Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP Slate S7-4400US 7-Inch 16 GB Tablet (Slate Silver)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on February 3, 2014
For those who want a super quick review, here ya go:

The HP Slate 7 Extreme is absolutely the best value for 7 inch tablets on the market right now. Its MSRP is $30 less than the Google Nexus 7 of the same capacity, and it easily destroys the Nexus 7 in benchmark tests and real world applications. Also, it comes stock with a stylus that works incredibly well. Overall, if you're looking for a 7-8 inch tablet and you don't want an iPad Mini, you simply can't do any better than this tablet.

And now, for the longer review...

PROS:

Amazingly fast and great multitasking ability
Well built
Good (not great) battery life
Nearly pure Android OS
Plays virtually every single game available on Android on highest settings with zero lag

CONS:

Front facing camera is a joke (more on this later)

Let me start off by saying that I did A LOT of research before I bought this tablet. I wanted something up to date, fast, and something that ran as close to stock Android as possible. These three criteria narrowed it down to basically three choices: The Google Nexus 7 2013 (MSRP $229.99; hereby abbreviated G7 to avoid redundancy), the Hisense Sero 7 Pro (MSRP $149.99), and the HP Slate 7 Extreme (MSRP $199.99; abbreviated S7E). One thing worth noting is that the S7E is a rebrand of the Tegra Note 7; it has the EXACT same specs, but better build quality. If you happen to be reading this review because you're trying to decide between the Note 7 and S7E, I'd say go with the HP.

The only other decent 7 inch tablet options were a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (way overpriced for the hardware inside) and the Kindle Fire HDX (great hardware, but runs a heavily modified version of Android and is basically "Amazon - now in tablet form!"). Between my final three choices, I ended up cutting the Sero 7 Pro out because it's very difficult to find for a reasonable price, and because it noticeably lags behind the other two in terms of performance. Therefore, my final two choices were the N7 and the S7E. At first, I was going to go with the N7 because it's the reigning king of bang for your buck 7 inch tablets, but after comparing the two, I realized that the S7E was an even better value.

First, let's talk about specs. The S7E has a quad-core Tegra 4 processor with each core clocked up to 1.8GHz (and a fifth core for behind the scenes operations). The N7, on the other hand, has an older quad-core Tegra 3 with each core clocked up to 1.5GHz. Clear win for the S7E here. Next, I'll compare the screens. The S7E has a 1280x800 screen, while the N7 boasts a 1920x1280 screen. The N7 has more pixels-per-inch (PPI) and a sharper screen, but honestly, you're not going to notice the difference on a 7 inch tablet unless your nose is touching the screen. Win here for the N7, but it's fairly inconsequential unless you're really anal about screen quality.

Moving onto RAM, the S7E has 1GB and the N7 has 2GB. This is another win for the N7, but in actual performance, the S7E's improved processor is enough to make up for the difference and blow the N7 away. Capacity wise, both tablets come with 16GB of space (the N7 also has a 32GB version), but the S7E has expandable storage while the N7 doesn't. Big win for the S7E, in my opinion. Google doesn't include expandable storage on the N7 because they want you to store everything in the Cloud, but I much prefer being able to store things on my tablet.

The last comparison I'll make is between the cameras, and this is the only real fault I find with the S7E. Both tablets have a 5 megapixel camera on their backs, and they both take okay pictures (personally, I don't use my tablet as a camera, but to each their own). Both tablets are also equipped with a front-facing camera, but they differ a bit here. The N7 has a 1.2MP front-facing camera, while the S7E's is only 0.3MP. The front-facing camera on the S7E is honestly horrible, and it's basically useless for video chatting because the quality is just that bad. This is the only aspect of the S7E that's truly bad, and I find it unacceptable that a top of the line tablet in the year 2014 is still using such a low quality camera. This is obviously a big win for the N7, and if one of your top priorities is a good front facing camera, you may want to choose the N7.

