Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP Slate S7-4200US 7-Inch 8 GB Tablet (Slate Silver)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on December 19, 2013
New Hp Slate plus arrived a few days ago, and I can say I am very pleased. HP has addressed the previous version issue with camera picture quality, This new version takes clearer pictures - just remember it is a tablet, They have moved the facing camera to the top right of device and the power and volume control are located on the curved right side of device, app operation format is slightly different then previous version, and has some different software too. Less options on factory installed sounds for Alarm, and notifications. So far I am finding this device is sufficient for what I need a tablet to do. time will tell though as I have only had the device for a few days. For the $$$ Good Tablet.
on January 7, 2014
OK so first thing is that I ordered this tablet among many other items to be delivered by Christmas eve. Unfortunately, this never got to me even though it was tracked as being delivered. Amazon Customer Service was phenominal and promptly refunded my account after I went out to buy it in time for Christmas... 5 star service.

Since I was actually able to get the tablet elsewhere I decided to review. I am not a big tech person but I consider myself of intermediate technical level savvy. The Slate is sleek and has a great display even without HD the picture quality is really good. Easy set up and ready to use in minutes. Good speaker not top of the line (the Slate extreme comes with Beats audio if that's a deal breaker) but the sound is fine for listening to music at the office or washing dishes. I have portable speakers to pump up the volume when I need more umph. The camera quality is good on both the front VGA and rear 5mp. Expandable micro SD slot is a plus. Great game play for faves like Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc. It is compatible with the new Sonic Dash and Angry Birds Go! games which aren't compatible on my Android phone (a big plus for my 5 year old). The best part is the battery life! Excellent, long lasting while in use or idle. I use consistently for hours without it dying. The most I have had it in use is 5 hours after it being fully charged and it still had 30%...and the unit doesn't overrheat even after continuous use.

It's great for email and web browsing. Streams Netflix (via the app not browser), Pandora and YouTube flawlessly.
I can even use video chat and its a clear conversation/picture. Bluetooth and Wifi work great...no hiccups or problems connecting.

The only negatives: 1. not compatible with Adobe Flash Player (not a big deal since the problemI had was solved by downloading the app for the services) 2. When in sleep mode it takes a few seconds longer to "wake up" after pressing th power button than my android phone but not more than 5 seconds (again not a big deal I'm just used to instant"wake up" so it takes a little getting used to).

This is the first tablet I have personally owned but I have used the Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy regularly ....it's definitely a contender at a great price point for the novice to intermediate tech user in need of a quality, basic tablet.
on December 23, 2013
On finitial start up and use it seems to be really nice unit and, very fast for a tablet. Could have better documentation. Also it does not have any type indicator that it is full charged , unless it is turned on and you pull up the battery indicator you have no way of knowing whe it is full charged. Also It would be nice if they would tell you how to stop automatic updates. It seems every time you power it on it has 6 or 7 auto updates ready to install and the skimpy 8 GB memory soon gets eaten up with them.

Another plus is they do not load it down with lots of apps you will never use. All in all a nice tablet for the price.
on December 29, 2013
After doing some research on some other tablets I decided to go with the HP slate 7 plus and so far I really like it.

