Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 15, 2011
The cost of this printer in exchange for durability and portability is well worth it. I have been using this printer during my deploymnet to Afghanistan, and it has been a workhorse. It sits in an Army tent in the middle of the desert on top of an old field desk. The print quality is comparable to any full-size HP printer, and the speed is great. I also purchased a cover for it to keep the sand at bay, and I will soon be getting a battery and Wi-Fi adapter, so that I can bring it down to the USO. Good job HP.
3 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
I've got a bit of a love-hate relationship with the H4700. It's a necessity in many cases, and has saved me a few times with last minute print jobs that I overlooked or the ability to print out drafts in a hotel room, conference center, or even airport. However, there a few things that really frustrate me about the printer. The primary of these is that HP should have named this the H4700-ala-carte printer because everything aside from basic functionality requires the use of a dongle (for wireless and blue-tooth, both of which cost nearly fifty dollars each) and if you want to print photos or graphics, you need an additional ink cartridge. Then there are a few functionality issues:

1. The blue-tooth connectivity is a bit sporadic, and each time the signal is lost, it takes some messing around to get the print job started back up.

2. The loading tray for the paper is a bit prone to jamming, but I suppose nothing worse than most printers with a top loading tray. This of course occurs at the worst possible moments; but that's probably just Murphy's law and not HPs fault.

That said, once it is printing, it does a fine job of it. Text looks fantastic with the supplied cartridge, and is indiscernible from text printed on a standard printer. Set up is easy as long as the blue tooth connects, and the printer will churn out its 14 pages per minute without complaint.

For a portable printer it's good but not perfect. Make sure you factor in the cost of either a wireless or blue-tooth dongle if you want to use it that way, as well as a print cartridge for photos/graphics if you're planning to print more than text. Even with a few complaints, the usefulness of the printer speaks for itself.

4/5 Stars.
33 helpful votes
34 helpful votes
on July 27, 2011
I have always been happy with HP printers. I was excited about getting the H470, due to its compact size. Since I was going to be on the road for a month, I had it shipped to my son in NY so that it would be ready for me when I got there. It installed nicely and the test page printed beautifully. Then, when I tried to print documents from my computer, it would not work. 11 hours on the phone with two different techs at DELL, and they could not get it to work. I could not print anything, not even to PDF. They suspected that maybe it was a faulty USB cable. I bought a new cable and it did not help. We tried un-installing, and re-installing several times. They even found an older print driver and tried it to no avail. The DELL tech said that it was the first time that he was stumped and could only conclude that the electronics in the printer trashed my spooler files. We tried new spoolers and that did not help. Finally, I bought a new HP printer for $29 at the nearest Office Depot (45 miles away) and it works beautifully. The only conclusion now is that the H470 is defective.
2 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on July 28, 2014
I'm a call out automation tech. I drive a lot and I fly a lot. I had another HP printer before, but it was really heavy. I found the H470, but it was really expensive new. I found this one used. It was a great deal, but I was a little apprehensive. The seller had good reviews so I bought it. When it arrived it was packed well and had everything in the box they said it would. It had a little visible wear on it, but that doesn't matter to me because I work in the field. I just wanted to print tickets and wiring diagrams. And it does that very well totally wireless. I'm very pleased with the product, price and I would recommend this seller.
on November 9, 2017
This is my best friend when I travel for work! It does the job and it’s not very loud.
on March 20, 2011
If you are planning on using this printer with Windows7 OS, find another printer. It does come with a disk, however the software must have been written so poorly that it just does not work. After hours on the phone with Tech support (problem was not fixed) I decided that I would prefer to return the printer. First they said I can not return the printer. Then they said I could return it if I pay for shipping and restocking charges. I offered to repackage it (judging by the looks of the box, I am not the first person to return it)and pay return shipping (should have done my homework first, my fault) but I would not pay restocking charges. I had to threaten a charge back to even get a full refund for a printer that didn't work and pay $17 to ship it back. Save your money on this one.
3 helpful votes
on May 30, 2016
Simple printer that works well for traveling. Battery seems to hold a charge fine although I normally use it with a cord. Have not done a lot of color with it, but black and white turns out just fine. Not sure how much air travel I would use it on because it is a bit heavy. I do take it in the car all the time for hotel stays though.
on September 2, 2011
I placed order for this printer on July 29, 2011. I had been out of town but was told it arrived timely. When I came back I attempted to install software but had a problem with it. I called for a return and I spoke to Jarred. He very politely indicated a website for quick help. I insisted on returning and he very nicely provided RNA and return info. Before re-packing, I decided to attempt one more time, based on Jarred's suggestions, and this time I was propmptly successful. The interaction with this company's representative left me with a good feeling and they handled the possibility of return without a hassle nor atttitude.

I am so comfortable with this company, I have just ordered a battery for my new printer from them.

I commend this company for it's poicies and the excellent execution by their representatives.
on February 6, 2010
I plugged it before I left on a trip. It worked fine. When I arrived at my destination it didn't work. Spent almost an hour on chat with Tech assistance going through a useless protocol and then was told the ink cartridges were expired. Bought new cartridges. More time on chat. Still didn't work. I was told a new printer would be sent out immediately. Three weeks later, after business trip and no printer, more chat. I was told someone would call me within 24-48 hours. No call. Returned printer and cartridges to Amazon. I don't really know if it is a good printer when it works. But if you can't get assistance from the manufacturer on a new product, best to go with another product.
5 helpful votes
on November 30, 2016
I usually do not review used items. It's like a used car, you inherit another persons problems. Other than being in need of a good cleaning, printer functioned just fine and continues to give good service. Lost one star for being dirty.