After looking at the specs, the N7 and S7E are fairly similar, aside from the S7E having a much improved processor. What good are specs though, right? Performance is what actually matters. And that's where the S7E is simply better than the N7 and it's not even debatable. Despite having less RAM, the S7E is faster than the N7, can multitask better than the N7, and can run more intensive games than the N7. The battery life of the S7E suffers a bit thanks to its powerful hardware, but it still gets 8-9 hours on a full charge (compared to 10 or so for the N7), and that should be enough for most people.

So, at this point, you might be saying, "Alright, so the S7E is faster, but I still don't see why it's such a better value." Let me introduce you to the included stylus of the S7E. In the same vein as the Galaxy Note series, the S7E includes a stylus that you can write on the screen with. Many recent tablets have started to experiment with stylus technology, but honestly, most of them just aren't very good. Many of them have lag problems, or problems with the screen not correctly reading the stylus input. I'm happy to say, however, that the S7E's stylus works flawlessly and is very, very accurate and zippy. I'm a student, so the ability to take handwritten notes is invaluable to me, and it's made even better by the fact that the stylus for the S7E works about as well as any tablet on the market. It should be obvious that the inclusion of a stylus is a HUGE win for the S7E here; the N7 can't even begin to complete because even if you bought a stylus for it, you'd be paying more money and it wouldn't work as well because the N7's screen isn't designed for stylus use.

So, let's recap: The S7E has a much better processor than the N7, comes with a stylus that works incredibly well, and is $30 cheaper. The N7, on the other hand, has a nicer screen, slightly better battery life, a better front facing camera, and better OS support (the N7 gets updates faster because it's made directly by Google). Which one is better for you obviously depends on what you're looking for in a tablet, but for me, the choice was obvious: The S7E was the better value, and I couldn't be happier with it. The N7 is a great tablet in its own right, but it just can't stand up to the performance, features or price of the S7E. You certainly had a nice reign as the king of 7 inch tablets, Nexus 7, but I'm afraid it's time to...

Move, Nexus 7, get out the way, get out the way Nexus 7, get out the way. Why? Because there's a new tablet in town, and you just can't hang.
66 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2014
I have had this tablet for about a week now and I have to say it is great! I had a two year old 10 in Toshiba Thrive that I used mostly for reading, listening to music, and a few apps such as Facebook, Pinterest and Feedly and that is all I really did with my tablet. The Thrive was bulky and heavy so I was looking to downsize to a 7 inch. I wanted something affordable, but not a cheap no name tablet that would be questionable. I was initially looking at the Google Nexus and the Kindle Fire HD. I have family members that have these tablets,so I had a chance to look at those fairly closely. I decided not to get the Kindle based on the restriction to the Amazon App store which left me with the Google. I got a random email advertising the HP Slate 7 Extreme and after looking it over, I decided it was best for me. It has everything the Google Nexus does with the exception of the writing ability and that is what sold me. I am a note and list writer and I have tried to use note apps, but oh the typing (which I hate). I would then have notepads filling up my purse and strewn across my desk at work. It is fabulous to be able to use this tablet to write and save notes. Another feature I like are the front facing speakers since I listen to a lot of music. Several reviews mentioned screen resolution as a negative, but I am coming from a dinosaur tablet and the screen resolution is so improved that I have no problems with it. The only downside I have found is finding a case. None of the ones sold by Amazon will fit this model. I did go to Wal-Mart and find a universal one that seems to do the trick, except the camera hole doesn't line up. I use my phone for photos, so I don't see that being an issue for me. Even though this is advertised as a 7" tablet, it measures 8" x 4 3/4" so take that into consideration when looking for a case.
on July 14, 2014
There are plenty of other reviews on here that hit on all the great features of this tablet and I agree with them. For the money it is the best bang for your buck around.
However keep in mind these notes:
!. The HP Slate 7 Extreme is unique an you may have some work cut out for you in finding proper cases and screen protectors.
The screen protectors were too big and the case I ordered came in incorrectly. - Obviously not the tablets fault.
2. When gaming on this be mindful it will chew through the battery and my biggest complaint is that it didn't seem to notify me when the battery got low. Maybe I missed it as I am still learning all the cool features on this tablet. My fix was to install a battery saver app and I think that will help manage some the background programs that never want to close.
3. Give yourself some time for initial updates. Now I am running Android Kit Kat 4.2.2 but it took two updates to get there.
4. OH yeah a little hidden spec on this is that it has a magnet built in the back. This is perfect for placing it on the fridge while your whipping up your favorite recipe from the web.
So far it is a great tablet and I am very happy with it.
on January 28, 2014
###before I start, my tablet hasn't arrive yet but my little bro got his from the HP website already.###

