjet printer. the paper tray on this one holds alot of paper. we use it for just home printing but feel this would work for any small business whether it be at home or in a small shop. i wish i had of bought a laser years ago. we dont use the fax part of it but if we need to down the road its there. all in all, this is a great machine for the price. i dont think i have ever had a printer that sets up so quick and easy. kudos to HP on that part.