The quad core Tegra 3 seems to do the job fine so far. It's very responsive, web pages load fast to my surprise. It comes with google crome and Browser both work fine so far. It doesn't feel slow at all when I open multiple tabs just don't go crazy with it. The brightness works very well, I don't have to set it up all the way up to see, something I had to do with the ASUS Memo Pad, when I test that tablet at the store. I'm not sure if that tablet was defective for I try others as well at the store and seem to have the same problem. I watch some clips using Google play store and the videos look great, though it's a shame this tablet speaker is at the back making it kind of hard to listen properly, using the headphones the audio gets much better. I also did try VUDU and the videos look good too but they are standard definition not the tablet's fault, just that VUDU won't stream HD on any tablets for that matter according to VUDU's website. The Display looks good but for some reason the description says this tablet has a resolution of 1280x800 when I downloaded the app CPU-z it shows the resolution 1280x736, so I try another app and it shows the same so I don't know what's going on, still not really a let down. I do wish the power button was at the top instead at the side in an odd angle next to the volume which are also hard to reach when the tablet is laying down or using it for that matter. Like other review mention when the tablet is charging there is no way to tell unless you turn it on. The battery life it's ok it can last you for almost the whole day if your just browsing or watching videos. When gaming spec less time. It comes with 8GB of storage not a lot, luckily I have several micro SD cards and they are cheap too so I add it 16GB. The camera has a 5mp in the back, it's alright nothing fancy. I haven't try using the video so will comment later if it's good. The front camera has .3mp, I would trade the camera function for higher resolution or more storage or more ram, but that usually goes for the same tablets in this price range.

Overall I'm happy with this tablet, much better than the original slate that has a resolution of 1024x600 and beats audio.
I will update if anything comes up.
on September 3, 2014
My HP SLATE 7 is just over 1 year old...07/05/2013
It has been returned to the company 3 times.
The 3rd time they replaced it with a "refurbished" tablet.EACH time it was the same ...recurring problem.
The charging port is loose and will not connect...therefore it can't charge in a plug or to the computer which can not recognize it due to the faulty connection.
It's a shame because it was a great little device, otherwise.
They refuse to replace or repair because it is out of warranty...even though it has been the same problem each time. They would charge as much as it would be for a new one! Well...the NEW one will be a Samsung Galaxy...hope it does not have similar issues.
on June 17, 2014
If you're looking for a basic, inexpensive tablet, then this will work for you. I've had this for approximately 1 month and so far so good. My uses are pretty standard (internet browsing, gaming, apps, etc.) Speed and interface seem to be pretty good, with a pretty good response rate. The battery life is pretty good, probably about 2-3 days with light to moderate use (about 2-4 hrs per day). I was considering some of the cheaper off brand tablets, but for a few dollars more I decided to go with the HP and am glad I did! So far this was a very nice little purchase with no regrets!
on January 27, 2014
I had ordered one of these tablets mostly because it takes a standard SD card and not a special one and I wanted a smaller tablet. The tablet turned out to be more than expected, excellent little tablet. Now a comment on Amazon service. My tablet was to be delivered last Thursday, the mailman came and went and no tablet. Roughly 15 minutes later I was notified by text the tablet wasn't delivered because the address couldn't be found. Excuse me? The mailman just delivered my mail! I called Amazon and they sent another one out to be delivered Saturday. No problem! Wonderful service. Wellllllll, the post office delivered the first one the next day but since this was a great tablet my sister bought the second one. When it comes to online shopping, Amazon can't be beat.
on February 28, 2014
PROS: MicroSD slot. Sleek look. Great cheap tablet.
CONS: Slow response times. Sometimes lags or freezes.

Overall, a good cheap tablet but if you have a higher budget range go for something better.
on June 27, 2014
I purchased this tablet a few weeks ago and it sucks. The tablet freezes when playing games like subway surfers, angry birds, etc. The tablet gets hot quick and shuts down quite often. The tegra 3 processor is so slow. I hate this purchase and would not recommend anyone get this tablet. Save your money and get an ipad, nexus 7, nexus 10, windows 8 tablet, surface, or whatever else but don't buy this product. IT SUCKS!
on April 25, 2014
I bought thi tablet for my 3 YO daughter, it was working very good for her to watch cartoons and playing games, the tablet is fast enough, screen has very good definition, is light, among many other good features, but all the sudden it stops charging, i take it to a repair center and they told me that the charging port was broken, it just have two months of use and not abuse, they change the port but it stills gives a on/off charging signal, results that a internal chraging circuit or chip is also bad.

I dont think that the port was damaged by my wife who is the one that puts the tablet to charge for my daughter, i rather think that is a very weak charging port, so if youre going to buy this tablet take in mind my comment.