- I borrow my little bro HP slate 7 extreme to test it out while waiting for mine to arrive from amazon. The build quality is much much better than the tegra note 7 but same spec wise. The tegra note make this weird squeak noise when I press too hard on the back cover but the HP slate 7 extreme is very solid and doesn't make any noise.

#display- I still don't get how 1280×800 is consider as standard these days. Too me, its perfectly fine and clears to see. I know that most people can't go below the 1080 HD display and need something like the new nexus 7 2013 or kindle fire hdx for example. My sister own it and I try it out before. The screen is very dazzlingly amazing but I don't really need it, 720p is good enough for me. If you have ever own the 1st nexus 7 2012, this tablet display is the same.

#performance- the is the reason why I choose this over the nexus 7 2013 or kindle fire hdx. But before that, this tablet only has 1gb ram which today is consider as low/not enough while both kindle fire hdx/ nexus 7 2013 have 2gb ram. You may think will 1gb ram be enough for daily task etc....but remember, this tablet is couped with an Nvidia Tegra 4 chip it. This tablet is whopping fast and I meant like fast faster than the kindle fire hdx and nexus 7 2013 especially when it come into gaming. So far, there is no lag or what so ever while playing games, browsing, email etc...so basically 1gb ram in this is like having 2gb ram. I know people these days use benchmark etc to compare performance wise. This tablet score over 40k on the antutu benchmark test which is insanely high or at least the highest I have seen so far.

#gaming- I have try modern combat 3-4, nova 3, dead trigger 2, asphalt 8, gt racing 2, amazing spiderman, the dark night rises, dungeon hunter 4, iron man 3, archangle etc....pretty much all the heavy games that require lots of power to run and I could say its probably the best experience I had ever had playing game on a tablet....this tablet just smash all those games like nothing even though its only coupe with 1gb ram but the display also help it too unlike the nexus or kindle where its pushing all those pixel on their HD screen like the nexus 72013, its sometimes lag and I meant lagging pretty bad while playing some of these heavy games. Not surprise considering the snapdragon s4 pro is pretty weak compare snapdragon 800 which can be found in the kindle fire hdx or this tablet, HP slate 7 extreme. If your a heavy gamer, than this tablet is probably more suited to you.

# battery- the battery life is on pare with nexus 7 2013 which is about 8-10 hrs depending on how you use it.

#camera- the front camera is only 0.3.....while the nexus and kindle is 1.2 i think. The back is the same as nexus/kindle which is 5.0 but the HP slate 7 extreme take a better pic.

#stylus pen- like the galaxy note tablet, this tablet has a stylus pen which is on the bottom. You can find some videos on YouTube about it being used.

# conclusion, for the price of $199, HP slate 7 extreme is a very good deal. If your into gaming or like to take notes than this is for you and if you don't care not having an HD screen like the nexus or kindle.

