Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 82 reviews
on October 20, 2014
I'm an engineer who has used a HP RPN calculators for most of my life at this point, and can't stand to use a standard calculator. I have an HP-48sx (and a backup gx) but wanted something smaller, lighter, to carry around. This appears to be the cheapest RPN calculator HP sells currently. Even though it is targeted to business folks, it has the core trig functions, etc. (although some, like inverse trig, are down in menus, ew). It's bulkier than I would have liked, but much lighter than my 48. It doesn't use its two-line display to display two levels of the stack, which is stupid. I plan to mod my to the WP34s (look it up), which will turn it into a over-featured scientific beast. The keys are good, but not as good as the old days.

Meanwhile, HP, make the $10-$20 basic RPN scientific calculator--alongside your algebraic models in that bracket.
on December 11, 2014
What you're buying is hardware; for that it's good. Buy it and then convert it to the WP-34s. You will then have the finest in handheld number-crunching nerd heaven. If you are not familiar with the WP-34s you can download a WP-34s emulator for iOS from the App Store and try it out on your iPhone. It's FREE.

The price for the calculator itself is stupid cheap, and the WP-34s software is FREE. Excellent documentation in the form of a downloadable PDF manual is also FREE. Quality preprinted and die-cut keyboard overlay and labels from Eric Rechlin will set you back $6. Conceivably, you can make your own from the documentation. Minor, though somewhat tedious hardware modifications can add a real time clock, USB port and IR LED for printing.

Battery life is good but the WP-34s firmware is a little more demanding. Expect three to six months in daily use. Buy a supply of CR2032 batteries and you'll be all set.

The operative words here are INEXPENSIVE (for the calculator) and FREE (for the firmware). Buy two of them, or more. This is a no-brainer.
review image
on May 3, 2015
This another example of poor Chinese manufacturing quality. My model frequently malfunctions by reverting from RPN to algebraic mode on its own.

I picked this up at a deep discount because HP decided to discontinue it. It's a powerful financial calculator that also has a sufficient suite of scientific functions for basic number crunching but it is unreliable.

One big claim to fame of the HP 30b calculator is its ability to calculate option values using the Black-Scholes model. I believe this is the only financial calculator on the market that has this function built in. Certainly no other HP financial calculator currently available has this function. The Black Scholes function wasn't what drew me to this calculator because I don't invest in options. I was drawn to it because of the HP name and the RPN input format. This is where the let-down came in.

HP is the ONLY calculator manufacturer making RPN financial calculator, so there isn't any choice there. The build quality of the HP30b is poor. It's comparable to the poorly designed and poorly built HP33c scientific calculator. I purchased this HP30b almost entirely because of its RPN logic, but guess what. After about a year or two of light use, the RPN setting on mine does not reliably stick. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, it reverts back to algebraic logic on its own after sitting on my desk a few days. I bought another HP30b and the same thing happens. If I didn't catch the change I would be greeted with a wrong answer during calculations. This kind of unreliability is simply intolerable. This calculator was not built to the same quality and reliability standards as the HP calculators that used to be manufactured in Singapore or Malaysia when I was in college in the 1980s. This could have been a factor why HP decided to discontinue this calculator.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2014
This calculator is poweful enough to go with you through most of the school,as it has not only business function but also basic scientific. Other features:
- RPN option
- programmable.
What I disliked from it:
- no manual: you have to print it from the website: awful.
- sometimes you need to click hard some keys to have a response.
on February 19, 2016
Bought this to convert to a WP-34S, which is an amazing project. It has an ARM processor that is quite powerful, but the display and particularly the keys kind of suck. Even with the WP-34S conversion and overlay I find myself using it less and less due to missed keystrokes. If you can't trust a calculator to track your key input without watching it like a hawk every inch of the way then it's pretty useless. Waiting for HP to wake up and do what they used to be able to do but somehow forgot. Slowly coming to the realization that those halcyon days of basic engineering are likely in the rear view mirror for us as a species.
on May 10, 2013
Contrary to some of the other reviews, the quality of this unit seems above reproach. The documentation supplied with the unit was not up to HP standards, however.
*** Update *** After about 8 weeks, unit is still solid and operates flawlessly. The RPN mode is not quite classic HP XYZT stack. Classic HP stack lets you square a number by typing in the number, hitting the enter key, which duplicates the X register into the Y register, then you hit the times(*) key, which multiplies the X and Y registers, with the results deposited into the X register. With the HP30, you need to hit the enter key twice in order to duplicate the X register into the Y register. Once you know this, it's no problem to acomodate the differences.
on September 14, 2014
The calculator also works reasonably well as a scientific calculator having essentially the same functions as the original HP-35, though most requiring the shift key, which isn't as bad as it sounds. I did discover a bug, which I had not seen previously reported, which is more annoying than serious. While the STO MODE capability can be easily used to change most modes, it does nothing if a 12 digit number is supplied, as provided by RCL MODE. Which means that the suggested procedure of RCL MODE at the start of a program and then STO MODE at the end of the program accomplishes nothing.
on September 24, 2013
I needed a replacement for my HP 10B after many many years of faithful service. I wanted another HP product. The HP-30B is way more horsepower than I will likely ever need. In my world I tend to do more complicated financial or mathematical work on a spreadsheet. Everyone's phone has a simple calculator. Did I really need the 30B? No, but having said that I really like the look and feel of this calculator. In time I will learn to use more of the functions. The price was reasonable. So for now I would say that I am pleased with this purchase.
on September 7, 2014
This calculator was very inexpensive, but it is very hard to use. I ordered enough for a small real estate class, and we all had difficulty getting the simplest TVM problems to work out. In fact, I am not yet convinced that there isn't some internal programming error in this unit. I would recommend you spend just a little more money to get a calculator that is easier to operate.
on August 2, 2015
I have used HP calculators for the past 20 years, and been very pleased. Out of the box this one was a good calclator. It has reasonable functions, and met most of my needs. However, after 2 years of very light use for a few MBA classes, the delete button is stuck and some of the other keys are slow to respond or misrespond. I am very disappointed. HP only offers 1 year of warranty, so I am out of luck.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.