Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 19, 2012
I love this laptop. The more I use it, the more I love it. Large easy-to-use touch pad, large screen with brilliant quality, powerful cpu for a laptop, impressive unique style, great keyboard with number pad, very nice sound for a laptop and much more!

One of the features I hardly cared about or noticed, fingerprint scanning, has been one of the more use-changing features about it. It is great logging in to the computer, all websites and even opening custom sets of pages with a swipe of a finger! That's right, swipe your finger when you're not at a login page, and it opens the specific pages you choose! :)

This computer runs everything I wanted it to (including some high-demand CAD programs!). It is the "best of the rest" when it comes to mid-level laptops. The performance ratings seem to be on par with most $900-$1400 laptops for how I use it (CAD, music, video, browser, lots of specialized background programs such as flux and launchy). I have ran all of those run at once without any major slowdowns.

For me, this laptop is sleek and sturdy and light enough to carry around anywhere. I don't even bother carrying the cord. Want to know why? The battery lasts 7-9 hours with the way I use the laptop (normal brightness, lots of programs running). If I put it on power saver and only run a couple things, that can be stretched out. 7-9 hours of usage is plenty for most any given day while I am out and about.

The glossy screen is not ideal but if that doesn't bother you, the rest of the laptop will impress. This is the best laptop I've ever used. I wouldn't even compare this to a macbook air... macbook airs are not in this class of performance and capabilities. If this package had an apple on it, it would be, just rough guessing :P, $1800 or more.
on January 11, 2013
This purchse was made under a very stressful period of my life. I live between a bay and the ocean and I got completely whacked by Sandy. With 5 ftl of water in my home office, not much was saved including my computer, printer, fax, files etc. The house is a ranch and there was not a room that got spared from Sandy;s violence. To make a very long story short, the first thing I replaced was my computer because I found that being without one was unacceptable. How far we have come in one lifetime! I was in a hotel for two months and am now in a rented house for two to three more months until my house is completely repaired. Without a computer I would have gone stark raving mad and, of course, it was Amazon to the rescue.

I chose this laptop because of the size of the screen and I've always had good luck with HP products. Now if I just had a chair that could raise me enough so that i'm not hitting the wrong letters, but that will come later. This laptop has the capacity I need and the weight of it is not a problem because I don't carry it around. For travelling I have a net book which is going from the sublime to the ridiculous as far as screen size is concerned.

I expect this machine will work for me for a long time.
on October 21, 2012
Alright I purchased this computer about a month ago and so far I am very happy with the choice I made.
Pro's
-Overall the laptop LOOKS great, its got a brushed metal texture that really makes it look like a top dollar computer.
-The screen resolution has been fantastic for me and just what I wanted.
-The AMD processor has proven to be a real workhorse so far and anything I want to do is an extremely speedy process.
-The bloatware that came pre-installed was kept t a minimum so I didn't have to do to much deleting.

So far this computer has done everything I wanted it to do but there have been a few con's.
Con's
-I will echo everyone elses sentiment about the battery sticking out and making the computer sometimes uncomfortable to sit on your lap, the plus side of this is that it keeps the computer elevated and cool.
-The first couple weeks every once in a while the laptop would disconnect from the internet and I would have unplug my router for the computer to pick it back up again..

There are many more Pro's but to keep it short I love the look/feel and speed of this laptop and would purchase it again in a heartbeat!
on October 9, 2012
I bought this laptop after my last one died (well, the screen itself died) about a month ago. It's been a pretty good laptop, even though I still haven't looked through all of the software to see what kind of products are installed. As promised in the other reviews, the touchpad is buggy as hell. Especially when sizing a page, it jumps way too much at the THOUGHT of moving your fingers apart. Also, SimplePass cannot handle the "back" button whilst surfing the web, and will gleefully hang and crash and then tell you about it on every single page. The sad thing is, I don't even use SimplePass, because it is highly irresponsible. You might as well allow every website to remember your password and be done with it, since you'll forget them a week after using it.

Overall I give this a 7 out of 10. It's cheap, fast, and pretty.

Oh, and it has a wicked creepy background you'll grow to love and then change after two weeks.
on November 29, 2012
I'm stoked with my desktop gaming PC and consider mobile technology inferior for gaming, but this AMD Vision laptop offers some decent gaming punch and keeps your battery juiced up to boot. I bought this mostly for work and surfing but have been running Crysis 2 and Skyrim on it with medium/medium high visual presets. I'm impressed! Games like League of Legends and older stuff like Half Life 2, Command and Conquer 3 and Unreal Tournament 3 run flawlessly.

I would recommend a reformat after unboxing. From the HP Recovery Manager, there is a "minimum" selection that will reformat / reinstall with device drivers and some "essential" HP software (I still removed the support app). Hewlett Packard pollutes your PC with crapware (what the hell, HP?), otherwise, and I'm not satisfied with simply uninstalling some of that stuff.
on October 8, 2012
This thing does everything well. I am impressed completely with this AMD a10-4600m. It runs Adobe's Creative Suite with ease. The sound is awesome, very impressive. Runs very cool has never felt hot to the touch, I would say it is barely warm. Long battery life. The 17.3 in screen is 1600 x 900 pixels is beautiful. Some people seem to be troubled the screen is not 1080p -- for me 1080p is no deal breaker. Great little unit at a good price. I'm happy.
on December 2, 2012
Love this computer. It is very fast and has a lot of features that are great. I am not getting a lot of use out of the fingerprint feature but otherwise no complaints.
on October 25, 2013
My wife is using this as her portable graphics workstation. Excellent performance - not a problem to report after a year now. A little heavy to lug around but worth it for the screen size and capacity for all her graphics projects
on January 8, 2017
Still going strong four years later.
on December 7, 2012
I looked at windows 8. Great perhaps for pads and phones, but not for my laptop and desktop.

So to assure that I can keep using what I want, I bought 3 of these.

Maybe something better, faster, neater will come along, but I am happy with this HP laptop and with Windows 7

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question