##Update 1/1/14---- receive mine 2 days ago on the 30th. I have been using it nonstop every single days now and holy cow, this thing is just too darn fast! Who said 1gb ram is not enough for multi task??!!! Cause this is just flying like crazy!.. I have no lag while using it which is really impresses. I have 5 apps running on the background and this didn't even slow the OS down at all! What's more amazing is that, in setting, there are 3 options for maximum performance(4 core running and no fps lock), balance( 4 core running but fps lock to 60) and power saver mode(1 core running and fps lock to 30 plus only at 1.8ghz).... And am using power save mode....now do you understand the logic behind this? Yes, there are a big difference between power saver mode and maximun mode. In maximun mode, this tablet just literally destroy every things I throw at it, let it be browsing, gaming, multi task etc....I can now say, this is the best android tablet I have own and I have own a few tablet that are android and iOS like the iPad 2/3 and nexus 10, nexus 2012 and galaxy note 2012. Overall, definitely buy this if your into gaming cause this is probably the closest you could get near IOS in gaming performance if you know what I meant......get this....cheers.
77 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2015
This is the last Hewlett Packard product of ANY kind that I will EVER buy. I bought TWO of these to use with DSLR's for remote viewfinders, and they BOTH suffer from the same QC issues! They can't reliably detect when the stylus has been inserted of removed, they both suffer from wonky touch-screen issues, they both randomly get some kind of system application hang which heats up their cases significantly, depleting their batteries (great if you need a hand-warmer), they both randomly exhibit weird issues that cause them to respond very slowly, requiring re-boot, and although I applied an HP system update when it became available, in typical HP fashion it fixed nothing. I regret buying these, and I guarantee you will too!
Stick with Samsung, Asus, or anyone but HP
on May 5, 2015
UPDATE: I found how to fix the stylus. The tip point was loosen, the bottom side (eraser side) was loosen, so I tighten both sides and now the stylus out indicator is working fine now. The stylus is working fine.

Using tablet to read, taking notes, and everything is ok. Only the cracking sounds in the body once in while. My brother bought one for his kids and his experience with the tablet is better than mine. The tablet is working fine. Better quality than mine.

I have had this Tablet for 4 months now. It's build I can say is really cheap. it makes cracking sounds when you hold it. This was an expensive cheap Tablet. I don't recommend anynone buying this device. You can find better options in the market. I guess this is my sole experience. Other costumers have reported satisfying experiences, and that was a factor I took in account. I know is too late to complaint, I should have returned it as soon as it arrived.

To the facts, after 4 months of regular use, reading, playing once in a while, taking notes some times:
- body doing a cracking sound, it feels really cheap in your hands.
- stylus out sensor now always on, if you bend it little bit, it goes off.
- the back cover is like decolored, paint falling off, like if this tablet had 2 or 3 years old.
- the plastic edge of the tablet is like broken in some parts, really cheap.
- performance in general is fine, nice speed.
- sometimes it gets really hot on the back, I have to turn it off to cool it down.
- it crack open the back cover, you can see the back cover like tearing apart from the tablet
- some problems with software after rebooting, saying some services stopped working.
- Direct Stylus not really good, you can use it to work around with the tablet, but for taking notes, I prefer pen and paper, not the best one around.

In conclusion, If you ask me, I would not recommend buying this tablet, you can find better options on the market.
on August 7, 2014
My first tablet, was looking for one for under $200, with 16GB of storage, looked at the Samsung Tab 3 & 4, also the Acer Tablets .However chose the HP Slate 7 Extreme after seeing it listed as a Best Buy with Consumer Reports. Also this table synced with my first smart phone. Now I use this tablet more then my laptop. When I ordered it, it was $179.00,but now it's $200. Still a great price for a tablet like this
on May 28, 2014
I just received the HP Slate 7 Extreme. I researched this device quite a bit prior to purchase, so although it is flawed, I knew what to expect going in.

At first glance it is a nice looking tablet, reminiscent in style to the HTC One cell phone. It is light and feels good in the hand and in my opinion, it looks much better that the Tegra Note 7.

I had hoped that since this device was HP's version of the Note 7, the build quality would be at least slightly better. I was willing to gamble the looks and build quality against the Note's updated OS.

Sadly, I lost the bet. The ports are indeed as difficult and flimsy feeling as many others have reported. Usually people mention the mini-USB connector, but in addition, I found that the SD card slot also does not line up, so the first time I inserted a card, it actually went in between the body of the tablet and the actual card slot causing the card to become stuck. (thank God for needle-nose pliers) Beyond the ports, the body creaks and rough edges abound. The low-resolution screen is pretty lack-luster, and viewing the screen in slightly harsh lighting reveals the grid embedded in the LCD.

So what if anything do I like? I like the size (easily pocketable for me), the looks, the speed, and the stylus. A tablet that includes these features in a really well-built package would have me ready to buy in an instant.

I did have trouble setting up some of my email accounts. After configuration, the process would hang while the tablet reported that it was waiting for the account to sync and that the emails would arrive soon. Eventually I found that if you go into "settings" then "data usage" you can click on the 3 dots in the top right corner of the window and enable "auto-sync data". This seemed to solve the problem.

Finally, you may have seen others mention the crazy magnets in this thing. You can literally hang this tablet like a refrigerator magnet. very odd.

After all that I said, do I recommend this tablet? If you can put up with the wonky workmanship and low rez screen you may grow to love this low-cost speed demon the way a devoted dog owner loves his three-legged mutt. If you demand perfection, move along. This is not the tablet for you.
on April 14, 2014
as the title says, had this tablet come with 2gb ram, I probably would've bought it months ago

after waiting and waiting for Samsung to put out the 8.4 Pro ... and even pre-ordering it ... I got to finally handle one in the "showroom" ... one homescreen, eh? ... I canceled my pre-order

then I saw the reviews on this thing piling up ... everyone says, 1gb is just fine on this tablet

and, I was curious to see how well the stylus worked

simply amazing! ... just like drawing on paper

I really feel a little bad for HP ... had they simply put 2gb ram in this, they'd easily outsell Nexus 7

for that matter, had they made their 8in Slate work as well with the same stylus, and 2gb ram in that, at $300-ish, they'd easily outsell most anything else ... talk about missing the boat!

anyhow, if you're looking for something to take handwritten notes, for the money, ya can't beat this tablet

regardless of money, this is still a strong contender
on February 10, 2014
I've only owned the device for about 3 days now but I can say that I am satisfied enough to keep it. I'll keep it short and simple. This Device is AWESOME! The Tegra 4 processor allows me to play pretty much every game I throw at it at 55-60fps. I can't stress this enough. It really can tear through anything you throw at it and as a gamer this is a huge plus. Despite 1gb of ram the processor compensates for it. In terms of resolution I see no problems. I have browsed the web and watched HD videos and they look great. Bear in Mind a lower resolution means that games are easier to handle which is a plus compared to the nexus 7. I've read some ebooks and I have no problems doing so.

I'd like to comment on the Stylus. When I Originally purchased it the stylus was a secondary feature to me but I ended up really liking it. Its thin, feels well built and is very precise and I tend to use it more and more for browsing and keying in words, this is a nice addition that was unexpected.

First and foremost there has been immense confusion regarding this and the EVGA tegra note 7 which is designed on the same build storage capacity. I can say after testing (un)officially that this device DOES SUPPORT 64GB SD CARDS! EVA note can also do the same. It has to be formatted to FAT32 so in reality this has a max of 64+16 = 80gb (minus O.S. system storage). To do this you need a program and google can take of that. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra class 10 and I would recommend nothing other one than this.

The build quality is very good. It has a very solid feel and I chose this after getting feedback regarding the EVGA Tegra note build quality. This is well made and feels solid so I'm very happy with that.

I'd like to comment on another area of interest. The Usb slot. Usb user have noted that the slot feels weak/unsteady and people have problems putting it in. This includes the tegra note which is a design issue with nvidia's chassis. It does need to be put in the upright position as you could possibly put it upside down if your not paying attention and damage/break the slot. When you put in the USB cable put it in slightly facing upward and it slips right in. Its nothing major just keeping it in mind is important.

All in all i'm very satisfied with the device. Its fast, feels great, and has a ton of memory. I'm definitely happy with my purchase. Nvidia has set the bar high in the tablet space with this device.